SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#507471 - 01/20/23 12:10 PM Re: My latest project - non music related [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Just finished touching up the edges of the oak slab, and I will likely wait another day or two before applying the epoxy finish. It will likely take two coats, which will be applied 3 days apart, then just a bit of compound buffing and an application of clear coat and attaching the legs. Gonna make a neat end table if everything turns out right.

As soon as the oak end table is finished, I'll start on the mappa burl table, which will probably take a month or more to finish. My wife thinks I'm crazy for getting into this at my age - she's probably right. wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#507480 - 01/23/23 09:01 AM Re: My latest project - non music related [Re: travlin'easy]
zuki Offline

Congrats Gary on your enthusiasm. Can't wait to see the final results!

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#507482 - 01/23/23 09:40 AM Re: My latest project - non music related [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks Jim. Still have several days of work to do, then I have to wait for the legs to arrive that I ordered. The legs are custom made by Flowey Line Design

All the best,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (01/23/23 09:41 AM)

#507540 - 02/03/23 10:04 AM Re: My latest project - non music related [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

I finally applied the finish coat of epoxy to the oak, end table, and now it is a 2 week wait for the legs to arrive from California, which will complete the assembly. Keep in mind this is just a test piece of wood, and the next step will be to make an electric guitar body for my son, who is an avid guitar player. I will be using a piece of Matta Burl, which is what the larger slab is made of and the final project. The guitar body will be a real challenge for this crippled up old codger. But, I ain't dead yet! smile

#507541 - 02/04/23 08:00 AM Re: My latest project - non music related [Re: travlin'easy]
zuki Offline

Getting there! Looking forward to the finished product. Glad you survived the chemicals and sanding dust! Good luck on the guitar next. Admire your ambition. Jim

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#507542 - 02/04/23 09:43 AM Re: My latest project - non music related [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Jim, thanks for the encouragement. No problems with the epoxy, no fumes or chemical odor, and it is food safe. As for the sanding dust, I solved that problem my purchasing a special vacuum hose that connects to my sanders and sends the dust directly to my shop vac. I don't think my lungs could handle sanding dust.

More to come,

Gary cool

#507555 - 02/09/23 10:59 AM Re: My latest project - non music related [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Update: I finally finished the slab of oak to make an end table - however, the gel stain rejected the epoxy finish, therefore, I had to sand it all off down to bare wood and begin anew. I re-stained the slab with a water based stain, switched to a new, table top epoxy, and the results were incredible. Here's a video of the finished project, minus the legs which are due to arrive in about a week from New South Wales.

I just started the guitar project, using a small slab of mappa burl, which is an incredibly expensive wood from a poplar tree found in western Europe. I sanded it down to 5,000 grit, rounded the edges a bit, then wiped the slab with a tack cloth, which removes the tiniest particle of dust or debris. I then applied a coat of water based, black dye with a sponge brush to the top side of the guitar body, which I must allow a few hours of drying time before applying the same stain to the back of the slab. Then it's a 2 day wait until everything is completely dry before applying the epoxy finish. After the epoxy finish dries, it will be a three week wait until the neck arrives from China, at which time I will rout out the neck attachment area, then begin working on inserting the two pickups and basic electronic controls. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one. I hope to give the guitar to my son for a birthday present.

I'll update this link in the next few days, when I apply the epoxy finish. I think this will be a very unique and beautiful, electric guitar.

Gary :Cool:

#507575 - 02/11/23 04:59 PM Re: My latest project - non music related [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

I just applied the first coat of epoxy to the guitar body, and despite the fact that I cleaned it with a tack cloth, there were still some spots/dust bubbles that appeared. I'll sand it again down to 5,000 grit, clean it with alcohol and a tack cloth and apply a second coat, which should solve the tiny bubble problem.

Gary cool

#507583 - 02/12/23 08:08 PM Re: My latest project - non music related [Re: travlin'easy]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Quite a project, Gary, but not totally non music related :-) had you been my neighbor, I'd be bugging you all the time... well, now I see why you chose a house with no neighbors :-)

#507591 - 02/13/23 09:31 AM Re: My latest project - non music related [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

I have neighbors, but the nearest neighbor is more than 300 feet away. They stop by once in a while, and one of them hunts deer and wild turkey on the wooded area of my land. The projects are coming along and today, I will be working on the back side of the guitar body. The real challenge will be placement of the neck, which is a Gibson stratosphere copy that bolts in place. Keeping my fingers crossed. smile

All the best, my Russian friend,

Gary cool

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online