SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#503607 - 08/22/21 03:52 PM Using the Roland RD-88 to control the GENOS
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
In my quest to find the best portable 88-key digital piano to control the Yamaha GENOS, I settled on the Roland RD-88.

Thanks to Frank Ventresca from AudioProCT.com for delivering the unit in pristine condition via UPS.

When deciding on a portable 88-key piano as a lower manual to control the GENOS, the two main factors are the key feel and the quality of the piano samples.

Keyboard Action

The Roland RD-88 keyboard action trounces the competition as this price point. The Progressive Hammer Action (PHA-4 Standard) on the RD-88 with key escapement surpasses the GH3 action on the Yamaha P125 and the RH3 action on the Korg D1.

The black keys on the RD-88 do not suffer the unevenness of the Casio CDP-S350 that I reviewed here

The weight of the black keys feel balanced with the white keys as they should. The length of the white keys comes at a standard 5.75”.

To make the black keys equally playable as the white keys the depth of the keyboard had to be increased to 10.1” compared to the slimmer 9” depth on the Casio CDP-S350. Yes, that 1 inch makes a world of difference

The height of the Roland RD-88 had to be increased to 6.3” compared to the shallower 4” height on the Casio to accommodate the PHA-4 mechanism.

The RD-88 weighs 5.8 lbs more than the Casio.

The slight increase in size and weight on the RD-88 translates to a much more satisfying piano action.

The keyboard feels very responsive. It is adequate as a portable 88-key graded hammer action controller that weighs in under 30 lbs. No other manufacturer offers a better keybed that weighs less.

However, the RD-88 features the most basic PHA-4 Standard variant. The next step up is the PHA-4 Premium followed by the PHA-4 Concert action.

The absolute best Piano Action from Roland is featured on the RD-2000. It has the top of the line PHA-50 action with real wooden keys. This adds a lot of heft. This weighs 48 lbs.

You can immediately notice the difference when you play on the RD-2000 after playing on the RD-88. The keys on the RD-2000 feel more luxurious and the action is smoother. You would have to sacrifice portability to bring the PHA-50 wooden keys to the RD-88.

The real wooden keys on the RD-2000 imparts an extra amount of inertia. This inertia helps in maintaining a finer control over the velocity with which you strike the keys.

Both the RD-88 and the RD-2000 feature synthetic Ivory toppings. They offer a better grip than the polished white keys on the Yamaha P125 and Korg D1.

Based on Piano Action alone, here are my rankings from best to worst:

Roland RD-700GX featuring PHA-2 action with real wooden keys and key escapement.

Roland RD-2000 featuring PHA-50 action with real wooden keys and key escapement.

Note: I am rating the older PHA-2 action as being superior to the new PHA-50 action.
The PHA-2 keybed has a heavier action more closer to a real grand piano. The PHA-50 action feels more damped and sluggish compared to the old PHA-2 action. This makes it harder to play repeated notes on the Roland RD-2000 compared to the Roland RD-700GX. The keys bounce back faster on the RD-700GX.

Roland RD-88 featuring PHA-4 action with plastic keys and key escapement.

Yamaha Clavinova CVP-609PE with Natural Wood Keys.

Piano Voice

The very first Piano Voice that comes up when you power on the RD-88 is the Concert Grand patch.

Typically, manufacturers place their best piano voice on the default patch.

However, the Concert Grand is not the best piano sample on the RD-88. You would have to patiently scroll to preset 024 = Expressive Grand

You can easily tell the difference in quality by pressing down and holding note C2 on Preset 024 and comparing that with Preset 001

The Expressive Grand exhibits a lot more richness and harmonics as the sound fades to black.

There is a reason to that.

This Expressive Grand sample was taken from the Roland RD-700GX Expressive Grand 88 Key preset. As the name implies, each of the 88 keys were individually sampled at multiple velocity levels. This is the piano patch that made the Roland RD-700GX gain its wide popularity amongst Stage Pianos.

Later I purchased the Roland RD-700GX SuperNatural Piano Kit. I was disappointed. It did not sound as organic and real as the Expressive Grand patch.

Roland has done a lot of R&D on their modeling technology. One can understand why they are pushing their SuperNatural pianos on all their newer products.

If you buy the RD-2000, their premium Stage Piano, it does not feature the Expressive Grand sample. Instead, you will find all their SuperNatural patches prominently showcased. You would have to be a former RD-700GX owner to know the existence of the superb Expressive Grand patch and find the download link to get this into your RD-2000.

The Expressive Grand based on traditional sampling trumps all of these SuperNatural samples.

This was Roland’s masterpiece. They are trying to underplay it.

Modeling technology still cannot match the subtlety, richness, harmonics and nuances of Sampling.

This is clearly evident when you compare the best of modeling technology from PianoTeq with the best traditional sampling from Garritan

Although both the RD-88 and the RD-700GX features the Expressive Grand sample, the RD-88 version does not quite match up to the richness of the RD-700GX. Part of the reason could be that the wooden keys on the RD-700GX offers finer control over the velocity bringing greater expression to your playing.

Outstanding Sounds on the RD-88

Pianos
024 Expressive Grand *** This is the best Piano sample on the RD-88 ***
034 Expressive+Bell

Electric Pianos
066 FM Phaser
070 D-50 EP *** Turn on Dual Mode to layer the Staccato Heaven voice

Clav/Mallets
091 Vibraphone 2
092 True Vibraphone
095 Marimba
097 Music Bells

Organs
110 Rotary Organ 1
119 D-Bars 7
120 VK Organ 2
123 D-50 Organ
129 Far and Wide *** Excellent Patch
130 Cathedral
132 Accordion
133 Musette
134 Bandneon

Strings
140 Slow Full Strings
154 OB Strings 1

Pads/Choir
193 Kings Choir
205 Fantasia
206 Fantasy
209 Stacc.Heaven

The RD-88 allows you to layer any two voices that transmit on MIDI Channels 1 and 2.
You may also split the keyboard introducing a 3rd voice on the lower keyboard that transmits on MIDI Channel 3.

This allows you to play an Acoustic Bass on the lower keyboard while layering a Piano and a String Voice on the upper keyboard.

I will discuss the connectivity options in my next post.

Best regards,

David

#503608 - 08/22/21 06:34 PM Re: Using the Roland RD-88 to control the GENOS [Re: Tapas]
Tapas Offline

Roland RD-88 Audio & MIDI Connections

The Roland RD-88 Digital Piano comes with a standard 5-pin DIN MIDI OUT Port. This makes it a breeze to use the RD-88 as a controller for the Yamaha GENOS.

Simply use a MIDI cable to connect the MIDI OUT Port of the RD-88 to the MIDI-A IN Port of the GENOS. Optionally, connect the MIDI OUT Port of the Nectar MIDI Foot Controller to the MIDI-B IN Port of the GENOS and you have a complete setup ready to go without having to use a computer.

I like this hassle free setup. It works like a charm. You do not have to worry about installing the correct drivers. This is perfect for a gigging musician. It is a simple idiot proof setup.

You can trigger all the sounds on the GENOS from the 88-key weighted keybed of the RD-88. You can control all the style functions from the Nectar MIDI Foot Controller without having to reach out and touch the GENOS.

You can play the 024 Expressive Grand piano voice on the RD-88 which still sounds far better than the CFX Concert Grand voice on the GENOS.

I wish all digital pianos came with standard 5-pin MIDI IN/OUT ports.

Most newer digital pianos are dropping standard 5-pin MIDI ports in favor of USB MIDI ports. They come in handy when you are trying to interface your device with a computer without having to buy a separate USB-MIDI interface like the MOTU MIDI Express 128

The USB-MIDI interface on the RD-88 supports both Audio and MIDI.

I was worried that Roland may have dropped support for Windows 7 when I viewed the
Downloads for RD-88

I was relieved to find that the RD-88 Driver for Windows 8.1 works just fine for Windows 7 64-bit SP1.

Here is my User Guide showing how to install this driver.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Roland has designed a Multi-Client MIDI Driver. Unlike the Casio USB-MIDI driver which requires loopMIDI to engage more than one program at a time, the Roland driver can be shared simultaneously with multiple programs.

Once you install the RD-88 driver, you will get two sets of MIDI Input and Output Ports:

MIDI Input Ports:

RD-88
RD-88 DAW CTRL

MIDI Output Ports:

RD-88
RD-88 DAW CTRL

You may also transfer Audio via USB to your DAW.

The RD-88 has a pair of ¼” Phono outputs to connect to your mixer plus a stereo ¼” headphone jack.

The output is very clean but not as hiss free as the Roland RD-700GX or the RD-2000. The moment you plug in your headphones, you hear a little bit of background hiss even with the volume turned all the way down.

In comparison, the outputs on the Yamaha GENOS are dead silent. It makes no difference whether the main volume dial is set to min or max, there is no background noise.

Roland includes a very nice PSB-5U adapter with a built-in AC line filter. This is a 12V, 1.5A adapter with a tip positive design.

The Casio CDP-S350 comes with a cheaper adapter that does not have noise filtering. This makes it prone to AC humming noise creeping into your system. I had to purchase this AC Ground Loop Noise Isolator to fix the problem.

While the build quality on the RD-88 is far more sturdier than the CDP-S350 it does not quite match the tank like construction of the RD-2000.

You can hook up 3 pedals to the RD-88 via 3 ¼” jacks.

The RD-88 comes with built-in speakers. They are adequate for a quick sound check but lacks the bass and sound power for a small audience. Any note below C3 sound lean. You need external speakers to do this device proper justice.

I wish the RD-88 came with an Input Dial for scrolling through a list and pressing down to make a selection like the Roland Sonic Cell. Instead you have a Matrix of 9 small buttons to Increase/Decrease a value, cursor up/down/left/right, enter and exit.

Here are 3 videos that give you an overview of the built-in sounds on the Roland RD-88.

Pianos and Electric Pianos

Strings and Pads

Synths and Choirs

Here is an in-depth review by Stu Harrison explaining the features.

I agree with Mr. Harrison. The RD-88 is indeed like a lighter and more affordable version of the Roland RD-2000.

It is half the price.

However, it comes with some limitations that prevent you from replacing the RD-2000.

I will explain the limitations in my next post.

Edited by Tapas (08/22/21 08:12 PM)

#503609 - 08/22/21 08:05 PM Re: Using the Roland RD-88 to control the GENOS [Re: Tapas]
Tapas Offline

Roland RD-88 Digital Piano: Limitations

While Roland has designed the RD-88 to be the absolute best 88-key portable digital piano for the gigging musician at the $1300 price point, they have intentionally introduced several hardware and software limitations to prevent you from using this device beyond its intended scope.

This is a clever marketing decision to prevent potential loss of sale on their premium 88-key weighted action Controller, the Roland A-88 MKII and their premium Stage Piano, the Roland RD-2000.

The Roland A-88 MKII controller keyboard costs $1,050. It is a lot of money for a PHA-4 keybed. Many users would skip the A-88 MKII and get the RD-88 for $1,300 which has a similar PHA-4 keybed plus comes loaded with 3000 sounds.

This cannot be done because of a software limitation introduced by Roland.

To act as a bonafide MIDI controller, your device must be able to transmit on all 16 channels.

Roland intentionally crippled the MIDI Implementation on the RD-88. This device can only transmit on 3 MIDI Channels at a time.

Effectively, this prevents the RD-88 from being used as a MIDI Controller for a rack of soft synths or hardware sound modules.

This limitation can be easily lifted through an OS upgrade. Is it easy to understand why Roland will never do that.

This is a design feature!

Roland has introduced hardware and software limitations to prevent the user from using the RD-88 in a studio setup.

To use this device in a studio you need a collection of Drum Sets.

The RD-88 has 3000 sounds. However, it does not have a single Drum Set, not even a standard GM Drum Set.

Why?

Roland does not want a customer to purchase the RD-88 as a cheaper substitute for their RD-2000.

Rather, they want their customers to buy the RD-88 as a companion to the RD-2000 for gigging.

The RD-88 has a USB Port. You cannot play a standard MIDI File because the RD-88 will not receive on all 16 MIDI Channels. The device is limited to transmitting and receiving on 3 MIDI Channels.

This is a shame coming from the inventors of the General MIDI Standard.

Even a cheap $100 toy keyboard from Casio can transmit/receive on all 16 MIDI channels and comes with a GM soundset!

The RD-88 comes with one 5-pin DIN MIDI OUT port. There is plenty of space on the rear panel to include the standard MIDI In, Out, Out/Thru ports like the RD-2000. This was intentionally dropped to discourage customers using the RD-88 in a studio setting.

The RD-2000 comes with an excellent rotary dial to make selections quicker from a scrolling list. This Rotary Dial was intentionally dropped on the RD-88. Think how long it would take you to increment/decrement values from a long list by pressing tiny buttons.

These annoyances were added by design to dissuade a customer from choosing the cheaper RD-88 over the RD-2000.

The way it stands now, you will still need to buy the Roland A-88 MKII if you want a fully functioning 88-key controller. It is the best of its class at $1050. If you want a full featured Stage Piano that can be used in a Studio Setting, you best bet is the Roland RD-2000 at $2,700.

On the other hand, if you don’t want to haul around a 48 lb RD-2000, your best option for a portable 88-key piano purpose built for gigging is the RD-88.

I can’t blame Roland for their design strategy. They have to do what it takes to preserve their product lines.

This also leaves room for a competitor to introduce a portable 88-key weighted action Digital Piano around 30 lbs with a decent set of Piano and Electric Piano samples with a standard set of MIDI IN/OUT/THRU ports and full MIDI Transmit/Receive capability on all 16 channels with a GM, GM2, XG Soundset for under $1,300.

Yamaha, I am looking at you.

If you just want to practice your piano chops your best option is to buy the Roland FP-90X

This digital piano comes with the top of the line PHA-50 keybed and decent onboard speakers.

It is portable and still cheaper than the Yamaha Clavinova CLP-735

The RD-88 is a unique product. It offers exceptional value to a gigging musician. It perfectly complements a person who already owns a Yamaha GENOS. The RD-88 offers the most practical sense if you want to add an 88-key weighted action controller for your GENOS.

The RD-88 gets a perfect score of 10/10 so long the user does not trespass the boundaries of its intended use.

The RD-88/GENOS combo is a match made in heaven.

Now that I am familiar with the Casio CDP-S350 and the Roland RD-88 being used as a controller for the GENOS, I would wholeheartedly recommend the RD-88 in spite of its higher price.

Edited by Tapas (08/22/21 08:27 PM)

#503612 - 08/23/21 07:05 AM Re: Using the Roland RD-88 to control the GENOS [Re: Tapas]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Lots of info ! Another option is the Roland FP90. Same great action as the RdD2000. Less bells and whistles and a lower price. Got mine midied,to a,BK7M for an Arranger with a good keybed setup

#503613 - 08/23/21 09:37 AM Re: Using the Roland RD-88 to control the GENOS [Re: Tapas]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
David, Excellent reviews. I once had the Roland FP90 that Bill has written about it's a winner and the Roland Piano Designer software is a gem. Then I switched gears and sold it and bought another arranger.

I'm now looking at several digital pianos including the Roland FP60x or second on the list Yamaha DGX670 portable grand. After reading your review of the RD-88 and looking at it's lighter weight than the FP60x or the FP90 it could be the piano I decide to purchase.

#503620 - 08/23/21 08:05 PM Re: Using the Roland RD-88 to control the GENOS [Re: Stephenm52]
Tapas Offline

Hi Stephen,

You would certainly enjoy having the portable Roland RD-88 weighted action digital piano as a worthy addition to your collection of top-of –the-line Arrangers.

Since you have already owned the Roland FP-90, you are familiar with the silky smooth action of the PHA-50 keybed utilizing wooden keys. The plastic keys on the RD-88 sporting PHA-4 action does not quite match up, although they feel adequate enough.

The Yamaha DGX670 is the best 88-key arranger at the $850 price point. The key action is slightly better than the Yamaha P45, which has pretty much established itself as a solid beginner’s piano.

The textured keys with the PHA-4 action on the RD-88 feels better than the Yamaha DGX670.

The RD-88 has key escapement. This brings it closer to the touch of an acoustic grand.

Since you already own the GENOS and the PSR-SX900 along with the Yamaha CVP-307 Clavinova and Korg Pa4X it may be superfluous to add the DGX670.

You could use the RD-88 as a portable controller for the GENOS or the PRS-SX900 or the Pa4X.

The Yamaha DGX670 will be too bulky and heavy weighing in at 47 lbs.

#503621 - 08/24/21 03:52 AM Re: Using the Roland RD-88 to control the GENOS [Re: Tapas]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Tapas
Hi Stephen,

You would certainly enjoy having the portable Roland RD-88 weighted action digital piano as a worthy addition to your collection of top-of –the-line Arrangers.

Since you already own the GENOS and the PSR-SX900 along with the Yamaha CVP-307 Clavinova and Korg Pa4X it may be superfluous to add the DGX670.

You could use the RD-88 as a portable controller for the GENOS or the PRS-SX900 or the Pa4X.

The Yamaha DGX670 will be too bulky and heavy weighing in at 47 lbs.

David, Thanks for even more useful information. I think you said it best ,having the DGX670 would be superfluous.

#503622 - 08/25/21 01:42 PM Re: Using the Roland RD-88 to control the GENOS [Re: Tapas]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The one reason it might be worth investigating the DGX670 might be to check out those interactive Pianist styles. AFAIK, no other arranger has anything close…

Note well, I am suggesting INVESTIGATING it, not necessarily ‘investing’, LOL

But the nature of these styles is quite new, involving not only changing variations depending solely on how you are playing (no pressing buttons or footswitches whatsoever) but also style density, at least from what I have gathered without yet playing one.

But it is a seemingly very new way of responding to pianistic technique, and in my book, anything that just allows me to PLAY and the accompaniment just gets on with the job without me adjusting it, or what I want to play, that’s the gold standard..!

Yes, at the moment it’s in a nascent state, and the Pianist styles only represent a fraction of the ROM styles, but any step forward is worth checking out. Even response to velocity combined with kits and sounds that noticeably change can bring full piano accompaniment to new levels, particularly combined with the Roland system of being able to play five notes with the sustain pedal down without it triggering a new chord (but three with it up, as most already do). I am often quite amazed at how realistically my band is following my dynamics while I play without almost any consideration that I’m also controlling the chords.

But to have styles that go further, and change variations and density in response to my playing as well… 🤯

That’s an awfully nice set of keyboards, but none of them do the DGX670’s party trick. I’d say it’s at least worth trying out. Sure, the best sounds are always nice, but in the end, when you are playing arrangers as arrangers, how well the accompaniment responds naturally to YOU is possibly the most important element. Sure, what YOU play might sound fantastic, but if your backup is the usual plodding unresponsive bunch of guys, how can they inspire you?

That’s what a great band does… one that listens to you, responds to you, brings out the best in you. That’s what we should expect from a great arranger, even if the sounds aren’t yet TOTL. Hopefully, if Yamaha get great response to the new Pianist style system, it might migrate to a Genos or even an SX, but for now, that lowly DGX is the only game in town.

Definitely worth a play… 🎹😎👍🏼

#503645 - 08/28/21 09:20 AM Re: Using the Roland RD-88 to control the GENOS [Re: Tapas]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Rd 88 - does not play MIdi files ( good weight/ good piano sound/ not so good other acoustic sounds/ somewhat fragile construction, cheap rubber wheels that are slow to return ( should have put joystick from DS series) / midi out/ great compact design with good quality key bed). Should have put mp3/GM playback as one keyboard to carry to the gig.

Dgx- 670 - no midi out and bulky/ heavy ( they know that they have a good one/game changer here. Acceptable CFx sound for gigs/ Mic input with non VH efx,SA 1 acoustic sounds that outshines any sub $1500 keyboard of any brand ( except their SA 1/2 equipped arrangers) including their MOTL workstations ( not talking about FM part of MODX here), 4 variations and will write user styles,load thousands Yamaha styles including SFF2s). If they make it sub 35 lbs, take out the speakers, add a mod wheel ( even the same cheap quality), add mp3 playback, add LR outs and sell with $1000 ( even without multipads) , it will expend to two different buyers ( home kb buyers and gigging pros who need 88 keyboard that is light and that does it all).

It will also destroy competition ( due to usable features, even though FP30x has better feel and piano sound but no acceptable gigging live features ) and of course terrible feel and ok piano sound ( German/ Italian)/ no style editing/ writing of Korg XE20; Ek50 board with added piano sounds ( dgx 670 is competition to discontinued Korg Havian ( does it all , light weight but no midi out/good sounding pa 300 board) and bad GM quality sounding arranger portion of 88 key Casios. And the obvious; more usable 4 variation free styles than other manufacturers combined. Thanks to well priced early PSR640/640 and 2K days when MOTL with user style writing ability was cheap ( sub 1300$ at that time) which created a lot of sales and a lot of non middle eastern/ balkan user style pool ( compared to $2000 Korg i3/ I30, other IS series cannot write user styles, can only load ( I4s,i5, ix300, IS 40, 35, etc).

The game was pretty much over ( sales wise) when Megavoices were introduced ( T1, PSR 3K era) for western ( english ) music or similar 4/4, 3/4 playing world ( including east and southeast asia) due to simple style availability with realistic acoustic strums or 4/4 ballads/ simple country 8 beats / simple bass lines and ( no glitch fills like Korg )which are the majority of the new gen songs at that time ( ofcourse with old standards which were already covered).Different story with mid east/ balkan music playing world where Korg dominated due to local style support ( arabic/ turkish, 9/8 rhythms, etc) and sample load ability to non western sounds and percussion/ drum kits and quarter tone ability ( Yamaha tried with PSR-A series but not there yet due to extensive Korg format library). Roland did OK with E86 and G1000 era but not to Korg’s continuous level again due to user style/sound support.

Yamaha intentionally or non intentionally dropped the ball here with dgx670.

Yamaha management team, please read the above and talk to your people for (updated of next version of DGX 680 or PSR 880 or whatever you want to call it.

Roland FP30x - no midi out/ plays SMF from flash drive but , too much multi button pressing not designed for live gigs ( and no, i dont want to Bluetooth linked to Ipad to change sounds , more connection problems/ asking for failure)

Yes, there is no $1000 , sub 35 pounds 88 keys keyboad that has good piano sound, midi out, plays SMF, Wav and MP3 without loading with no multi button pressing easy onboard controls. Especially if you want to take ONE keyboard to the gig without hookups.

Roland DS88 does all that ( with battery powered portablility) but piano sound is no where close. ( it’s the most logical choice for non high end gigs).Yamaha Mx 88 , similar story with even smaller display and less features.

Manufacturers do this intentionally to prevent pros from buying MOTL gear and sabotage their TOTL sales ( by taking out pro features, Midi out/ user style writing/ make it bulky, etc).

Since R&D from previous generation’s sound chip was already paid ( 1999’s Triton, anyone? Korg PA 80 /60/50/ microarranger to EK50/Xe20/ new I3). Talk about 20 year recycle ( still sounds good in most areas).

Midi in out was gone after P95 ( yamaha) which is more affordable GHS keyboard.

They learned the lesson with Yamaha P80/ 90 ( made for home market but Pros start to use due to features , robust and relative portability ( well designed/ all metal body/slim cut) and GHE action. After that they make it havier/ bulkier with features ( for home users - Eg. 120/140 and now P515)and make it lighter with less features ( beginner -Eg. P125) and feature/design/ durability for Pros ( Eg- YC88) but above $2000.

It’s just business. Sometimes in the past, you get lucky with some models on weight/ durability/ gigbility ratio ( yamaha CP33, CP40, roland Rd300nx, etc). Good used CP4 is great as well. Even used p255 is worthy.

Sorry for typos( done from iphone).

Edited by jamman (08/28/21 04:08 PM)

#503649 - 08/29/21 06:53 AM Re: Using the Roland RD-88 to control the GENOS [Re: Tapas]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think you are focusing a bit too much on legacy MIDI ports. Nowadays, the USB port provides all the MIDI connectivity you need, and push comes to shove and you have a dinosaur in your rig with no USB, there are inexpensive USB to MIDI converters.

Life has become a whole lot easier with USB!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online