Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#505673 - 05/22/22 01:33 PM A Classic Old Tune
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA

#505692 - 05/24/22 01:59 PM Re: A Classic Old Tune [Re: Bernie9]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Bernie, in watching your playing, I've noticed something that you do that I wish more 'arranger players' would do; that is, in addition to just playing the chords with your left hand, you also simultaneously play what I'll call 'little mini comps'. I'm sure this little added embellishment comes from years of playing organ, an advantage most arranger players don't necessarily have. It is so refreshing to see an arranger player do something with his/her left hand other than just blandly "play and hold" the basic chords. It adds just a little touch of variation and helps accent the rhythm. Now go crack that video editor user manual smile.

chas

#505698 - 05/25/22 01:18 AM Re: A Classic Old Tune [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Ha ha, Chas, you got it. Thanks

#505702 - 05/26/22 11:50 PM Re: A Classic Old Tune [Re: Bernie9]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The Pianist chord recognition system in most arrangers is pretty useful if you want to do some cool stuff with your LH while it lays down the chords…

Typically you need three or more played notes before a new chord is triggered. So you can do things like play a basic triad to get the style going, but then play single note counter-lines, or two note chord extensions without it freaking out the backing.

A couple of ideas might be to play an open fifth chord, no third. Now, with just two notes (or one) you can play thirds, or sevenths or 6/9’s and the backing will just hold that open fifth. It’s especially effective on rock tunes.

Or, play a major triad, then with two notes, play those 6/9’s, or 9/#11’s or just go atonal nuts and the backing will serenely stay simple!

If you are one of the lucky ones (can’t do this on most Roland’s!) you can use a footswitch to hold the chord (so it won’t recognize anything until lifted on the pedal) and now sky’s the limit… comping patterns, totally outside chord voicings, rhythmic opposition to the groove, threes against twos, you name it!

It seems a shame for those who learned piano or organ or any two handed keyboard to tie up half your hands inputting rote chords and nothing else! Try using your Pianist chord recognition, and enjoy a bit more freedom without freaking out the chords!

#505712 - 05/27/22 01:42 PM Re: A Classic Old Tune [Re: Bernie9]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Hi Bernie, I too like your added touch of the left hand. It gives it that extra that makes a song just better. Curious as to your fingering type setup, that allows for a left hand piano sound and chord changes. I've tried different setups with mixed results.

I had an older keyboard that had "chord hold" (not left hand hold) that could be triggered by a press of a button, or a footswitch. It may have been a Technics Arranger. It was nice to have that extra left hand helper. smile

Thanks for sharing your recoding, good job, enjoyed it.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online