SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#503957 - 10/03/21 02:39 AM Re: My Yamaha PSR-SX900 Concert [Re: Kabinopus]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Hi Sergey,

having returned to the fold here on SZ only recently I listened to this concert of yours, which is inspiring to say the least.
Your piano playing is very proficient to my ears, but then I am only a beginner really, and your ability to improvise at great lenght is simply staggering imho. You know that I have come to love the piano as well and my wife adores me if I start extemporizing on the piano as well (....otherwise as well fortunately for me :), but then I often get stuck with four chords, hahaha!!!
I would not know which posture to assume to play in the best way but as you mentioned yourself you have gotten used to a certain position over the years and are most likely to stick with that. As long as you can produce what you can produce I would say: "who cares?"
About the SX-900 piano sounds, nothing wrong with them but I cannot help feeling that I slightly prefer you playing the piano on your Roland, but than there is no accounting for tastes, is there ?
In general the SX is a very good arranger keyboard though with lots of sounds that are up to par, even for professional use.
Keep up the good work my friend !!!

regards
John

#503981 - 10/06/21 09:42 AM Re: My Yamaha PSR-SX900 Concert [Re: john smies]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Hello again, John;

thank you for your kind attention! As scientists say, to learn something new is a very healthy activity to our minds, and also quite a challenge.

I spend a lot of time with my guitar although it doesn’t seem practical or very promising but there’s something in the sound which I like and can’t find it elsewhere. It’s curious also that some people listening to it would say something which I understand as “you’d better stick to your keyboard” but in the same time some girl (a pretty one as well) would say “I love it” while being unemotional about my arranger playing, so it’s hard to rely on the feedback.

The piano on the SX900 sounds to me very close to what I had on the S950, and I bought the Juno-DS because I was impressed with its piano, so your impression kind of supports my choice. But the default piano on the Juno-DS has its own disadvantage: some notes tend to sound louder than others, and the additional piano, while being more equal volume wise, has some unnatural noises, after a while it can get annoying.

But I try to recall how excited I was when getting my first “grownup” keyboards, which we would call “entry-level” now, and realize that this some sort of “perfectionism” can be a sign that I’m loosing the point.

It’s much harder to get attention on YouTube today than it used to be some years ago, basically YouTube keeps some “gap” between popular content and not-so-popular one, which in its turn makes the gap even larger. If you don’t have enough views, you can’t turn on monetization, and without monetization you get less promotion, because YouTube needs monetization himself.

And I’m not ready to start making videos like “10 worst mistakes you can do with your keyboard” or “all the Beatles’ songs in one minute”, which could attract a larger audience.

One of the largest stores in Russia which sales instruments says things like “it takes us a year to sell at least one TOTL keyboard” or “we are poor and small”.

I’m saying it because I had an idea to move to cheaper keyboards under condition that some store would provide me with them in exchange for promotion, but the facts are that my content is not popular enough, the stores aren’t rich enough and keyboards aren’t demanded enough.

I’m trying to stay open minded, even to check my options in “young” genres like rap/hip-hop, but, well, it doesn’t seem very inspiring after all. Yet, I basically feel good, even being undetermined, although I’m having a cold right now, because I expect that everything will stay in the game, changing its form or not, adjusting, getting simpler or complex, and we can witness it, we can participate, anyway, nothing really stops :-)

#503990 - 10/07/21 07:45 AM Re: My Yamaha PSR-SX900 Concert [Re: Kabinopus]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Sergey,

I was not aware of the volume issue with the Roland Juno DS, which can put a person off no doubt. At times I wonder why so many people make a great issue out of the piano sound because there is such a tremendous variety of them both in the arranger keyboards , the workstations and last but not least VST.
And very proficient piano players are always among the first to remark that what they hear is actually not the real mcCoy !!!
So be it. Most workstations and arranger keyboards these days offer piano sounds more than acceptable for the average player.
Heck, I still have my 20 year old Yamaha P80 stage piano with an incredible ROM sample memory of 22Mb ( that's right Megabyte and no Gigabytes around ) and I still love it to death....
As a matter of fact I recently finished a very personal arrangement of Clapton's Wonderful Tonight , basically using this piano and I will post it here after finishing this narrative.
They always say that " beauty is in the eye of the beholder " but very much so regarding music "beauty is in the ear of the listener ".
Your comments on the keyboard market in Russia are not very uplifting, I guess here in Holland we are spoiled rotten as far as arranger keyboards are concerned. On top of which thousands and thousands of those in every conceivable price range are being offered as secondhand here in our country.
As to Youtube and monetization, I have never had to bother about that for the simple reason that virtually all of my music are covers ( be it hopefully with an inspiring new arrangement)so I am not allowed to take a penny for those entries on youtube which suits me fine as to me it is just a platform to share my music with family, friends etc. in a simple manner, in particular those living abroad etc.
May I finally commend you once more on your words of wisdom in general as well as your terrific command of the English language, I know how hard it must be taking into consideration I studied a bit of Russian 40 years ago.....as you know by now.

kind regards
John

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online