Loc: United Kingdom
Seems to have gone a little bit sleepy,perhaps a good time
to have a dream.

Attachments
Dream a little dream.mp3 (94 downloads)

#506338 - 08/14/22 01:31 PM Re: Perchance to dream [Re: Terrysutt]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Terry, a few observations hopefully accepted as constructive. I'll preface it by saying that the ORGAN is a very 'dominant' instrument and it's easy for it to overwhelm an accompaniment if it's use and volume is not carefully controlled. To that end I would suggest the following:

1. Lower the volume (organ)
2. Vary the voicing where appropriate in different parts of the song.
3. Try a 'comping' technique instead of just holding the basic chords throughout.
4. Try some alternate chord voicings and use transitions to move from one part of the song to another. Playing 'basic' chords is a dead giveaway to your playing level. Hint: listen to a professional recording of the song and listen to what THEY are playing.
5. Your timing has improved a lot but there is still a tendency to rush the beat in certain spots.
6. Optional - no need to keep varying the 'melody' instrument. Pick one that you think you can simulate well and concentrate on trying to make THAT one sound authentic.
7. Ditch (scratch, dump, can, eliminate) the canned ending (intro as well, but not as important). It doesn't fit the song.

WHAT'S IMPORTANT: That you keep submitting performances. I think you've made great progress. Use the critiques that you think have value and ignore the rest. Just keep playing. Although we'd all like to get better, just the feeling of joy we get from practicing our wonderful art makes it all worthwhile.

chas

#506339 - 08/15/22 12:20 PM Re: Perchance to dream [Re: cgiles]
Terrysutt Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Thank you Chas for your observations,always ready to listen to sound advice.I will post again and some songs will include vocals.This is not to highlight my singing but to add lyrics to a song that might sound
too repetitive without them.

#506342 - 08/16/22 12:41 AM Re: Perchance to dream [Re: Terrysutt]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Chas
Your thoughtful comments help many of us, including me in the recent past.

Bernie

#506343 - 08/16/22 05:52 AM Re: Perchance to dream [Re: Terrysutt]
cgiles Offline

Thanks Bernie, but they're only opinions, not gospel. I just wish more people would submit performances. One can like or dislike a particular song and still find things about a performance that they like or dislike; the important thing is that we can usually learn something that we might have otherwise missed just by discussing or critiquing it in a friendly forum environment. You and Terry are great examples of accepting observations, comments, and critiques in the spirit in which they were intended....and NOT just a forum 'bashing'.

It was nice to see Deanne performing at the senior center. He makes it seem a lot easier than it really is. Seemed like everything, including his 'gig rig', was super refined and efficient. Clearly his audience was enjoying themselves. BTW, is Diki ok, haven't heard from him in awhile.

chas

#506344 - 08/16/22 08:08 AM Re: Perchance to dream [Re: cgiles]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Deane is a good man, as well as musician. We correspond on a regular basis and has been a great help to me. He even sent me his core registrations when I bought my Ketron SD40. This gave me a huge boost. He posted something a while ago with him singing. He has a nice voice, but I am sure he has his reasons for not singing.

As far has posting songs here, I am now back to good health and working on some numbers, Maybe Diki is just waiting for some controversial topic, at least I hope so.

#506345 - 08/16/22 12:20 PM Re: Perchance to dream [Re: Bernie9]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
Maybe Diki is just waiting for some controversial topic

smile smile smile smile

chas

#506360 - 08/21/22 10:46 AM Re: Perchance to dream [Re: Terrysutt]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
As I’ve said so many times, playing with your lead sounds that loud against the backing tends to swamp out the drums to the point of it being extremely hard to play in rhythm. If you can’t hear the drums, you can’t play in time, simple as that…

As always, my advice is to do a short recording first (one verse and chorus usually is fine), listen to the mix, adjust your lead sounds down, try one more short test run, see if you got it right, then go for the full take only when you are sure you aren’t putting a lot of effort into something that is going to have a fatal flaw no matter how well you play!

And, because turning down your leads and comps in effect brings up the drums, you will find yourself playing WITH, not on top of, your backing, and the temptation to rush is a lot easier to resist..!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online