SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >
Topic Options
#508015 - 03/19/23 11:12 PM Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great)
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=brKjzKSS9ck

Yamaha DGX - 670
Pros - 4 style variations/ better style programs/ reads PSR style files with 4 variations ( there are thousands if free styles)
Can write user styles/ more realistic and musical styles that can be used/ can play midi files ( Roland can not)
40 plus Super Articulation sounds ( best nylon/ acoustic guitars / saxes, etc that Roland or Casio can’t touch)
Will read midi files ( including Roland ‘s GS and Yamaha’s XG files). Remember most pro GM files are written in GS format)
Has 16 track sequencer

Cons- 47 pounds/heavy/ bulky/ GHS keys ( not as good as Roland) . Not gig worthy ( screaming “amateur keyboard)/ no vocal harmony
/ no modulation wheel/ only headphone out/ no separate LR outs

Korg XE- 20
Light weight( 25 Ibs)/ terrible key touch and response/ PA80 arranger styles/ will read SMF/ Wav/ Mp3 files but poorly designed for live playback. No joystick/ pitch bend/ mod wheel/ PA 80 arranger styles means 2 fills and jumpy fills / no style writing/ has basic sequencer

Roland FP- E50
Pros - great key feel/ individual weights ( key response not as fast as Yamaha’s GHS for fast notes runs due to escapement mechanics for certain patches but great for piano tones
- better piano tones ( than Yamaha or Casio)
- pro looking keyboard on stage ( well designed/ no speakers on top or front)
-individual LR outs
- Vocal harmony
- 37 pounds ( lightest pro feel/looking arranger with build in speakers)
- blue tooth midi and audio
- chord sequencer

Cons- Can’t read or write midi files ( only Wav files) . That means you can’t play pre sequenced general midi files with VH data)
- other sounds ( non super natural tones)are good enough but not great ( especially saxes/ guitars still has Juno Di / Ds quality) . Not super articulation quality
- arranger feature is afterthought and style are poorly written ( limitations start to appear if you are One Man Band / solo performer)
- 2 style variations means 1990 era backing with improved sounds ( you will not be able to load even BK3 styles which has 4 variations)

Overall verdict- There is no competition in the market.great if you need one keyboard that has 88 keys and pro piano sounds and other acceptable sounds with manageable weight that has pitch/ mod wheels . Looks great as well.
For OMB players;You just have to load wav files and play and sing on top while using real time harmony by pressing chords in real time

Unfortunate for Casio. Which is still not considered as “pro” looking/ considered KB on stage ( regardless how they improved with the sounds, etc, the stigma is still there). It may take a decade and multiple endorsements.“

Edited by jamman (07/14/23 12:30 AM)

#508017 - 03/20/23 08:31 AM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: jamman]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
If I didn’t have a Korg Havian , I’d probably get one! It’s a great home instrument. I love having 88 weighted keys with arranger features. The chord looper is great for practice purposes too.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#508018 - 03/20/23 08:47 AM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: jamman]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
I'm excited because it's the first new keyboard with Roland's arranger operating system since the E-A7 was released in 2015. (The E-X50 and other low-end models don't count, since they seem to borrow from Yamaha's OS and feature set.) It's evident that the FP-E50 picks up where the FP50/FP80 left off. Go Roland!!

Edited by TedS (03/20/23 09:52 AM)

#508019 - 03/21/23 11:44 AM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: jamman]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If you’re using .Wav files, why not put the backing vocals into those? Saves tying your hand up inputting a chord for the VH that probably needs to be doing something else…

And, if you are getting your .Wav backing from one of the audio backing/karaoke sites, those have proper harmonies already recorded, not just block harmonies derived from your singing. Hate to say it, but most great harmony backing vocals don’t track around like the Andrews Sisters! There’s more ‘call and response’ or contrary motion than block stuff.

#508020 - 03/21/23 01:30 PM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: jamman]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I've listened to about a dozen demos of this instrument and my wallet is literally vibrating in my pocket smile. At this price, I think it's an incredible instrument and an incredible bargin. What I want is a stage piano, but for home use (practice and pleasure). I'm not that interested in the pro's and con's of it's 'arranger' features but will use the simple rhythm (backing) tracks when practicing. The main attraction is the realism of that (sampled) acoustic grand. I hope it doesn't suck me into that 'barbie doll' thing starting with buying a pair of high quality dedicated speakers, furniture-type stand, etc. That would just defeat the whole 'bargain' thing smile. OTOH..... smile smile.

The only thing I've got that's similar is my NUMA C2X which sadly, just didn't hit the spot and will probably be my grandson's next birthday gift. It has a decent piano but the rest of board leaves me wanting something a little better. Hope I don't get disappointed again. Oh well, "nothing ventured, nothing gained". Funny thing is, I already have all the features of this board (vocoder, harmonizer, arranger, etc.); they're just in separate units. This way I can bring it up to my office (where I spend most of my day) and noodle when I get bored. Damn, I'm sorry Jamman posted this smile smile.

chas

#508022 - 03/21/23 03:56 PM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: jamman]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I have always been impressed with Mirriam Music’s reviews… he covers the gamut of everything from real pianos to every kind of stage piano and software too. And always has something relevant to say about each and demos them superbly (very pianistically).

And when he speaks highly of the action of the FP-E50 (after you’ve broken it in a bit!) that’s pretty significant at this price point if you are an actual pianist..! It’s so hard to play convincing piano on a plastic action. Most of us end up just playing it too hard, or having inconsistent dynamics.

I must confess, I've been looking for an 88 for my studio, this might fit the bill (and my bank balance!) 🎹💵😥

#508023 - 03/22/23 11:02 AM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: jamman]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Chas
Just my $.02 If your looking for a home instrument with TOTL piano and don't mind going up in price look at the Roland FP90X. YOu already have the BK7M so MIDI that up and you have a pro level setup. That's what I have and love it, but never want to move it although with the mic effects and great onboard speakers I could do a restaurant job with the keyboard alone.

BTW better check and see if that's really your wallet vibrating, maybe it's those new vitamins your taking kicking in LOL

#508024 - 03/22/23 01:00 PM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: jamman]
cgiles Offline

Too late, Bill. I already ordered it from Kraft Music. Plus, the FP90X is over twice the price and frankly, overkill for my pianistic skills. I listened to a lot of demos of the FP-E50 and I really like the sound of that sampled acoustic grand throughout it's sonic range, especially the lower end. The ZEN voices are just okay but then I won't be using them much anyway. I just wanted a standalone with a better than average piano that I could use away from my studio. At the moment, my clonewheel, BK7m, and VP770 are all grouped together in my 'rehearsal' room with two 15" EV's. In my 'studio' I have a Legend Exp midied to a Nord C1 (as a controller), a Crumar SEVEN, Korg Triton, Roland G7, Studiologic NUMA C2X, Live 'something or other' harmomizer, Computer and controller KB (for Sample play), and a ton of recording equipment. All three of my Arrangers are currently (and probably permanently) 'retired' and in storage. I will either replace the NUMA with the FP-E50 or (more likely) put the FP-E50 in my office (with a 2ch audio interface and laptop). That way (with my bad knees) I won't have to go down the dreaded stairs to my studio every time I feel the urge to 'noodle' or just learn a new song. So, as you can see, it's the all-in-one feature set, along with that nice piano, that sold me on this board (that, and the price smile ).

Long story short, the FP-90X is for a REAL pianist (which I am not). BTW, how are things down that way? I used to own a vacation property on HH until @2012. I still have some friends with vacation homes there.

chas

#508026 - 03/22/23 07:24 PM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: jamman]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Chas
Looks like you've done your homework and know what fits you best. Some collection you have so enjoy your new board and happy playing. I get the urge now and then for something new but hate to devote the time to learning it and prefer to spend the time on playing and learning new music, or sometimes on technology and just play piano. Keep us updated on your new board

#508027 - 03/22/23 08:13 PM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: jamman]
cgiles Offline

Bill, you hit the nail on the head about suffering through learning a new board. That's the appeal of THIS board; it looks like it was designed to be operated by (take your pick) a two-year-old or an idiot....well, let's just say it looks like a very simple, well-designed, easy to learn, layout. That's very good for old brains smile. It's due for delivery on Friday so I'll let you know my first impressions after the week-end. I'm real curious to see what it sounds like with the on-board speakers (I already know they're not on par, or even close, to the FP-90's but may be good enough to practice with without cringing smile ).

chas

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online