SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#507498 - 01/25/23 02:40 PM Best Possible Sound From Your Arrangers Speakers
MusicalMemories Offline

Loc: Arbroath,Angus,Scotland
Most of my time at home when playing my Arranger Keyboards is using Headphones, you spend a lot of time getting everything to sound great.

But when I go to nursing homes etc I use the Keyboards Speaker System, most of these venues are quite small, get in setup and play not alot of time for sound checks.

So how do you get the best sound from your internal speakers.

Most arrangers have some form of a Master / Global Eq system which will have some presets, but if you want to do things off your own back learning which frequencies do what and do you know when to boost or cut?

#507500 - 01/26/23 06:07 AM Re: Best Possible Sound From Your Arrangers Speakers [Re: MusicalMemories]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Not specifically for solo keyboard players, but it might help.

https://www.ipr.edu/blogs/live-sound-and...for-live-sound/

#507502 - 01/26/23 09:09 AM Re: Best Possible Sound From Your Arrangers Speakers [Re: MusicalMemories]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Keep in mind that even in very small venues, living room parties, etc..., the best sounds to boost will be the highs and lows. Only a slight boost on the mid range sounds will be needed. Also, remember that most individuals in those facilities have some sort of hearing loss, for men they tend to lose the highs and women, tend to lose the lows, hence the emphasis on those frequencies.

When I performed those very small venues, I still utilized my Bose L1 Compact, but it has no EQ system, therefore, I had to rely on the Keyboard's EQ settings to achieve the best overall sound. Additionally, because I was primarily a vocalist/entertainer, using the onboard speakers would have invited feedback, though not when I used my Crown CM-311A headset mic. It was incredible and never experienced any feedback at all, even with the onboard sound system.

Good luck,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (01/26/23 09:16 AM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#507506 - 01/26/23 12:41 PM Re: Best Possible Sound From Your Arrangers Speakers [Re: MusicalMemories]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think you need a reality check on what you are going to get from a couple of (relatively) tiny speakers compared to a pair of (decent) headphones.

In my humble opinion, you are simply not going to get anywhere close, especially without a sub.

So, how to get the ‘best’ out of them is an exercise in accepting there is no way it sounds anything like the headphone sound. After that, you are looking at trying to recognize when the onboard EQ or compression is starting to introduce distortion into the sound. Yes, you CAN boost the bass and cut mids and highs, and compress the bejeezus out of the signal, but truth is that if you get close to the headphone sound balance, it will distort at quite low volumes. Or the compressor will start to seriously squash the sound in an unnatural way.

Whether this matters is strictly your decision, if the audience is okay with the sound as is, you’re gold. There are some simple ways you can improve the sound without going to a full PA. A cheap TV sub (under $100) run from the main outs and blended in subtly can make a huge difference in fullness, help out the bass and drums. They are quite lightweight…

TBH, if seeking to get that headphone sound without breaking the bank and seriously upping how much gear you carry, a small TV sub is the way I’d go…

#507515 - 01/27/23 10:17 AM Re: Best Possible Sound From Your Arrangers Speakers [Re: MusicalMemories]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Here's an inexpensive solution to your problem. Logitech sound systems

A few years ago, there were a dozen performers on this site using Logitech Sound Systems for their small to mid size gigs. And, there was one individual, Scott Yee, who had one customized by another forum member, now deceased, and raved about the sound quality. I have also used them in the past, but eventually, switched to the high priced spread of Bose L1 systems.

Good luck,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (01/27/23 10:18 AM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#507518 - 01/28/23 01:46 AM Re: Best Possible Sound From Your Arrangers Speakers [Re: travlin'easy]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I was one that used the Logitech speakers for small gigs, and must say I was impressed, given the small size. The subwoofer really rounded out the sound with a tight bass. I still use them for my computer.

Edited by Bernie9 (01/28/23 01:47 AM)

#507528 - 01/31/23 10:38 AM Re: Best Possible Sound From Your Arrangers Speakers [Re: MusicalMemories]
Diki Offline

I would still point out that hauling the entire 2.1 system around requires a fair bit of bother and cabling, which is fine if you’re okay with that, but the OP was pretty specific about getting the most out of the built-in speakers, and had little time for setup.

In that specific scenario, I’d still recommend a very inexpensive sub and one cable to it, and still rely on the built-ins for the top end. But buying the whole 2.1 Logitech system is still affordable, and it gives you the option of adding the satellites for higher volume/more time to set up gigs.

#507530 - 01/31/23 02:15 PM Re: Best Possible Sound From Your Arrangers Speakers [Re: MusicalMemories]
Diki Offline

By the way, if you do go the route of adding just a low powered sub, I’d probably try EQ-ing some lows out of your main EQ (and lowering the low end of any multi-band master compressor) which will put less stress on your internal speakers (the low end is what chews up the power) and then just wind up the sub until it’s nice and full again. Maybe around 200-300Hz down, depending on how high up the sub’s range is…

#507532 - 02/01/23 07:06 AM Re: Best Possible Sound From Your Arrangers Speakers [Re: MusicalMemories]
zuki Offline

I use a pair of QSC K8.2 speakers. I used to put on poles, but now as wedges, a bit behind and angled slightly towards me.

These speakers have DSP and allow to set up different configurations (live, studio, no sub, etc). Running (2) in stereo is major, IMO.

I use a great pair of Senn cans in the studio. However, the best sound I get live is when I balance all through my MTM monitors. The sound seems to balance perfectly (live) from what I hear in the studio. They also transport nicely and are lightweight.

Edited by zuki (02/01/23 07:07 AM)

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#507533 - 02/01/23 08:47 AM Re: Best Possible Sound From Your Arrangers Speakers [Re: MusicalMemories]
Diki Offline

I love those K8’s! Got a small Behringer 12” sub to beef it up for outside gigs (no walls or ceilings) but inside they fill all but the largest of venues by themselves!

Great for PA, great for vocal monitors in a band, a truly great all rounder!

And yeah… a pair makes all the difference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online