#503696 - 09/02/21 01:03 PM Re: Is Musicianship Dying? [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA

#503697 - 09/02/21 02:00 PM Re: Is Musicianship Dying? [Re: Bill Lewis]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
I'm over 60. Whats an EDM ? 😂

For those over 60, EDM is "erectile disfunction medication". For the youngsters it stands for Electric Dance Music.

Sorry, dumb joke : )

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#503698 - 09/02/21 02:13 PM Re: Is Musicianship Dying? [Re: Bernie9]
montunoman Offline

As to if musicianship is dying, I'd say absolutely not! Just watch all the child prodigies coming up. There's plenty of kids out there playing jazz, classical and other "traditional " forms at extremely high levels.

I remember being interested in jazz at a young age, and it was a major chore to find the classic albums that my teacher would recommend to listen too. Now you can listen to any Charlie Parker song instantly, find transcriptions for free, as well as tutorials. If there are no jazz teachers in your area you can easily study with the worlds best teachers via Zoom or whatever. The information is ready available and apparently not all kids are addicted to video games. Some are becoming great players, but I do wonder if they will have an audience that appreciates their talents once that aren't cute kids anymore?

#503699 - 09/02/21 02:23 PM Re: Is Musicianship Dying? [Re: Bernie9]
montunoman Offline

Bernie, as to what to play for the 30-40 year old's, Gary gave some good advice. But let me add this: Just be yourself. Give them your best stuff, whatever that is. Even if that's " old time grandpa music" like Sinatra, Elvis, Glen Miller, Hank Williams, Beatles, Stones or whatever. Most people can appreciate a good artist that is authentic, even they play "oldies". Do what you do best, and if you're still concerned about catering to them you can play the music of their era ( 90's -2000's) in "DJ" mode on your break.

#503700 - 09/02/21 04:27 PM Re: Is Musicianship Dying? [Re: Bernie9]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Thanks Bernie, I didn't know I knew that. Hypnotic club music. A friend of mine used to do that way back in the cassette days. I don't know what drew him to it

#503701 - 09/02/21 08:49 PM Re: Is Musicianship Dying? [Re: Bernie9]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I agree… the kids will listen to 60’s stuff done really well far happier than current stuff done badly. And trust me, if it’s something contemporary you have no respect for or like, you WILL do it badly!

I only have one person that attends every single show I do. Me! So, keeping my biggest fan happy is job #1… 😂

Play what YOU love, let the chips fall where they may. And if you HAVE to play at least some contemporary music, find some YOU like. It’s out there. If you look…

#503703 - 09/03/21 01:32 AM Re: Is Musicianship Dying? [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Thank you much, guys, for what I consider sage advice. Just because I have been playing for 55 years, doesn't mean I know it all, but with professionals here to advise me, I can proceed. The idea of changing how I play to try and keep relevant to a few, is fool hearty. In fact, a few times over the years, I became doubtful that my 150 core songs from the 20's to the 70's were currant enough, and updated much of my music. This meant carrying my laptop, as I no longer had everything memorized. My thought was to keep my old material in abeyance ,just in case.

What I found was that the great standards ,that I know so well, were always well received even though I thought they pegged me as an old fart that was behind the times. That may be so if I were foolish enough to try and be something I'm not. My daddy always said that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Well this old boy is staying the course while adding some.

As to musicianship, I agree. Paul and Diki, for two, have convinced me that it is the eye of the beholder, and to dismiss talent based upon little understood genres is short sighted.

Thank you all for your sage advice,

#503704 - 09/03/21 03:29 AM Re: Is Musicianship Dying? [Re: Bernie9]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
You can’t please the people all the time, but you can please the people some of the time. Amen!

Bernie, I understand everything you have said. You can add a few new ideas, but don’t change what you love to do. The new will always make you feel old --- but that is what we are. Your success of 55 years says it all.

Take care my friend, John C.

PS, towards the end of my playing career I added and changed my music – more disco, rock, and blues, but I no longer enjoyed what I was doing. After playing, I looked at my guitar/keyboard and thought: With all that I have learned, I just played that three-chord song – what am I doing?????

#503705 - 09/03/21 04:11 AM Re: Is Musicianship Dying? [Re: Bernie9]
organgrinder Offline

Loc: ft. lauderdale, florida
You may have played that three chord song but you don't have to
use those three chords. Not with all your knowledge. Ha ha.
MEL

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online