SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#502529 - 03/27/21 05:18 PM Projecting Lyrics to TV From Keyboard
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Because I do not sing I have often been asked if there was a way to show the
lyrics on a TV screen. I once printed about 100 song lyrics and put them in binders. The problem with that is I had to carry around 30 binders to every gig - not fun.

So, does anyone know how to project lyrics to a TV from your keyboard?
FYI -I currently use either my Yamaha S900 or my Ketron SD40 Module.

Deane

#502531 - 03/27/21 07:33 PM Re: Projecting Lyrics to TV From Keyboard [Re: hammer]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Deane, you can project the lyrics from your keyboard or from your iPad, or your laptop, if you are using one. All three need a conversion wire to meet the needs of what you are connecting to, and from.

The laptop is the easiest one. HDMI wire from laptop to the TV. The Sx900, and the iPad need a conversion wire. You can Google to find the information for both, and in the Sx900 manual.

I find the most difficult to use is the Sx900. The Laptop and iPad are easiest. My favorite is the iPad, with the On Song App.

Question: What are you using to display your music and lyrics now? If you are using books, you would have to scan each song and load them into an iPad, or the laptop.

Hope this helps, John C.

#502532 - 03/28/21 05:20 AM Re: Projecting Lyrics to TV From Keyboard [Re: hammer]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
The SD40 has DVI output which supports DVI and VGA signal types. If you. TV supports VGA or DVI then you need the right cable.

Take care with the pin layout, if you TV has a DVI input it might be digital only and the DVI connector will not have the analogue bits and if you get a fully populated DVI cable with both digital and analogue pins it will plug into the SD40 but not the TV!

For the SX9000 you need a USB to Video adapter and make sure it is on the Yamaha approved adapter list because the SX (and the Genos) only support a specific limited set of chipsets.

If your TV is HDMI I think you'll need another adapter to convert DVI or VGA to HDMI.

I have chained USB to VGA to HDMI with my SX900, a bit messy but it works fine.

#502533 - 03/28/21 09:54 AM Re: Projecting Lyrics to TV From Keyboard [Re: MacAllcock]
hammer Offline

Thanks John for the reply. What I am thinking now it to use my second iPad for the lyrics and hook up to a TV. Should be simple.

Deane

#502534 - 03/28/21 07:28 PM Re: Projecting Lyrics to TV From Keyboard [Re: hammer]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Deane,
I have “UnrealBook”, a PDF reader, and “On Song”. “On Song” is my favorite. Both Ed Shoemaker and I use it.
1-you can scrol down the page at a chosen speed.
2-Swipie your finder across to go to the next song.
3-Make song sets.
4-Display PDF files.
5-share “On Song” file songs with other people.
There is more.
I have my list which I can send you. What you need is a conversion wire from your iPad to a
TV or a monitor.
Take care, John C.

#502535 - 03/29/21 08:25 AM Re: Projecting Lyrics to TV From Keyboard [Re: bruno123]
hammer Offline

Thanks Bruno,
I have used UnrealBook for nearly 10 years. I am not familiar with the other app.
I will probably use my second iPad for the lyrics and setup a playlist just like I do with my lead sheets. Right now it is just an idea that was suggested to me and I am not really. sure If I will do it or not.

Deane

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online