SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#506438 - 09/09/22 07:34 AM Going for an arranger again - CT-X5000 or PSR-E473
Yul Offline

Hi!

I realized I need a basic arranger in my life for a scratchpad. I create my own styles (simple backings), loops and basic sequencing. Everything else is on the computer but need to get away from it sometimes.

Over the years I have purchased the E443, CT-X5000 and finally the PSR-SX900. All have been sold since.

The 443 was really good but lacking features I should have gone for the 453.
I then went to the CT-X5000. It was really great but felt the overall sounds were lacking low end compared to Yamaha.
Then the PSR-SX900 was one great kit but at that price it was too expensive compared to what I could do with my PC so I sold it.

I need to go either towards most recent E473 (has USB audio) or going back to the CT-X5000 (has WAV recording).

Unless I was doing something wrong, the CT-X still is a bit behind on Yamaha's E473 overall sounds (low end, clarity).

I like Casio as a brand but Yamaha's sounds are a bit better. Yamaha otoh are really messing with my mind with the features it's driving me nuts.

So....should I be content with the CT-X's slighly inferior sounds or move on to the E473. Decisions..decisions..

Edited by Yul (09/09/22 07:46 AM)

#506439 - 09/09/22 08:36 AM Re: Going for an arranger again - CT-X5000 or PSR-E473 [Re: Yul]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I think it depends on your playing level. The higher your playing level the more you should lean towards the 'superior sounds' as great playing will always outweigh great features as far as the end performance is concerned. 'Features' are only operational conveniences and at best will only improve your performance marginally (a crappy sounding violin reached quickly by virtue of a 'great feature' is still going to sound like a crappy violin). A great sounding violin played by a good player is only going to enhance your performance.

Great features (in my opinion) are more important to the less proficient player in that they can spend more time developing their playing skills rather than having to learn archaic keyboard navigation skills. A Steinway D has very few 'features' other than a great keyboard feel and excellent tone qualities. It does, however, demand much of the player.

To me, the choice is easy. If you feel confident about your playing, by all means go for the better quality sounds. For me (and this is personal), I'm ALWAYS going to go for the better sounds regardless of what I think of my playing level. It's one of the reasons I love my Crumar SEVEN so much smile. JMO though.

chas

#506441 - 09/09/22 11:21 AM Re: Going for an arranger again - CT-X5000 or PSR-E473 [Re: Yul]
Yul Offline

Thanks for your response!

Most of my playing is ambient synth electro so this doesn't require excessive sound quality especially as a scratchpad.

As much as I want to go again with Casio ( great features) I can't shake the missing low end in my mix since some parts hopefully would end up in final stages.

Yamahe e473 might be the one even though I really wanted to give Casio the chance.

Edited by Yul (09/09/22 12:08 PM)

#506443 - 09/09/22 01:09 PM Re: Going for an arranger again - CT-X5000 or PSR-E473 [Re: Yul]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
The Yamaha PSR-E473 doesn't recognize "slash" chords. So I would "slash" that one off your list, and go for the CT-X5000. My $.02.

#506446 - 09/09/22 01:40 PM Re: Going for an arranger again - CT-X5000 or PSR-E473 [Re: Yul]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If you intend the arranger as merely a “scratchpad“ for working on the songs, and you intend to finish them in the computer later, to be honest the overall sound quality of the arranger doesn’t matter all that much. In all probability you will be replacing out the arranger’s sounds with better computer-based sounds like drum kits, percussion, piano, strings etc. using the arrangers midi output.

So all in all, what it ‘sounds’ like isn’t that big a priority. However, the ease of either creating your own styles, or the availability of a huge selection of already created styles may very well be a high priority. In this area, Yamaha have a huge advantage over Casio.

Just something to consider…

#506449 - 09/09/22 08:53 PM Re: Going for an arranger again - CT-X5000 or PSR-E473 [Re: Yul]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
The E473 is a starter model with (i think) only two variations per style. So it cannot take advantage of the huge style library available for Yamaha's TOTL and MOTL arrangers. Meanwhile the Casio does have 4 variations per style and most of the same stype control parameters as Yamaha. I think there might be 3rd party software to convert Yamaha styles for use in the CT-X5000. So unless you can afford to step up to the PSR-sx600, you'll get more bang for your buck with a Casio in the low end of the market. My $.02.

Edited by TedS (09/12/22 03:44 PM)

#506456 - 09/10/22 09:48 AM Re: Going for an arranger again - CT-X5000 or PSR-E473 [Re: Yul]
Diki Offline

Mind you, not a lot of ambient synth electro styles in anyone’s factory styles..!

I’m a bit confused though… if ambient synth is the goal, why not an affordable base model workstation, with proper arpeggiators and synth engines? Seems to me that an arranger isn’t really the right tool for that genre.

#506473 - 09/11/22 07:19 PM Re: Going for an arranger again - CT-X5000 or PSR-E473 [Re: Yul]
Yul Offline

Thanks for your responses. Great insights.

My DAW can really do everything except being a good tool for spontaneous composition. The arranger really does this well for me. Just select create a simple drum backing and off I go for some riff creation.

Workstations I have looked and they are more expensive with less sequencing/arranging. They are also lacking .wav recording or usb audio unless going to MOTL ot TOTL. My DAW can really outshine it at this point.

I am looking at a CT-X5000 second hand hopefully I will be able to grab it.

Edited by Yul (09/11/22 07:21 PM)

#506491 - 09/13/22 02:51 PM Re: Going for an arranger again - CT-X5000 or PSR-E473 [Re: Yul]
Diki Offline

Best of luck. Post back with some modern music made on it, I for one would LOVE to hear something fresh and modern created on an arranger! ♥️

#506494 - 09/13/22 03:10 PM Re: Going for an arranger again - CT-X5000 or PSR-E473 [Re: Yul]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi ,
have you considered a software arranger like One Man Band, or you want to get away from the computer all together
https://www.1manband.nl/

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online