SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#509186 - 11/15/23 10:27 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
There will be videos left right on centre now it has been officially launched, however I think there was a bit of cock up with some videos being uploaded before the official release. (Doubt if anybody is going to warry about it though)

As to the instrument itself, it's got some nice extra features for a OMB, (And home players of course) but not really too much if you wanted to use it in a band. (Adding an FM synth and Steinberg's reverb is good though)

Overall, I didn't find anything that said buy me, and certainly not enough to upgrade from the existing Genos.

It's going to please a lot of people, but just doesn't float my boat.

Bill

#509187 - 11/15/23 10:30 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
KeyBTyros Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
A LIVE EVENT i dont know where the LIVE was Because it was actualy al pre recorded !
All people i have had around thought it sucked bigtime !
this is no Upgrade after 6 years !
The most ridiculous part is even ????
Yamaha just made the anoucnement
and this GUY is already playing it while nobody has even the chance to buy it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8noNnRMs3qM
YAMAHA go [potty mouth] your self with this BS release of a fake LIVE event
And how THE F is it possible that this guy allready has the Keyboard
So [potty mouth] NOT loyal to your customers GO F YOURSELF i am DONE
Because i dont like it when people behave like this !!!!!!

#509188 - 11/15/23 11:02 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
"Don't go away mad.........just go away!!

Whew!! I'm definitely that home player who loved what I heard. I'm so glad now that I have one ordered. I think the Bonner vid showed more than the Yamaha one. At least from an audio stand point. Really looking forward to that midi to style program the Yamaha vid showed. The existing style maker might work better depending on the source file? Maybe requiring less button pushing. We shall see.......I see the light!!! -charley

#509189 - 11/15/23 12:06 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: rattley]
KeyBTyros Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
My friend,

I always see the light look at my avatar
There's only 1 thing you never should do and thats is F me
The worst thing from all is i even have to buy it because to keep my money because when i would not my Genos 1 is not worth anything anymore but holy crap i am pissed and trust me i am not the only one ! I am waiting to see what happens but i am certainly not happy and wonder if thats gonna change ! for me its a big fail after 6 years

#509190 - 11/15/23 12:11 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
I watched the presentation as well, KeyBTyros, saw your comments there in the chat :-) you are a very committed player so I can see why you are taking it seriously; still, perhaps there are things yet to process; I also expected (hoped) that there would be some live event, but Yamaha chose to be more practical (and safe);

The thing I'm processing right now is that there were only around 2.000 viewers watching this event. Probably a lot of people were busy and didn't have a chance to watch it. Nevertheless, a new TOTL keyboard from the biggest manufacturer after a long waiting, and in the whole world - 2.000 viewers. It's quite a small number by YouTube standarts. It kind of tells me that any effort in this field is a big effort... When there's 2.000 people ready to watch your presentation... maybe it's difficult to show a genuine enthusiasm; possible they decided that a well-prepared pre-recorded video would make a stronger statement;

So, fewer potential customer means higher prices; higher prices means fewer customers; a vicious circle...

The reality is that people today produce music while using their computers and $500 equipment, and they get sound decent enough for commercial use. Their "studios" a portable enough to fit into a backpack. In the same time arrangers offer something different; but they are no longer a mainstream product. Mainstream products today have names like "Omnisphere", "Kontakt", "FL Studio" and so on...

What I also wanted to say:

Maybe we shouldn't compare Genos 2 to Genos 1... okay, we should, but let's compare Genos 2 to the original Tyros. I think the difference will be evident. But difference between the first Tyros and the second one won't be that drastic. Maybe these are the steps of evolution, they are more obvious from a distance. But, I agree, today we are used to faster changes; while phones have learnt how to talk and listen, arrangers haven't changed that much...

#509191 - 11/15/23 12:23 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: Kabinopus]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
After listening to the best Yamaha has playing it, the Ketron Event just became even more attractive. Ketron, you are even more clearly now in a league of your own! Well done. My arranger LUST just shrank from two to only one. Don't think I will ever need a double keyboard stand again.

#509192 - 11/15/23 02:23 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
TheWolf Offline

Loc: Finland
Well let me tell ya, I am disappointed as ef. I was hoping to blow my wad (of money) all over this baby, but it looks unlikely.

6 years and they come up with some reverbs, DX7 sounds and new drums.

- same loser screen, still small and not tiltable
- no new innovation at all in the style control department, variation, breaks, fills etc. they could have done some AI stuff
- same old vocal harmony, should be TC Helicon quality by now
- same buttons same levers same faders.. they could have added bells and whistles. like an extra leslie lever to the left, for organ stuff, improved placement of other knobs based on player input. some larger programmable pads for extra drum accents and crash cymbs
- no dedicated foot controller since the MFC-10 which was a good unit on the Tyros, of course it's discontinued now. they should have designed a new one for the G2 in a perfect world

I tell ya they don't get my respect. No respect at all. I'll blow my wad on something else then, or just invest the money. This is a shame, I was excited to get back on the stage. I guess I'll have to get a second/third/fourth hand Tyros5..

And Martin Harris looks crushed. Something very peculiar about the dev team.

Edited by TheWolf (11/15/23 04:09 PM)

#509193 - 11/15/23 04:16 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
I've been very seriously looking at the Event too. Actually the module version, the EventX , might be better next to my future Genos 2. Somebody did a 3rd review of one and it showed a bug basically shutting everything down until reset. Haven't heard if it's a global problem or just an isolated incident. Hopefully it's just a software update? -charley

#509194 - 11/15/23 09:22 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
In summary after a 6 year wait - to me this is massively underwhelming in my opinion...
Here are some of my thoughts:

1. The OS looks exactly the same, and im sure its right to assume zero changes in mixer settings, zero changes in the style creator / song creator sequencers, no deeper editing of voices or being able to live edit individual multipads etc. Yes the OS is great and I am a fan of it overall but features are definitely missing that could easily be addressed. It's so disappointing to see no changes there!!

2. The words "FM Engine" is thrown about... Ok I get it we have FM sounds hard coded into the machine - which is good. But its still in a way just like using other standard AWM sounds - what's the point if there's no actual FM editing at the operator level? So the actual "engine" isn't really there for us to meddle with isn't it?? I get it they want to keep the keyboard simple and remain more user friendly (minimal editing required out of the box to sound good) But why not give the functionality to allow for a broader audience so at least it is there?

3. A new piano sound - "character Grand"... this makes me laugh. are they actually silently but not so silently acknowledging that finally they have a piano voice that actually has "character"?... sorry to keep arping on about my 15 year old G70, but the G70 "Grand X" piano voice still sh1ts on the CFX sample they have come up with. Yes the CFX sounds "nice" but I'm sorry if you haven't, because you just need to play that Grand X voice on the Roland to know what I talking about...

4. The guy demoing the Genos 2 in the Bonners video starts by saying "we don't need screens that move" which is pretty much a direct dig at Korg (forgetting that Tyros 1 - 5 had tiltable screens). Then there is all this emphasis on Ambience Drums as if this is cutting edge... ummm do they not know the Pa3x had this like 12 years ago?

I just feel like there's a bubble these people are living in over at Yamaha Land. They are forward thinking in so many ways yet I feel that comes with a strong refusal to broaden the scope and give us more editability and control. Allow people that want to go deep to have those tools available in an arranger.

- Let us change the octave levels of the 8 style parts individually in the mixer.
- Give us deeper sound editing / sound creation capability (oscillator level)
- Let me adjust parameters of each of the 4 multipads individually in Realtime (currently it is a blanket effect covering all 4 at once)
- Give us more extensive style editing features - piano roll editing.
- The Tyros use to have all 8 physical buttons below the screen for style mute / solo parts. These buttons were removed in the genos line and converted to "soft buttons" which don't work as efficiently in the heat of realtime playing. (Korg at least introduced the dynamic pads which can used for this).

Frustration frustration frustration...

Edited by Nick G (11/15/23 09:23 PM)

#509195 - 11/16/23 02:31 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: abacus]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By abacus

Overall, I didn't find anything that said buy me, and certainly not enough to upgrade from the existing Genos.
It's going to please a lot of people, but just doesn't float my boat.

Most of what's presented as news on G2 really don't matter as much for my use. I'm not sure what I did expect, but I'm a bit disapointed even if I think it sounds better than any other Yamaha arranger so far...
Bought a Pa4X-76, liked it so much that I sold it for a reasonable good price and will add Pa5X-76 rather than swap G1 for G2.
I have a feeling about that will give me more musically possabilities and challenges as well as more value for the money. smile
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online