SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#509212 - 11/17/23 01:16 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: DannyUK]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By DannyUK

... Yes I saw that! I liked the video but ...

Congratulations on the Pa5x, you can't go wrong with it. I've had one since launch and even yesterday I was still mesmerised whilst playing. Not sure if your Pa5x will come with the latest update but make sure it's upgraded as it will make a big difference, plus it adds many new styles (about 60+) which are outstanding, plus new sounds and multipads.

Hehe, it's easy to be carried away. grin

Thank's a lot, also for your advice regarding the updates. It's probably not equipped with the new updates, I think it's shipped as unopened from stores supplier.
I had a Pa4X for a few weeks, and liked it very much and I thought that if G2 did not knock me totally out, I could just as well go for the Pa5 before I got to far into the OS.
Korg is mostly all new for me, if we forget the MicroArr that grandkids have taken over a couple of years ago.
To start with the updates, (probably have to take one by one?), and put in a microSD card for extra storage will be a fine 'softstarter' for me. It's going to be a exciting winter. cool
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#509213 - 11/17/23 06:26 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By Gunnar Jonny

To start with the updates, (probably have to take one by one?), and put in a microSD card for extra storage will be a fine 'softstarter' for me. It's going to be a exciting winter. cool

Hey Gunnar,

Here's a link to the latest update:

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/software/0/895/4965/

Download the file and read the documentation for a heads up, the documentation is very good.

I am not 100% sure if you will need to do them in order but even if you do there aren't many of them anyway.

The most important thing of it all is to make sure you make a complete backup of your user data because after an update it resets the keyboard back to the factory settings. It's really easy to make a backup, eg, press the FILE button and select INTERNAL and SAVE ALL, and thats it.

However as you will not have any user data to start off with, it would be a perfect time to update as you wont need to save anything anyway so that's one less step to do!.

Ok, but going back on topic, I may be getting a Genos2 after all, I have had some fantastic trade in prices given to me smile

Take Care,
Danny

Edited by DannyUK (11/17/23 06:29 AM)

#509214 - 11/17/23 07:01 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: DannyUK]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By DannyUK

... The most important thing of it all is to make sure you make a complete backup of your user data because after an update it resets the keyboard back to the factory settings.........

Ok, but going back on topic, I may be getting a Genos2 after all, I have had some fantastic trade in prices given to me smile

Thank's a lot for your kind info.
The couple of week with Pa4 gave me a little practise, and I'm looking at Korg's videos, and on top of that, I've downloaded all there is of files and manuals / documentation there is to find. In other words, almost ready to start the fun. 🤞

But there is a thing I had some problems to get to work at Pa4. I bought an assignable volume/expression pedal to control the right hand sounds volume, but never got it to work. Tried all setting there was, but no luck.
The pedal was a Korg EXP-2. I let it go with the sale of Pa4. Thankful for any advise regarding this mystery, never had this sort og problem with other keyboards... blush grin

Wish you all the best regarding to get G2, it's no doubt about that it is a great keyboard and the very best arranger from Yamaha till now.
Maybe I'll go for it too, but not quite yet. rocker
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#509215 - 11/17/23 07:15 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
DannyUK Offline

Thanks Gunnar,

Unfortunately I don't use a pedal so I can't help you with that but maybe someone here or at Korg forums may be able to assist on that.

With regards to Genos2, if I do indeed end up with one (looking quite likely now), its ONLY because I also have the other 2 main arrangers so swapping out a Genos for another one isn't really going to affect me too much, where as I would never trade either the Pa5x or Event towards it, no chance, so it's lucky I have the Genos able to do this.

We'll see anyway. I am just curious about how the drums will sound as they do seem like they are improved.

#509272 - 11/22/23 12:44 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think Yamaha may have goofed a bit with all the effort taken to add the FM section. Yes, it does seem to impress the kids with the Montages, as retro-orientated as they seem to be, these days. But most arranger players actually predate the DX7 years, and realize how short lived the FM fever period was, and that for most of the well known FM sounds sampling them worked fine.

Me, I'd have preferred for them to really concentrate on more articulated acoustic sounds, or even some solo wind and string modeling (á la SWAM) and a breath controller input (that was essential for the DX7!), and considerable more work on the realism of the Ensemble section (revoicing multiple stacked sounds into individual parts for accurate section voicing).

If they want to add a new modeling section, something based on a Jupiter 8 or MemoryMoog type analog would add something that would get more use than a DX7 emulation (that you can’t edit).

Clip launching á la Maschine is surprisingly absent… I was fully expecting a pad bank like the PA5x launching audio clips and pads, and Korg’s ’two styles at the same time’ feature (which I think is the biggest leap forward for the accompaniment section in 20 years!) is missing.

There’s a lot of progress lately with arrangers between the PA5X and the Event, but adding a preset only FM section to the Genos seems so ‘meh’…

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online