SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
#508538 - 07/11/23 08:01 AM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: jamman]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Do the B3 percussion sounds have the correct behavior on the percussion (single trigger) or are they samples, so percussion on every note?

#508539 - 07/11/23 08:13 AM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: jamman]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Unfortunately, percussion on every note. I think it would probably be too expensive to replicate the 'single trigger' in a board in this price range. A B3 player would pick up on this right away but probably wouldn't be noticed in a band setting, especially a rock band.

Diki, they squeezed as much as they could in for a 1 grand board but the emphasis is definitely on the piano side of things.

chas

#508542 - 07/11/23 05:50 PM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: jamman]
Diki Offline

Yeah. I got to admit, I have a really hard time playing organ on weighted 88’s. I just can’t break my waterfall keyboard smearing habits and skin my knuckles horribly!

It’s getting really hard to find much in this price range in my little boondocks. Wish I could give it a whirl…

#508544 - 07/12/23 06:14 AM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: jamman]
cgiles Offline

Zuki (and Diki), there are many good videos on the FP-e50 but for the things you seem most interested in, go to 11:33 of this site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBwyhpr1dOU&ab_channel=MerriamMusic

It contains an excellent explanation of it's most prominent features.

chas

#508545 - 07/12/23 07:54 AM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: jamman]
zuki Offline

Thanks for the link. I passed over that one, because I wasn't interested in the other board. Hmmm. I still would like to see someone on YT (or Chas!) do a legacy style load and see what happens. Hey, maybe it'll be me (or not, based on results). Also have a shot on an CVP 701 for $500 (OMG). Decisions

Yes, always done when wife is at work. Hey, just completed a master bath remodel (8 weeks) and sold my Nord and backup 4X, so I feel justified.

Edited by zuki (07/12/23 07:55 AM)

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#508546 - 07/12/23 08:21 AM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: jamman]
Diki Offline

For a primary arranger user, the FP-E50 has some problems. For probably at least a couple of decades, Roland’s main arranger style format has used 4 variations and a gradual increase from 4 to 6 fills. This ‘new’ arranger has two variations. So Zuki has a point about how it’s going to deal with any style newer than 20 years old.

Any chance of taking a style from your BK7-m and loading it into the FP-E50, Chas?

With most here being fairly hardcore arranger users, how this keyboard deals with older styles or how easy to edit older styles to use newer kits and sounds (and maybe select which of the 4 Variations it plays) might be of interest…

EDIT: SEE POST BELOW. FP-E50 HAS NO STYLE IMPORT!

Edited by Diki (07/12/23 08:58 AM)

#508547 - 07/12/23 08:57 AM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: jamman]
Diki Offline

I also rewatched the Merriam Music video, and it’s fairly obvious that while the presenter is a highly skilled pianist, he’s pretty unfamiliar with arrangers’ minutiae, even to the extent of firstly kind of drowning out the backing while he plays (and I can’t honestly say he picked a good style to show off the arranger section to its likely sales demographic!) which is a typically rookie mistake, and secondly, seemed oblivious to any concerns about legacy data or style editing concerns.

He also didn’t seem particularly concerned about chord tracking details, seemingly more time was spent on the chord sequencer. I did note that (afaik) this is the first Roland that has any way to edit and import chord sequences. Nice. But it’s still a one section chord sequencer, so unlike the SX/Genos series 8 part chord sequencer, if you use a CS for a song you are locked into a rigid song structure, which kind of negates the whole freedom of the arranger.

I think his end analysis of the strengths of the Yamaha vs. Roland was pretty much bang on though. The Yamaha seems to serve the hardcore arranger user well, but at the expense of weight and portability, and the Roland seems to address the gigging keyboard player’s needs well, but not the gigging arranger user, who would probably put compatibility with other Roland styles pretty high.

NOTE: I JUST REREAD THE ROLAND SPECS PAGE AND NOTED THAT, ALTHOUGH YOU CAN IMPORT CHORD SEQUENCES, THE FP-E50 HAS NO SYLE IMPORT AT ALL. WHAT IT COMES WITH IS WHAT YOU GOT!

I think that alone is a hard pass for a gigging arranger player, but fine for a casual user who would mostly just play piano only, or MIDI it to a more capable arranger (like your BK7-m, Chas) it would be fine. Mind you, you’d have the issue of whether the chord sequencer would trigger the module’s arranger…

BTW, compared to the only other way Roland arranger users could expand their sounds (the old SRX boards) the ZenCore expansions seem like a bargain!

#508548 - 07/12/23 09:48 AM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: jamman]
cgiles Offline

Diki, I've said at the beginning, the middle, and the end, that this board is sparce on arranger features and if I were looking for an arranger, I'd definitely look elsewhere. I feel sure that Zuki feels the same way because why else would anyone with a PA4x want a watered down pseudo-arranger. Because this is an arranger forum there is understandably a higher level of interest in the scant arranger features on what was clearly targeted at players wanting a good-sounding, inexpensive stage piano with a few bonus features thrown in. I think you have to accept the fact that most people interested in this board are far more interested in it's piano capabilities than it's mostly convenience arranger features. I mean, if you want an arranger, get an arranger. Then you can criticize it's features or lack thereof. As the original poster stated in the post title, "not a real arranger but great". I think you have to accept it for what it is. The question is not whether it's an arranger or not, it's 'does it meet my needs'. In my case, it does. I'm not going to hook it up to my BK7m, that's already hooked up to my VP770 in my rehearsal room where it serves it's function extremely well (drums and occasionally piano). The VP770 sits atop my organ and this setup is just perfect for me.

I tend to judge an instrument by how well it performs in the role I purchased it for. With the FP-e50, so far, so good.

chas

#508549 - 07/12/23 10:12 AM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: jamman]
Diki Offline

I completely agree, Chas. Each of us have varied needs and abilities, and I’m not criticizing anybody’s opinion of the FP-E50, if it works for what you want it to do, it IS ‘great’!

Thing is, the thread’s for all of us, many have not had the opportunity to play one much, and not many videos are made with an arranger user’s viewpoint in mind. So I’m just bringing certain aspects of it to the fore so we can make an informed opinion before anyone goes out and buys one just to try it out! Restocking fees and shipping woes make that a lot harder than the old trick of just popping down to your neighborhood music store and playing it for a few hours! The closest one to me is a good 3-4 hours of driving to lay my fingers on one..!

You know that, like you, the arranger section is of less importance to me than for probably most members here, but I feel that widening the discussion beyond just what works for ME is of benefit to the forum.

#508550 - 07/12/23 02:10 PM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: Diki]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By Diki

NOTE: I JUST REREAD THE ROLAND SPECS PAGE AND NOTED THAT, ALTHOUGH YOU CAN IMPORT CHORD SEQUENCES, THE FP-E50 HAS NO SYLE IMPORT AT ALL. WHAT IT COMES WITH IS WHAT YOU GOT!

I think that alone is a hard pass for a gigging arranger player .....

Diki, I might agree IF IT WERE TRUE. Hey Bro, you're spreading more dis-information than Fox News smile. I have downloaded 4 FREE Sound Packs containing about 20+- new styles (all as good as or better than the original on-board styles). Plus, there are numerous Sound packs available. These were all designed and created for the Zen Core synth engine and apparently Roland plans to produce more for this system. Getting them into the FP-e50 is simple using a USB flash drive. They will automatically install themselves in the correct musical category. I have included a post from our (FP-e50) forum that explains it all.

---------------------------------------------------
So here is how to utilize the Roland Zen Cloud to obtain additional Style Packs with the FP-E50:

1) Go to https://www.roland.com/us/products/rc_zenology/
2) Scroll down to download and install the Roland Cloud Manager on your computer.
3) From the Roland Cloud Manager App select, “FP-E50” to see available packs

There are currently four FREE style packs for the Roland FP-E50.
Previews are available to listen to.

* There are also a bunch of sound packs for sale or included with a subscription, that I did not explore yet.

4) Download the style pack(s) of your choice

5) Format your USB drive on the FP-E50 (Menu / Utility / Format USB)
6) Move the USB drive to your computer
7) Copy the .png and .sdz files to the Style folder on the USB

8) Insert the USB drive into the FP-E50
9) Go to Menu / Utility / Import Export / Import Style and select your new style pack.

The new styles will be placed in the appropriate style section, eg. Rock / Pop etc… usually at the bottom of the category list.

So it looks like the FP-E50 will be well supported in the Roland Zen Cloud. Looking forward to new content!

Have fun!
--------------------------------------------------------

chas

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online