SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#50321 - 08/06/03 10:11 AM What does track 4 do in Easy Record Mode?
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi KN-ers,
I am wondering what function P4 has when I recorded a song by Easy Record Method. It is always empty (I guess). I understand 1(R1);2(R2);3(Lft);5(APC) and 6(CTL). But what is track 4 (P4) doiing
Maybe someone has an explanation for the presence of that track?
Kind regards,
Cees

#50322 - 08/06/03 01:33 PM Re: What does track 4 do in Easy Record Mode?
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Cees en Goeden Avond!

My answer to your question may not be phrased in the ideal way but let me try. If I am not mistaken, Part 4 was not available for Easy Record with the KN5000. When the KN6000 and subsequent keyboards were introduced, Part 4 could be selected using the Techni-Chord Orchestrator and that gave us four voices we could play simultaneously as opposed to the three on the KN5000. Thus, it was added to the voices we could record using Easy Record. Hope this answers your question.

Tot Ziens Mijn Vriend!

Chuck

#50323 - 08/06/03 02:23 PM Re: What does track 4 do in Easy Record Mode?
Marilyn Boissoneault Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Florida, USA
Your answer was fine, but I'll add just a little to it.

If you record a song in Easy Record and are using the Technichord and don't use part 4 as your Technichord part it won't be saved in your recording.

Marilyn

#50324 - 08/06/03 03:52 PM Re: What does track 4 do in Easy Record Mode?
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Marilyn, I think you are not quite correct in your assumption about Part 4. I have recorded many 'Easy Record' songs using Technichord with Conductor, Right1, Right2 or Left selected and I can assure you that the Technichord IS recorded within the sequence, without using Part4. If you have a look in the Step Edit screen, at a song which has been recorded using Technichord on say Right1, you will see that all the harmony notes are present, together with the Melody note, in the Right1 part of the sequence. In other words, the Harmony is embedded in the selected Technichord 'Target' part - RIGHT1, RIGHT2, LEFT. If CONDUCTOR is selected, then the Harmony is embedded in the selected voice for Right Hand : RT1 selected - Harmony in Right1 : RT2 selected - Harmony in Right2 : RT1 & RT2 selected : Harmony in Right1

Part 4 can indeed be used to provide another 'Instrument' and provide the Harmony notes and in this case, the selected Right Hand voice (RT1 or RT2) would only contain the Melody notes and all the Harmony notes will be contained in Part4, using whatever instrument has been assigned to Part4. So, for instance, you could have RT1 set to Trumpet, RT2 set to Trombone and Part4 set to Alto Sax. If you select RT1 to play, turn on Technicord and set it to CONDUCTOR, then you will hear a Trumpet with Trumpet harmony, However, if you set Technichord to Part4, you will now hear Trumpet with Alto Sax harmony. Selecting RT2 voice, Technichord to CONDUCTOR you will of course hear Trombone with Trombone harmony. Changing Technichord to Part4 results in Trombone with Alto Sax harmony.

To get back to Cees original question, Part4 is automatically included in the 'Save' function of Easy Record and is the only one of the 'Parts', which is treated this way.If you have not used it as the Technicord harmony instrument track, then it will be empty.
Another use for Part4 is that it can be used to add a counter melody after you have done your 'Easy Record' sequence, using the 'Real Time Recording' function. This assumes you have not used Part4 for Technichord. The resultant recording still only uses the Six parts allocated to Easy Record.
I apologise if I am trying to tell anyone how to suck eggs

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#50325 - 08/06/03 07:15 PM Re: What does track 4 do in Easy Record Mode?
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Regarding the use of Part 4 with Technichord, I follow the advice given by Alec in his book and always assign my Technichord to Part 4, even if I use the same instrument, as this enables me to adjust the level of the Technichord part independently of the level of R1.

#50326 - 08/06/03 07:46 PM Re: What does track 4 do in Easy Record Mode?
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Willum, Mike, Cees and all the rest of you guys and gals, you never cease to amaze me. The amount of stuff you got stored away in your heads makes mine hurt. For the most part all I ever do is just try to learn how to play this thing. But let me tell you I have been trying a lot of things you guys talk about and it sure is beginning to open up my understanding and adding to my enjoyment when I master some of these things. I guess I have been stuck here in the middle of the states growing and planting my shrubs and trees for too long. Kind of missing out on the things going on oversees and other parts of the country. One thing that I have not tried yet is the sucking of eggs. Willum you mentioned you tried to tell us how to do that but I guess I missed it. Is that sort of a British thing? Does it take a lot of practice or do you think I could get the hang of it. Sounds like fun.

Grandpa Doug

#50327 - 08/06/03 09:07 PM Re: What does track 4 do in Easy Record Mode?
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Thank you, my friends.
Your answers shows me a way to use P4. The idea to assign Technicord to P4 (as Bill and Mike pointed at) as a standard procedure when start recording, I like that. For instance: when replaying the recorded song, you can set P4 off and it is easier to analyse the melody. Further it make it easier, if wanted, to produce a midi-music-sheet with single notes on e.g. P1. I'm gonna explore that P4...
Thank you for your answers,
Cees.
Mmm Grandpa: I don't doubt at Bill's cooking quality's, but I think it is one bridge to far. Try step 1: how to cook water. Maybe someone else has that recepy

[This message has been edited by cees (edited 08-07-2003).]

#50328 - 08/07/03 02:59 AM Re: What does track 4 do in Easy Record Mode?
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
.....Sucking Eggs ?? I thought all Grandmas and Grandpas knew how to do this without young whippersnappers like me (??) telling them how

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#50329 - 08/07/03 06:28 AM Re: What does track 4 do in Easy Record Mode?
Marilyn Boissoneault Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Florida, USA
Thanks Bill for clarifying that. I'm sorry to be passing on wrong info. I had asked about the significance of Part 4 a couple of years ago when I got my first Technic's instrument. That is part of what I was told. I guess I never checked that out to see if it was right or wrong. I just have gotten into the habit of using part 4 because you can adjust volumes etc separately for your harmony.

I got out Alec's book, "How Do I Do That". I thought it said it there also. I see it doesn't actually say that, I just read it after having the previous info, so it colored my reading. Thanks for setting things straight!

Marilyn

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
[B]Marilyn, I think you are not quite correct in your assumption about Part 4. I have recorded many 'Easy Record' songs using Technichord with Conductor, Right1, Right2 or Left selected and I can assure you that the Technichord IS recorded within the sequence, without using Part4.

#50330 - 08/07/03 06:33 AM Re: What does track 4 do in Easy Record Mode?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
I thought Track 4 was a control track on my friends KN6000. Chord changes are stored here for playing back the arranger.
I stand to be corrected ?.

Graham UK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online