Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#50520 - 06/23/07 09:18 AM Re: Audience Favourites
The Leans Offline

Loc: Birmingham, England
Hi Audrey,

Ah, memories. !!!
One or two people have mentioned 'Lady in Red'. - When I fisrt started to gig, I would regularly be requested to play the 'original' Lady in Red. ! Does anybody remember it. ? Came out in the 30's I believe, T'was a rhumba.

Although I no longer gig, when I did, some of the most popular requests would for the likes of:-

Too Young
That Certain Smile
This Is All I Ask
One Morning in May
Only Fools
Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered
The Street Where you Live
Moonglow
Stardust (Gordon Jenkins/Nat King Cole)

And in fact, hundreds more. The list is endless. - What price the golden oldies. ?
Cheers,

Colin.

#50521 - 06/23/07 11:14 AM Re: Audience Favourites
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Hi there - I have never gigged - Yet!!! BUT Colin if my audience had my taste I would play all the songs you mentioned plus,

Nightingale sang in Berkely Sq
Young and Foolish
When I fall in love
Nearness of You etc. etc.,
My Funny Valentine
Embraceable You
We'll gather lilacs

I would also throw in some rousing Marches to get the feet tapping. - nobody sleeps when you play a March!!! Joan

#50522 - 06/23/07 12:02 PM Re: Audience Favourites
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
It is interesting to see the differences from across the pond on this subject. The song Lady in Red has a flavor I do enjoy but there does not seem to be a call for it on my jobs. I would like to hear more about the differences in music.

John C.

#50523 - 06/23/07 01:16 PM Re: Audience Favourites
Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
Quote:
Originally posted by bruno123:
It is interesting to see the differences from across the pond on this subject. The song Lady in Red has a flavor I do enjoy but there does not seem to be a call for it on my jobs. I would like to hear more about the differences in music.

John C.

#50524 - 06/23/07 03:50 PM Re: Audience Favourites
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
The audiences I play for are mostly Senior Citizens & Very Senior Citizens.... Many are former professional musicians....

They like Polkas & Marches best.... are not particular about which ones.... Actually every type of music that moves at all....

#50525 - 06/23/07 04:06 PM Re: Audience Favourites
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Wow! What a great bunch you all are. I never expected to get so many replies and there are lot of suggestions to get me started on my list.

Firstly, like Larry my first love is Boogie and the piano. Having said that as I am now in my more 'mature years' (no I'm not going to tell you where I'm at) I find my fingers refuse to go the pace they used to in the days when I played a lot of Winnifred Atwell's music, but I still play Boogie. In fact when I was about 8 my eldest brother who's an 'ear' player showed me how to play boogie and I've never forgotten the mixed phrases he showed me and to this day I still play them. Apart from the very heavy classics and some of the jazz, I like all types of music. I think the no.1 request I get asked to play is Glen Miller's Moonlight Serenade. I don't think anyone has yet mastered the art of playing it like Glen Miller though, I do keep trying to perfect it but just when I think I've cracked it today - tomorrow I play it again and it sounds just awful, hence I've got quite a collection of my own variations on this tune which I've collected over the years. I'm sure you must all know what I'm saying, I never seem able to quite compose my 'masterpiece' .....

Other than that, the venues I go to are usually for Seniors and/or Celebrations of some sort, so of course I have a selection of singalongs and dance tunes which I always take with me - just in case.

Now over to John C. Yes the differences in music is also very interesting. We did an experiment at our Keyboard Club once. We all agreed on the tune "Feelings" and then each played it in turn using a different rhythm (or no rhythm at all) and it was a great success. Ten of us took part and it was amazing how the same tune could be played using different styles and rhythms.
Those members who were listening admitted afterwards that they thought it would be boring hearing the same tune being played over and over but had quite enjoyed listening to each person's rendition of it. It was played to rhumba, bossa, boogie, ballad, jazz piano, straight piano, straight organ, one member sang it and I played it to Orchestral Piano. Yes, it is fun. What would you play it to I wonder John or indeed any of you others?

Audrey

#50526 - 06/24/07 07:46 AM Re: Audience Favourites
casarosa Offline

Loc: Costa Calida Spain
I don’t gig but just play for my own pleasure and entertainment the fingers don’t seem to work as efficiently when you are getting older my favourites

James Bond Themes,
Fields Of Gold,
Somewhere Over The Rainbow,
Crazy,
Hello Dolly,
Bewitched,
Cavatina,
What A Wonderful World,
The Greatest Love OF All,
How Deep Is Your Love,
Careless Whisper,
What A Feeling,
Patience.
Misty
Fly Me To The Moon
Someone Said Goodbye
Amarantine

These are just a few I have more music books than the store

Regards

#50527 - 06/24/07 03:20 PM Re: Audience Favourites
Audrey Turner Offline

Hello Casarosa,

I don't think I've ever heard the last title you mention - "Amarantine" - what sort of music is it please? I'm always interested in unusual pieces of music(unless it's in five sharps - I hate sharps).

Audrey

#50528 - 06/25/07 03:41 AM Re: Audience Favourites
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
It's by Enya, Audrey and she's a wonderful singer songwriter from Ireland.
Rog

#50529 - 06/25/07 03:41 PM Re: Audience Favourites
Audrey Turner Offline

Thanks Roger,

I have quite a few Irish Books, so I'll get my PC to look for it. If it doesn't find it then I don't have it....

"Lazy so and so ain't I just?"

Audrey

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online