SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#506284 - 08/01/22 12:39 PM Singing the Blues
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
What's your favorite blues song(s)? The older I get the more bluesy my voice gets. Right now I'm stuck on only "Kansas City"

Glenn

#506306 - 08/05/22 12:26 PM Re: Singing the Blues [Re: GlennT]
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Nobody here singing the blues?

#506308 - 08/06/22 09:12 AM Re: Singing the Blues [Re: GlennT]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hi Glen, I'm not much of a blues singer (or singer at all really) but when I have to sing a blues on solo gigs my go to is also Kansas City. I do it in Bb. I also sing Route 66 in F. I do a few old time rock n' roll and country songs that follows the basic 12 bar blues progression too, stuff like Jonny B Good, and Blue Suede shoes. I love to sing Folsom Prison Blues to. I haven't played at the senior homes for since COVID so I'm a little rusty on that material. These days I'm doing all Latin at bars, restaurants and parties.

Anyways, I do study on more jazz blues. Stuff like Bags Goove, Billies Bounce, Blues for Alice, Equinox, Sandu, Tenor Madness, West Coast Blues....

These are the types of tunes jazzers like to play on jam session, that most non musician don't know, but I am enjoying playing and studying this material for my own personal growth, if you dig.

I'd also like to get deeper into some early Chicago blues, Boogie Woogie.

I think all the great rock, country, funk, R&B, gospel, Latin , reggae, and of course jazz musicians, all have a very good foundation in the blues. It's our common language.

Edited by montunoman (08/06/22 09:15 AM)

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#506310 - 08/06/22 01:46 PM Re: Singing the Blues [Re: GlennT]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Paul, on a sidenote, I always thought 'Alice' (Blues for Alice) was Alice (McLeod) Coltrane. Reading your post made me do a little digging to see if I was right; apparently not. Alice was just 13 years old when the song was produced and although she was a jazz prodigy, it's unlikely she would have been traveling in those circles (Bird, Ray Brown, Kenny Clarke, etc.). BTW, I think forums that are primarily oriented towards music should occasionally include some historical references, so thanks for that. For the record, our own Capt Russ is a fountain of information on music (especially jazz) of that period, having been involved in it and having met a lot of these legends personally.

chas

Edited by cgiles (08/06/22 01:52 PM)

#506311 - 08/06/22 03:33 PM Re: Singing the Blues [Re: GlennT]
montunoman Offline

Chas, you made me more aware that my knowledge of jazz history has some serious holes! I was aware of Alice Coltrane but didn't didn't know much about her, and I believe I had her name confused with one of John Coltrane's off spring. Anyways, I did a bit of research too, and I still don't know who "Alice" is referring to in "Blues for Alice", but now thanks to you I know a little bit more about Alice Coltrane.

Sorry Gleen, we're getting side tracked! I do love blues vocals, hopefully some members will chime in, post some Youtube videos of their favorite blues tunes and singers. This defiantly an area of interest for me.

#506312 - 08/06/22 03:49 PM Re: Singing the Blues [Re: GlennT]
montunoman Offline

I happen to live in the same neighborhood were blues great Stevie Ray Vaughan grew up - Oak Cliff, a section of Dallas, Texas. In fact the performing arts theater, where my daughter went to middle school is named in his honor. My nephew can play several Stevie Ray Vaughan solos note for note by studying his playing on videos like this.

#506313 - 08/06/22 03:56 PM Re: Singing the Blues [Re: GlennT]
montunoman Offline

Christone "Kingfish" is a young man who is "carrying the torch"
He is from Mississippi, his back story alone earns him the right to be a blues musician. He is receiving lots recognition in the music industry now and I wish him continued success!

Here he is at a festival here in Dallas, Texas.

#506314 - 08/06/22 05:40 PM Re: Singing the Blues [Re: GlennT]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Glenn, if you're looking for material to perform, you have to give us more clues. There are so many sub-genres of 'blues' that it's hard to know what you might consider suitable material for you to perform. For instance, I never really considered 'Kansas City' a blues (in the traditional sense) but what might be considered 'blues' by some might be considered 'R&B by others, 'Rock&Roll' by others, and 'Pop" by others. If one were listing favorite blues singers, Joe Cocker's name probably wouldn't come up YET, he's definitely one of MY favorites, along with Janis Joplin, both of whom most people would consider 'Rockers'. See, that's the name of the game in music, SUBJECTIVITY, SUBJECTIVITY, SUBJECTIVITY. What makes it great (and loads of fun) is that NOBODY'S WRONG smile.

chas

#506315 - 08/07/22 04:50 AM Re: Singing the Blues [Re: GlennT]
organgrinder Offline

Loc: ft. lauderdale, florida
How about Sweet Home Chicago or the thrill is gone by BB KING. That's my favorite kind of blues.
MEL

#506321 - 08/08/22 08:05 AM Re: Singing the Blues [Re: organgrinder]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
God Bless the Child".

R.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online