SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#505942 - 06/15/22 08:22 AM Pianist styles for Roland arrangers?
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Roland's new E-X50 and E-X30 introductory keyboards have about twenty styles in a category called "pianist."
My research shows that some older Roland intelligent pianos such as the KR-375 also had "pianist" styles. However, it seems that none of the newer MOTL and TOTL arrangers have them. At least not in a category as such.

I'm curious about these styles, the instrumentation and how they respond to chord changes.
Can anyone point me to a link where I can download them, or send them to me via email? I would even be willing to share my mailing address and pay a modest sum for a 3 1/2" diskette if you have one. Thanks!

#506398 - 09/02/22 10:10 AM Re: Pianist styles for Roland arrangers? [Re: TedS]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I wonder if these are anything like the Yamaha DGX670 ‘pianist’ styles? Those are styles that change Variations depending on how hard or busy you play with no button pressing.

If so, they wouldn’t work the same way in a normal arranger without the software to analyze your dynamics.

And, who has a 3 1/2 diskette drive anymore?!! Most computers don’t even have CD/DVD drives any longer!

#506400 - 09/02/22 10:41 PM Re: Pianist styles for Roland arrangers? [Re: TedS]
TedS Offline

Haha I have a 3 1/2" diskette drive! In my E-50!!

#506405 - 09/04/22 11:11 AM Re: Pianist styles for Roland arrangers? [Re: TedS]
Diki Offline

Got one in my G70… haven’t had one in a computer for nearly 15 years!

If I remember rightly, Roland used to call styles that were primarily just piano, either solo or with a bass and drums ‘Pianist’ styles. But there was nothing out of the ordinary about them triggering wise. They tended to be sort of stride piano type things if I recall.

Take a search through your old Roland style collections for the keyword ‘Pianist’. You might have a few…

#506406 - 09/04/22 11:36 AM Re: Pianist styles for Roland arrangers? [Re: TedS]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Hi.
For what it's worth....
Here's the 'Pianist styles' that is on G-70.
Two folders, one 'first edition' and the other form the v3 edition.
As I remember it, they tuned the styleset to OS v3 update.
Also added the few ones fron BK-9.
If I find any more, I'll add later.
Hope it's for any help, if not, Diki can delete my post.

Btw,
if it's any interest, I can convert the 36 Yamaha pianist styles from PSR9KPro.
I think that's the files who will give best result if convert to Roland, also best as starter to edit and tweak.

Attachments
Roland Pianostyles.zip (41 downloads)
Piano BK-9.zip (36 downloads)

Edited by Gunnar Jonny (09/04/22 11:52 AM)
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#506411 - 09/05/22 09:41 PM Re: Pianist styles for Roland arrangers? [Re: TedS]
TedS Offline

Thank you so much Jonny, I'll give these a try!

As an aside- I have the full, latest version of StyleWorks XT. My experience has been that Yamaha styles don't convert well to Roland format. Frankly I'm not surprised. Yamaha has many, many more customizable parameters that determine how a recorded style track (i.e., the source pattern) will react to the recognized chord. Korg, Ketron, and even Casio have enough parameters to produce a good approximation. But I've never had much luck using StyleWorks to make styles from my Tyros react correctly on my Roland.

I love playing the Roland. But if I really need a Yamaha style, I'll trigger the chords FROM my Roland, with my preferred Roland fingering, by sending MIDI to the Yamaha's NTA channel. It's not as complicated as it sounds, and there are things you can do with two arrangers MIDI'd together, that you can't do with either one alone!

Edited by TedS (09/05/22 09:44 PM)
Edit Reason: clarity

#506415 - 09/06/22 01:54 PM Re: Pianist styles for Roland arrangers? [Re: TedS]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
My plesure Sir. smile

If you don't have the Yam 9k Pianist styles already and want to give them a shot, I can upload so you can run through EMC.
There is similiar pianiststyles for later models as well, but for some reasson or another I think maybe this ones will convert better.....🤔
And, they have no other accomp-sounds than piano.

Btw,
I use EMC Universal XT 4.99 as well, but must admit I've not converted any of those yet, because I can play them at Genos.
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#506430 - 09/08/22 09:43 AM Re: Pianist styles for Roland arrangers? [Re: TedS]
Diki Offline

Just as an aside, although currently it seems a little buggy, Korg’s new ‘two styles at the same time’ feature on the PA5X seems to be a good way to get the same thing as hooking up two arrangers together…

Let’s hope they sort it out and then other manufacturers copy the idea. Potentially, it’s the biggest change to the overall style engine in decades.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online