SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#504578 - 12/21/21 11:46 AM Intros in Great American Songbook Standards
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
So many of the great standards had really nice opening versus that set up the song so well, yet these versus are seldom performed. I guess I don't play the intro versus much because they are not in the fakebooks, but I guess I could get off my lazy backside and listen to the originals and transcribe them. How about you, do you include the opening verses?

This video has the opening verses for "White Christmas" " Over the Rainbow" and "Fly Me to the Moon"

Enjoy.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#504582 - 12/21/21 12:14 PM Re: Intros in Great American Songbook Standards [Re: montunoman]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I always enjoyed the opening intro to My Funny Valentineā€¦

A lot of the American Standards songs come from musicals, which often had kind of preambles on stage to set up the songā€¦. A way to transition from the spoken dialog to the sung refrains. You can hear it here as the preamble has a more dialog type of structure, setting up the playful ribbing of the song!

https://youtu.be/ahE7lDYRrms

#504675 - 12/24/21 12:00 PM Re: Intros in Great American Songbook Standards [Re: Diki]
Terrysutt Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
A few years ago I posted about verses not being used in songs
when they were part of the story.The particular song I posted about was "Georgia on my mind"where you don`t find the verse on
many recordings.I prefer to perform the verse AFTER the first chorus for this song but that`s just me.

Attachments
Georgia on my mind.mp3 (45 downloads)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online