SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#507234 - 12/18/22 01:38 PM Roland E80 minus one function
Terrysutt Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I find a good way to learn a new song is to find the midifile for the song and play it in the E80 using the minus one function.This cuts out the melody line allowing you to play it with the instrument of your choice,with this song I chose piano.

Attachments
One moment in time.mp3 (84 downloads)

#507235 - 12/19/22 01:41 AM Re: Roland E80 minus one function [Re: Terrysutt]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
One my favorite movies and songs, well done. Thank you for sharing.

Bernie

#507238 - 12/20/22 10:07 AM Re: Roland E80 minus one function [Re: Terrysutt]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You can also use the Makeup Tools to mute as many parts as you’d like in a style or SMF, so you can practice either on piano, or leave the piano comp in and work on a solo sound like sax or guitar, whatever.

I can’t remember off the top of my head, did the E80 also have the ‘track Mute’ button that the BK series does? It allows you to define (sadly, only globally, not per UPG/Performance) which channels get muted, so if you are using professional SMF’s like Tune1000, which had well defined channel #’s for each sound (bass, piano, guitars etc), you can easily mute a particular Part each time.

BTW, you can also bring up the Makeup Tools visual mixer page, and if you tap the icon at the top of each sound, it instantly mutes the sound. Very handy!

#507279 - 12/22/22 01:35 PM Re: Roland E80 minus one function [Re: Diki]
Terrysutt Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
No Diki,the E80 has not a dedicated mute button but as you said they are in the makeup tools, both the song page (tap the icon of the instru1ment on the top row)and each section of the euqalizer page.
I`ve just been playing around with the song/style cover section with some interesting results.

#507293 - 12/24/22 08:17 AM Re: Roland E80 minus one function [Re: Terrysutt]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yep, that’s another incredibly useful function that Roland dropped. Quick, one button remapping the sounds of an entire style to a selection of sounds appropriate for different genres, acoustic, electronic, ethnic etc..

A little bit hit or miss at times (it depended on whether the original style used pretty basic normal sounds) but incredibly useful if you wanted to take the edge off a rock or electronica style to play in a quieter setting by instantly changing to brushes and upright bass, jazz guitars etc.

You CAN still do the same thing yourself one sound at a time with the normal Makeup Tools, but the instant nature of the Cover Tools encouraged trying it out. There’s a lot to be said for instant gratification!

How Roland lost so many amazing features every time they brought out a new arranger is one of the strongest pieces of evidence that their design team was entirely in the hands of people that didn’t play arrangers as their primary keyboard type… 😢🎹

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online