SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#508336 - 05/25/23 09:54 AM Re: Anyone still gigging nursing homes etc? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Diki, I disagree with your assessment of packages. Mine were very effective, and I booked multiple jobs with nearly everyone that I mailed a package to. In contrast, I had I website during the same time period, it was very well constructed, appealing, and it was also listed on my package that I mailed out. The customer could book jobs directly on the website and check my booking calendar for available time slots. During the entire 25 years that web site was in place, I did not book a single job directly from the site, and not a single customer of the more than 50 locations I performed each month contacted me via that site. Your mileage may vary, but that was my experience.

Now, as outlined in my statement, the package mailings must be followed up with phone calls and in person visits. This, with the addition of a personalized wall calendar and personalized pen, proved extremely effective. Additionally, because I had my booking calendar with me at the time of the personal visit, I usually booked out the entire year, and in some instances, the next year as well.

Most of these locations were upscale retirement communities, assisted living centers, and nursing homes within 25 miles of my home. Many were under 10 miles from home, which made for an easy drive, no traffic jams to contend with and the jobs were usually in the middle of the day, after lunchtime. A few were at night, during suppertime.

I stopped performing the nite club/restaurant circuit, mainly because the pay was lousy, the hours were lousy, and the times usually involved being caught in some nasty traffic jams, which are constant in and around the Baltimore Metropolitan Area. Additionally, many of the nite clubs and restaurants that had live entertainment were located in Baltimore City, which is not a safe place to be, day or night. We have a claim to fame in Baltimore - the highest murder rate per capita in the nation.

Now, I only know a few OMB entertainers in Florida, most of which have since retired from performing the senior circuit. The vast majority of them used the same, or similar technique to book jobs that I utilized. They had all the work they could handle, or wanted. Like I said, your mileage may vary, but I must respectfully disagree with your assessment of packages. And, as for the CDs, most cars have a CD player in them, and that's where the vast majority of my ADs said they listened to the CD that I mailed to them.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#508341 - 05/25/23 12:55 PM Re: Anyone still gigging nursing homes etc? [Re: guitpic1]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I’m wondering how long ago you did this, Gary? I’ve really noticed the shift away from hard media to website promotion in only that last few years. There isn’t a restaurant or club (or nursing home, from what little of that I’ve done) that will take the time to read a printed promo and find something to play a CD or DVD on.

Every last conversation I have with management asks for a website, or ‘Where can I view what you do online?’. I agree, it didn’t used to be like this, but the shift has come quite suddenly.

#508343 - 05/25/23 01:27 PM Re: Anyone still gigging nursing homes etc? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

I still have contact with many of them, as we have become good friends. They pretty much believe that if they are going to hire someone, that person will have to come to meet them in person, have some reference letters, and as for websites, seems like they are somewhat like Aholes - everyone seems to have one. wink

Good luck,

Gary cool

#508345 - 05/25/23 03:17 PM Re: Anyone still gigging nursing homes etc? [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
as for websites, seems like they are somewhat like Aholes - everyone seems to have one. wink

Good luck,

Gary cool

Uh, maybe that's because everyone needs one. You both have good points but let's face it, we are now deeply immersed in the digital age and Gary, maybe you never got a gig through a website, but these days, even if they don't directly produce a gig, you won't get a gig without one. The times they are a changing.

chas

Edited by cgiles (05/25/23 03:18 PM)

#508349 - 05/26/23 12:13 PM Re: Anyone still gigging nursing homes etc? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

You're right, Chas, times are changing. I guess I'm fortunate in that I no longer have to worry about the digital age, mainly because I'm an old codger.

Just got home from the VA Hospital this afternoon, an appointment with the neurologist. The digital age hasn't created a cure for distal neuropathy, and no treatment other than drugs and booze, the combination of which takes the edge off the horrendous pain associated with it. This disorder was the same when John Paul Jones joined the US Navy and remains the same today, wink

It ain't fun gettin' old,

Gary cool

#508350 - 05/26/23 09:25 PM Re: Anyone still gigging nursing homes etc? [Re: guitpic1]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
FWIW, guys, I need a new vehicle. CD players aren’t even in them anymore. Special order in some I am told. I own over 1000 cds, gotta have a player!

#508351 - 05/27/23 05:57 AM Re: Anyone still gigging nursing homes etc? [Re: guitpic1]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Changed Post

#508352 - 05/27/23 05:59 AM Re: Anyone still gigging nursing homes etc? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By SemiLiveMusic
FWIW, guys, I need a new vehicle. CD players aren’t even in them anymore. Special order in some I am told. I own over 1000 cds, gotta have a player!

Rip them to flac or mp3 files (flac gives you identical sound to the disc) and stick them on a USB stick, then you can plug it into modern cars, and use the cars inbuilt media system to play them. (It also means the discs don't get damaged if you leave them in the car)

If you have a smart phone and your new car has Apple car play or Android auto (Most do these days), just store the files on your phone and control the phone from the media system in the car. (It also means you can legally (At least in the UK) use your phone hands free by usually just touching the button on the steering wheel (Or yoke if get a Tesla Model S Plaid to leave every ICE car in the dust at traffic lights) ) or most likely voice control.

Bill

#508357 - 05/29/23 01:21 PM Re: Anyone still gigging nursing homes etc? [Re: guitpic1]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Forget FLAC. MP3’s got a bad rap back when they first started because people ripped CD’s at relatively low bitrates (129kbps or less) because storage was very expensive. The idea that you’d have a phone in your pocket with 256GB of storage aboard was science fiction! Now 8TB sized drives are less than what a 512MB stick used to cost!

Rip a CD at 256-320 kbps, I defy anyone over the age of forty to hear the difference. Play it in a car, even more so.

And I’m going to buy a lottery ticket today… if I can get Chas to agree with anything I say, it’s my lucky day! 😂🎹💵💵💵

(EDIT: If I win, I’ll split it with ya, Chas!!! 🎹😱🥳)

#508360 - 05/29/23 04:18 PM Re: Anyone still gigging nursing homes etc? [Re: Diki]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Diki

And I’m going to buy a lottery ticket today… if I can get Chas to agree with anything I say, it’s my lucky day!

I think you might be better off saving that $2.00.

chas

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online