SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#506724 - 10/06/22 08:01 AM Genos or CVP 809 ?
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
Hi

This question is directed to the lucky Users who have both the Genos and the CVP 809..

Yamaha has said that the Genos is in the CVP 809. If I purchase the 809, will I get the full functionality of a Genos ( Style editing, Pads, importing Styles , etc...) but with the added advantage of a 88 weighted keys.

That is, everything that you can do on a Genos, you can do on the 809.

Thanks in advance

Ron

Edited by rphillipchuk (10/06/22 08:37 AM)

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#506725 - 10/06/22 11:06 AM Re: Genos or CVP 809 ? [Re: rphillipchuk]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
I don’t think I can recall any member who has both…

I’m curious though. Why not add an inexpensive 88 either controller keyboard or stage piano to the Genos, and have weighted wood for what it’s best at, and the Genos’s plastic 76 for what that is best at?

Trust me, playing organ on weighted wood HURTS! Can’t tell you how many times I’ve tore my knuckles up doing smears and glisses on someone else’s 88 when sitting in (Kurzweil and Korg).

An 88 controller/piano also gives you portability. You sure as hell don’t want to move that CVP very much! 180lbs… ouch! 😱

Tough decision. A $13k CVP or a $5k Genos and a sub-$1k 88. 💵💵💵

#506747 - 10/07/22 04:16 PM Re: Genos or CVP 809 ? [Re: rphillipchuk]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Ron ,
you might be better off asking at psr tutorial.
Actually trying to make a similar decision myself.
I have a pretty good set up with Kawai portable digital piano ( on a stand with pedals, looks great on its own) but I now have psr sx 900 above and recently bought a monitor ( thanks to Diki) so that I can read my sheet music.
Setup works really well in my spare room , but would look unsightly in the main living room.
Been trying to talk hubby into moving to a retirement village , he’s considering it, but we’re waiting tilll after I have an operation on my neck in the next few weeks, just have to make sure I get thru that ok first ,before we make any decisions on either moving or buying any new keyboards.Downsizing a Clavinova would suit me better.

You might want to read up on the Clavinova, I don’t think it has all the functions a Genos does. For starters , not sure it even has the Pads . I think I would miss those.

I’m actually deciding between the Korg PA5x and Clavinova CVP. Korg expands my setup, the Clavinova will reduce it down. Difference between chalk and cheese , I know, but,worry about that after my surgery.

I don’t think a cvp805 is a Genos with 88 keys, there might be a few compromises.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online