SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#505796 - 06/03/22 12:37 PM Time to learn something past the 30's
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Sorry, I just love these old tunes; besides, they're easy to play smile. Anyhow, one thing you can count on with my (posted) tunes; they always need mixing and editing. Unless you're an ol' fart like me, you probably don't know this tune (or it could be just because of the way I play it smile ), but it's called 'How long has this been going on".

https://app.box.com/s/yrw0ee6n713nk2qyn4beg5f3usj7kn0m

chas

#505829 - 06/06/22 09:17 AM Re: Time to learn something past the 30's [Re: cgiles]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
No need to apologize, great music is great music, doesn’t matter what time period!
Young musicians are still studying the Great American Song Book, and even major contemporary super stars are still recording and performing these timeless classics.

Anyways, loved the organ/ vibe work. I’m curious if any of the major jazz organist and vibraphonist ever did any collaborations? I can’t really think of any but it sure is a nice sound!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#505830 - 06/06/22 09:48 AM Re: Time to learn something past the 30's [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Thanks Paul, the 'vibe' is the vibe factory preset on my Crumar SEVEN. I think it's very authentic, I just need to learn to play more like a real vibes player. And yeah, I can't think of any vibes/organ collabs either, and I'm a child of the 60's/70's (musically smile ).

chas

#505832 - 06/06/22 10:33 AM Re: Time to learn something past the 30's [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I last played that tune with Ike Cole, Nat's brother at the La Flame club in Lexington in 1973.

Ya gotta love a left hand that moves like that.

R.

#505833 - 06/06/22 01:54 PM Re: Time to learn something past the 30's [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

The problem is, Russ (as you probably know), is that to get that bass sound you HAVE to tap that bass pedal to get that percussive effect and once you get old you can't play really uptempo tunes anymore. That's why I only play medium tempo (@130 bpm) tunes and/or ballads and blues.

BTW, probably my favorite LH Bass player (B3) would be the late, great 'Brother' Jack McDuff. I knew Jack from my Atlantic City days and could tell you some funny stories about Jack, especially his encounters with the cops. Little did I know at the time that some of these guys would go on to become jazz legends (Jack, Johnny 'Hammond' Smith, Don Patterson, Jimmy McGriff, and the list goes on). They all played the same dives we played except that they played on the (lucrative) week-ends and we played during the (throw-away) week days. Jimmy Smith only came through once during the summer and was considered a GOD by the local B3 players.

Russ, this clip is mainly for you since you're a left-hand aficionado. These guys were REAL Pro's. Don't think so? Try playing with them. I must tell you though, Jack had two things going for him; he was left-handed and he was a former bass player. Of course that doesn't account for his enormous talent (or the talent of those playing with him). Make sure you watch the whole tune to catch his best bass licks and his weird straight-fingered bass-playing technique.

Obviously these guys are not about keeping the dancefloor full or keeping 'the ladies' happy; they're about making ART in the form of good music; after all they ARE musicians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIsh1avYn-0&ab_channel=Jazz%C2%B3%2B

chas

#505838 - 06/07/22 12:25 AM Re: Time to learn something past the 30's [Re: cgiles]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Thank you Chas, I wish I could hear more of your music. I too am enamored by that delicious left hand work.

#505839 - 06/07/22 03:17 AM Re: Time to learn something past the 30's [Re: cgiles]
Bernie9 Offline

Because of this thread I got to thinking of entertainers I knew years ago. Rudy Rosa played about twenty miles up the road from me North of Sarasota. He was a very nice man and died before his time.

One of many selections:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq9RaSzHYi8

#505842 - 06/07/22 05:54 AM Re: Time to learn something past the 30's [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Bernie, the thing about guys like Rudy Rosa, regardless of whether you liked their type of music, is that 1. they knew their instrument, 2. they had a superb sense of rhythm, 3. they were masters in their style, and 4. they had excellent taste and musicianship. I always enjoy watching great musicians, regardless of instrument or musical genre'. For one thing, you know they've put in the work.

BTW, your videos are getting better and better. keep digging into that video editor (it becomes a lot of fun in itself and gives you another creative outlet). Being the 'gear hog' that we know you are smile , you probably have another video camera laying around. Try (when you're comfortable) a two camera (more, if you got 'em) shoot and then piece them together. This is where your video editor really shines. Don't worry if your videocams have different file formats; the editor will resolve that for you. Remember, it's more important than ever now to keep our brains active. Keep those vids coming.

chas

#505852 - 06/07/22 09:53 AM Re: Time to learn something past the 30's [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sounds great to me, Chas - no need for any apologies - when you've got it, you've got it!

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#505856 - 06/07/22 12:40 PM Re: Time to learn something past the 30's [Re: cgiles]
Bernie9 Offline

" Being the 'gear hog' that we know you are " QUOTE FROM CHAS

Ouch, that hurts , Chas. It cuts me to the quick. lol
As a matter of fact, down in the murky depths of my toy box, I seem to recall seeing my Zoom Q3-yes, there it is,

Many thanks for your unwavering support, deserved or not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online