SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#503355 - 07/24/21 01:12 PM New Yamaha DGX670 owner
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Just got the DGX 670 a few days ago. As many have said, it’s a huge upgrade over its predecessors…I’ve owned the DGX 650 and the grandkids got the DGX 660.

This keyboard has functions I don’t even have on my Genos.

Hello to all after an absence. Been a busy year and a half having moved from MN to Joplin, MO.

😊

#503358 - 07/24/21 10:28 PM Re: New Yamaha DGX670 owner [Re: guitpic1]
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Congratulations!!

The Yamaha DGX-670 is the best 88-key weighted action Arranger Keyboard one can buy at $799. This model sets a new benchmark on the price/performance map. This is the logical and sensible purchase for a beginner.

I believe Yamaha was forced to reimagine their DGX line after Casio introduced their CDP-S350 88-key weighted action Compact Digital Piano with Arranger functions for $549.

Competition is great for the consumer.

Our local Sam Ash store is selling the DGX-670B model like hot cakes. The customers come in and play on the Yamaha P45, P125, Casio CDP-S350, Roland FP-30X, Casio Privia PX-S3000 and pick the Yamaha DGX-670B.

This fun video by Gabriel Aldort gives a good overview and explains the new features.

The only feature I wish that was included is a touch screen or a way to mirror the display on an iPad where you could control the instrument by touch.

Edited by Tapas (07/24/21 10:36 PM)

#503359 - 07/25/21 03:46 AM Re: New Yamaha DGX670 owner [Re: guitpic1]
Crossover Offline

Congratulations. I hope the CFX piano will also soon be available in the P line, in the successor of the P-125.

#503362 - 07/25/21 09:53 AM Re: New Yamaha DGX670 owner [Re: guitpic1]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I’m not a big fan of iPad control, because of Apple’s monopoly of program distribution. I’ve already been burnt by important iPad programs for the BK series no longer being available, and with no way to work around the App Store for installation, once gone from the store, they are GONE!

Laptops, otoh, the software works for as long as the OS supports it (and you don’t HAVE to upgrade the OS if it breaks the program!) and you can get copies of the installer decades later if necessary. Apple charge companies to keep apps up on the store, so it isn’t economical to keep a program up for a discontinued product for very long… So best of luck selling a keyboard that the control software is completely unavailable for. 🤬

I used to think iPad apps for music was a great thing, but in practice it hasn’t worked out as well as it could because of the brickwall between the device and unofficial installers.

#503493 - 08/10/21 07:00 AM Re: New Yamaha DGX670 owner [Re: guitpic1]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Cogratulations! Hope you'll get lot of fun with your new toy! 🎵🎹🎵
I've been looking at videos at YT, and it seem to be a great kboard.

Just wondring, is it possible to copy the preset styles and upload in a zip? Maybe they'll play nice at Genos as well?
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#503495 - 08/11/21 12:22 AM Re: New Yamaha DGX670 owner [Re: guitpic1]
guitpic1 Offline

Thx all for the comments.

I have the Genos as well but haven’t tried exporting styles between the two

I got the DGX to have more of a ‘piano’ experience. The styles, though limited in number, sound very good.

When I want to get into style playing more in depth, I go to my Genos

Edited by guitpic1 (08/11/21 12:26 AM)

#503500 - 08/11/21 09:12 AM Re: New Yamaha DGX670 owner [Re: guitpic1]
Diki Offline

If the Genos has a ‘mirror input’ MIDI mode, which simply copies all of the splits and layers onto a remote keyboard input even though it is sending just the one channel, that might be a great way to hook them together…

#503504 - 08/11/21 10:25 AM Re: New Yamaha DGX670 owner [Re: Diki]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I might need one for a dining room project at the main club I work. Is there any good way to amplify other than buying a Bluetooth compatible PA? What would it sound like coming out of the earphone jack into a mono pa, or splitting the signal?

R.

#503515 - 08/12/21 08:22 AM Re: New Yamaha DGX670 owner [Re: guitpic1]
Diki Offline

I wouldn’t go Bluetooth unless you can’t hear the amp, Russ. I find the latency a bit too much, makes the keyboard feel a bit sluggish. And wouldn’t using the headphone out defeat the built-in speakers? If not , maybe you could use that. I record my BK-9 off my headphone outputs and it’s as clean as a whistle, mind you I don’t run the volume at much more than 50%. I can’t speak for Yamaha, but nowadays, most headphone outs are pretty clean until you get to higher volumes…

How well it collapses to mono is definitely an issue if you want to use a stick and sub type amp (which are awesome for creating an even volume front to back of the room) so it might be worth checking before buying. Most stereo sampled pianos change tone fairly noticeably if you run them mono… How much it affects you might vary. Some don’t mind, me, it drives me bonkers!

#503516 - 08/12/21 08:30 AM Re: New Yamaha DGX670 owner [Re: guitpic1]
guitpic1 Offline

The DGX 670 has a way of playing both the headphones and built in speakers. I have used this function. I don’t know that the built in speakers would shut down if the headphone out was used for a speaker…I wouldn’t think so.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online