SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#506267 - 07/24/22 04:55 PM identify a midi file
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
Is there a program that can identify a midi file ? Only interested in the name and if possible the artist.

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#506268 - 07/25/22 02:11 AM Re: identify a midi file [Re: rphillipchuk]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Hi Ron.

I got a little curious about the subject when I read your post.
If there is no information in the file in the form of tags or text that can be seen by Cakewalk or other programs such as GN-Midi, MidiPlayer 6 etc., it seems there are a number of apps that can recognize melodies.
Did a Google search, there even came up an app that can recognize songs by singing, whistling or using 'humming'. surprised

Never tried any such apps myself, but used this search string at Google just to see what came up:
"how to recognize song titles and artists by playing a melody"
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#506269 - 07/25/22 06:44 AM Re: identify a midi file [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Post the song, and allow us to give out opininos.
John C.

#506274 - 07/25/22 02:57 PM Re: identify a midi file [Re: rphillipchuk]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
If there is some form of identifying the midi file, you can often see it using Van Basco's Midi/karaoke Player. Give it a try - might solve your problem.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#506275 - 07/26/22 10:50 AM Re: identify a midi file [Re: travlin'easy]
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
around 2009 I was in Texas attending an Accordion convention .
there was a man who gave a workshop on technology he had on his mobile phone an App called Shazam (i had never heard of this before )but the demo was very interesting . He pointed his mobile phone at one of the background music speakers which were part of the conference centre,
The app identified and named the tune , and many other tunes , a the complete history of tune and many other facts including key and sheet music .

I had forgotten all about this until the question was raised on the forum .................I'm not a high techie person so no good asking any techie questions ,its just that i was really impressed at what the app could do . At that time i only had a very basic mobile phone just for calls !!!
I do remember the man's name John Martin he worked at one of the texas colleges or universities ......I do know that very sadly John died last year ..he was a fine Accordionist and loved technology.

#506276 - 07/27/22 12:44 AM Re: identify a midi file [Re: Giovanni]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA

#506277 - 07/27/22 04:59 AM Re: identify a midi file [Re: Bernie9]
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Well Done Bernie ....thank you

#506278 - 07/27/22 11:51 AM Re: identify a midi file [Re: Giovanni]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
You bet

#506302 - 08/05/22 10:54 AM Re: identify a midi file [Re: rphillipchuk]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Are you trying to identify one particular tune, or are you trying to get a big collection of merely numbered files to give up their names?

The answer will depend on whether the file was named using the original creation software or not. If it was, if you open the file using a raw data inspection tool (that will depend on platform) you may find the text string somewhere in the data.

Alternatively, you can open the SMF in a DAW and usually, if the song was titled, that may appear (or it might not, once again, it depends on the file and the DAW/sequencer).

As to a batch inspector (let’s assume that you have a folder with dozens of unnamed files), that I don’t think I have come across this. If it’s just a few files, no problem - you can hand open them one by one and either identify by ear or use the above to try and read any embedded data. Hundreds of unknown files on the other hand might not be so easy!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online