SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#503653 - 08/29/21 10:57 AM Re: Using the Roland RD-88 to control the GENOS [Re: Diki]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Originally Posted By Diki
I think you are focusing a bit too much on legacy MIDI ports. Nowadays, the USB port provides all the MIDI connectivity you need, and push comes to shove and you have a dinosaur in your rig with no USB, there are inexpensive USB to MIDI converters.

Life has become a whole lot easier with USB!

Yes, if you are using a computer in between.

We are talking about USB to Midi , not Midi to USB. I’m not sure you are aware that it doesnt work in reverse.

Let me know if you have USB to midi converter without power supply.

There is none.

( Eg. using Yamaha P125 to say hook up SX900.

There is none unless you have converter box in between with own power supply.

There is a reason that Pros require midi outs in Live situation.

Not talking about this

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/...mini-din-cable?

Talking about this

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDIExpand--keith-mcmillen-instruments-midi-expander

Edited by Diki (09/07/21 08:40 AM)

#503654 - 08/29/21 11:12 AM Re: Using the Roland RD-88 to control the GENOS [Re: Diki]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Originally Posted By Diki
I think you are focusing a bit too much on legacy MIDI ports. Nowadays, the USB port provides all the MIDI connectivity you need, and push comes to shove and you have a dinosaur in your rig with no USB, there are inexpensive USB to MIDI converters.

Life has become a whole lot easier with USB!

Yes when it’s Midi to USB. Not usb to midi.

I’m not sure you are aware that it doest work in reverse. It always require external box with own power supply or computer in between.

Show me how you connect say P125 to sx900 with one cable without converter box ( which always require power supply ). There is none because keyboards uses USB B connector.

There is a reason that Pros require midi outs in Live situations. One simple cable between two Midi equipped gear. No dongles/ no extra boxes/ no adapters/ no computers in between.

#503659 - 08/29/21 09:42 PM Re: Using the Roland RD-88 to control the GENOS [Re: Tapas]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
So what’s the problem with a power supply for a converter? You’ve got one for the SX… 🎹😎

Pro’s use whatever it takes. If they want to use two pieces of gear, they find a way…

#503742 - 09/07/21 03:09 AM Re: Using the Roland RD-88 to control the GENOS [Re: Tapas]
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
K&M 18820 Omega Pro Stand for Roland RD-88/Genos

After a lot of research I settled on the K&M 18820 Omega Pro Keyboard Stand for the Roland RD-88 and the Yamaha GENOS.

What makes this perhaps the best solution is its portability, sturdiness and expandability.

It has foldable legs which makes it ideal for a gigging musician to carry along.

I was able to adjust the height so that the top of the white keys on the Roland RD-88 is exactly 29 inches from the floor. This matches the height of the Roland RD-700GX resting on the Quic-Lok M91 Keyboard Stand.

29 inches is the standard height of the white keys on an acoustic grand.

The K&M 18810 Omega Table Style Stand is cheaper.

However, I will strongly discourage buying this cheaper model unless you are absolutely sure you would never have any need to move it. This is not portable. It does not have foldable legs.

The K&M Omega Stands are highly expandable. You can add a second tier as well as a third tier. You can add various arms and trays.

I added the K&M 18811 2nd Tier to hold the Yamaha GENOS.

The 2nd tier can be slanted at a 20 degree angle. This helps with the ergonomics to bring the 2 keybeds closer to each other.

This contraption is almost as good and sturdy as the Quick-Lok M91/M92 combo.

There is no side to side sway on the K&M stand. However due to its design you do have a very slight front to back sway. If you can find a used Quick-Lok M1/M2 stand, buy it. It is stable in both directions. Otherwise, the K&M 18820/18811 is your best option.

Konig & Meyer Stands are made in Germany under strict quality control. Yes, they are expensive but you will quickly excuse the higher price once you open the package and begin to appreciate the build quality and engineering that went behind this product. The assembly instructions were clear and every piece fitted like a glove with tight tolerances.

Surprisingly, you can get a much better deal by ordering direct from ThomannMusic in Germany. They ship via UPS Express Saver in 3 days to the US for a very reasonable $45 shipping charge.

I was so impressed with their lightning fast delivery that I got the second tier from them as well.

Customer Service at Thomann Music was outstanding.

There is no doubt in my mind that the K&M Stands are the high-end of keyboard stands. Notice how this Digital Piano Dealer is using K&M Stands exclusively. The guy unboxes a Roland RD-88 and placed it below the RD-2000.

Here is a comprehensive review by a user showing the different attachments to the K&M Stand.

I have the Ultimate Support AX-48 stand. I will recommend the K&M 18820 model over this and even over the Roland Z-Stand and the KS-G8B Stand.

The K&M 18820/18811 contraption is more versatile, portable and expandable. They come with a 5-year warranty. This destroys the competition. This gets a perfect score of 10/10.

Eventually, I would be replacing my X-stands and Z-stands with K&M stands.

The portable K&M 18820/18811 stand supporting the Roland RD-88 and GENOS seems to be the perfect solution for a gigging musician who wants to add a quality 88-note graded weighted action keybed with key escapement for their GENOS.

I am 100% satisfied. I only wish I had not wasted money on the cheaper stands and got these from the get go.

#503744 - 09/07/21 08:30 AM Re: Using the Roland RD-88 to control the GENOS [Re: Tapas]
Diki Offline

Unreadable. Please edit your post that blew up the page width

EDIT… FIXED

Edited by Diki (09/07/21 08:46 AM)

#503745 - 09/07/21 08:32 AM Re: Using the Roland RD-88 to control the GENOS [Re: Tapas]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
David, Thanks for more input on your set up. By the way although your post is spread out I was able to read it.

#503746 - 09/07/21 08:42 AM Re: Using the Roland RD-88 to control the GENOS [Re: Stephenm52]
Diki Offline

Fixed. I edited those ridiculously long URL’s. Please check how you are copying and pasting product URL’s, you don’t need more than just the product….

#503747 - 09/07/21 08:45 AM Re: Using the Roland RD-88 to control the GENOS [Re: Tapas]
Diki Offline

Personally, I’m a huge fan of this stand… https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/...keyboard-table.

I find a ‘leg at each corner’ offers the most stability, plus it’s about half the price of the Omega!

#503748 - 09/07/21 09:26 AM Re: Using the Roland RD-88 to control the GENOS [Re: Diki]
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Yes, the Gator Frameworks Heavy Duty Keyboard Table will offer much better stability due to having 4 vertical legs.

The K&M Omega Pro has a slight front to back sway because it has only 2 vertical legs.

As you add more weight with the 2nd and 3rd tier, you should expect to notice more of this front to back sway.

The Gator Frameworks Table Top Style stand will be the ideal economical choice if you plan on supporting a single digital piano.

I do not see a way to add a second tier.

#503815 - 09/15/21 03:11 PM Re: Using the Roland RD-88 to control the GENOS [Re: Tapas]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
David, FYI I just ordered an RD88 via our friend and member Frankieve @ AudioProCt.

Edited by Stephenm52 (09/15/21 03:11 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online