SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#504395 - 11/30/21 10:33 PM Genos Firmware v2.10 ready for download
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/mu...ml#product-tabs

[V2.02 to V2.10]
- You can now change the tempo with dial operation directly (without pressing the [TEMPO] button) while the Home display is shown.
- The maximum value of "Pattern Length" of the Style Creator has been extended from 32 to 128 bars.
- You can now set whether or not a file is loaded immediately when it is selected with the dial when the File Selection display is active.

Also updated Owner Manual and Ref. Guide.
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#504398 - 12/01/21 08:03 AM Re: Genos Firmware v2.10 ready for download [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Thanks for the update GJ
Nice to know Yamaha is still active with arranger keyboards
smile

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#504434 - 12/06/21 07:48 AM Re: Genos Firmware v2.10 ready for download [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
The same type of update is now available for the SX-900 and SX-700 V1.10

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#504436 - 12/08/21 09:24 AM Re: Genos Firmware v2.10 ready for download [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I have a suggestion for the Chord Sequencer…

Seems to me that the names of each section need to be in the field with the big typeface, not that breakdown of chord structure (which is wrong the minute you transpose it). In the heat of playing, it would be much better to easily read things like ‘VERSE’, ‘SOLO’, ‘VAMP’, ‘ENDING’, things like that…

Currently, the section names are in a tiny font above the main section, hard to read.

The 8 section chord sequencer is a game changer, but Yamaha haven’t really thought it through about how to best display the information that players need to see while performing. Currently, the best you can do is have it display maybe the first few chords of a section, nowhere what you’d need if the section was a complete verse or chorus, etc..

It seems to me that the feature is designed around modern song structure, that tends to be maybe four chords looped over and over (🤮), but utterly useless for the majority of music that the majority of arranger players play..! We play music with more than four chords…

I wonder if Yamaha could be persuaded to update this feature, and turn it into something far more relevant..?

#504437 - 12/08/21 12:57 PM Re: Genos Firmware v2.10 ready for download [Re: Diki]
organgrinder Offline

Loc: ft. lauderdale, florida
FOUR CHORDS? It took me years to find out what the fourth chord was until I remembered it was the one you plug in the wall. SORRY, I couldn't resist.
MEL

#504448 - 12/09/21 11:24 PM Re: Genos Firmware v2.10 ready for download [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, it’s not so much the number of chords. Maybe there’s only three… but the problem is, even with the huge screen real estate each chord sequencer section gets, you can’t display the chords for a whole verse, or chorus, or bridge, whatever, just the first few. So it’s basically useless for anything other than displaying two bar loops’ chords.

That’s not what arranger players play. If you do music based on short loops, you use a workstation, an MPC, an NI Maschine, or a laptop. Not an arranger, for sure!

Yamaha made a bold leap forward with storable, multi-part chord sequences. It completely blurs the lines between arranger use and sequence use. But the way they have chosen the GUI for it has hobbled it somewhat.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online