SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#507033 - 11/10/22 11:23 AM Re: Electro-Voice Everse 8 battery powered speakers [Re: jimlaing]
organgrinder Offline

Loc: ft. lauderdale, florida
I also have a JACKERY 500 power pack that will run my korg 1000 plus 2 bose compacts for well over 6 hours with no problem. Super unit and small.
MEL

#507035 - 11/10/22 02:25 PM Re: Electro-Voice Everse 8 battery powered speakers [Re: jimlaing]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think the power bank solution is still the sensible choice. If your arranger still needs power, a $1400 system is an expensive way to save running just two power cords! You’ll still need signal cords because Bluetooth latency is still a bit high for live monitoring.

#507038 - 11/10/22 07:44 PM Re: Electro-Voice Everse 8 battery powered speakers [Re: jimlaing]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Yes, 1400 is a lot for JUST that, but I also use speakers w/o A/C power a moderate amount (outdoors mostly). And I have used them for unusual things like making a Halloween sound-effects 'cart' that I carted around on a "ghost-walk" event in my local area ... two battery speakers plus an iPad to play sound effects, and one microphone, and I had a portable sound effects/PA cart - I have done this sort of thing for parades and events ... so I do get a good amount of use for battery-only operations. I also do own a device similar to the Jackery 500 that someone mentioned. Different brand but same idea), which I have used to power much larger PA speakers + keyboard + mixer etc. So I have various 'tools' for various situations ...

#507042 - 11/11/22 09:23 AM Re: Electro-Voice Everse 8 battery powered speakers [Re: jimlaing]
Diki Offline

I’ve got a battery power combo amp too, and have used it like you for Halloween things and other light duties. But it cost under $200. Well under.

I think that’s the appropriate amount to spend on something you actually NEED so seldom. And need high volume and great sound even less.

But the EV’s might make excellent fill in speakers at a huge venue where good sound and the Bluetooth connectivity and no cables are a strong positive, and where your main speakers don’t project well

The thing I think makes the decision is, just how often will these be the ONLY solution that works for you? I might actually REALLY need these once every couple of years.

#507044 - 11/11/22 09:53 AM Re: Electro-Voice Everse 8 battery powered speakers [Re: jimlaing]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
All you really need is an inverter, which can be had for a couple hundred bucks, which will run all your gear from a simple car battery or even a small, garden tractor battery. I had one on my boat and it ran everything, including the AC unit, microwave, lights, radar, GPS Plotter, AIS system, etc...

https://www.renogy.com/700w-12v-pure-sin...HwaAqs6EALw_wcB

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#507045 - 11/11/22 11:06 AM Re: Electro-Voice Everse 8 battery powered speakers [Re: jimlaing]
Diki Offline

Not that keen on lugging a lead acid battery around, Gary! But there’s some affordable lithium ion alternatives that won’t bust your back!

I think power banks offer better over-voltage and under-voltage protection than the average inverter, and a lot of our gear tends to be pretty sensitive to under-voltage. No point frying anything if you can help it!

#507046 - 11/11/22 11:10 AM Re: Electro-Voice Everse 8 battery powered speakers [Re: jimlaing]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi - I got ~$600 for the pair of EV ZX1As which will almost half pay for a pair of the new ones. I will use whatever speakers often (like once a week), but the times I *need* battery-only operation is probably more like 10x per year, roughly. I have a feeling I'll find other uses once I have them, as well.

The idea of Bluetooth won't apply in my case, as I'm always doing live music, and the Bluetooth delay (latency) doesn't work with live music. But I can see using the BT option now and then, for break music, or for when I do events other than my live-playing type events . . .

Thanks for the various ideas/comments/topics ... interesting discussion! -Jim

#507055 - 11/12/22 06:26 PM Re: Electro-Voice Everse 8 battery powered speakers [Re: jimlaing]
travlin'easy Offline

Diki, I have been using inverters for more than 20 years - never had a problem with anything frying or under-powered. Most have built in voltage regulators to prevent such problems.

As for lugging around a lead/acid battery, my garden tractor battery weighs less than 10 pounds and has no spill caps. When I had to use an inverter for an outdoor job, such as a remote mountain campground where there was no electricity available, I just plugged it into my cigarette lighter connection in my van, then ran an extension cord from the van to my keyboard setup - nothing could be easier and safer.

Good luck, on whatever you decide upon,

Gary cool

#507063 - 11/13/22 01:54 PM Re: Electro-Voice Everse 8 battery powered speakers [Re: jimlaing]
Diki Offline

Already sorted, Gary, thanks.

If the music has no power, neither does the catering, the bar, the lighting etc..

Can’t honestly say I’ve ever been asked to do a gig with zero power!

#507066 - 11/13/22 03:56 PM Re: Electro-Voice Everse 8 battery powered speakers [Re: jimlaing]
travlin'easy Offline

Diki, all you need for a bar at an outdoor, powerless event, is a couple cooler chests filled with ice cubes and someone to serve the beverages, which are usually plentiful. As for lighting, bon fires usually supply all the light needed for nighttime events, such as those held at campgrounds. I did an indoor, powerless job at a hunting camp in the Pennsylvania mountains, where the lighting was supplied by kerosene lanterns. The lodge was huge, probably about 10,000 square feet, massive fireplace for heat and a wood stove for cooking. As for catering, I guess you have never been to a tailgate party. The hosts usually tow a big BBQ smoker behind their cars or trucks, and the food is fantastic to say the very least. No electrical power at any of these locations, but they sure have lots of parties, music and fun.

Good luck,

Gary cool

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online