SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#502363 - 03/02/21 10:54 AM Finally Ipad to BK
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
someone on Facebook put up the info on how to have Unrealbook and SongbookPlus on the Ipad select registrations on a Roland BK instrument when you select a song. I've been trying to find this out forever. He said he will be making a Youtube video of it so I will share when that is ready. dance

Edited by Bill Lewis (03/02/21 11:00 AM)

#502372 - 03/02/21 06:32 PM Re: Finally Ipad to BK [Re: Bill Lewis]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Pop it up on the Roland forum too, please. Thanks.

There’s something to beware about this feature, though... The MIDI addresses that call up Performaces do not point to any particular Performance. They only point to a ‘slot’ in the Performance List (1-999), so if you insert another Performance in an already existing list (to keep new songs alphabetical for instance, or to add an extra Performance to a song to cover a bunch of different sounds and layout for a section of a song) all subsequent Performances will now have been moved to new numbered slots...

This means old OnSong or Songbook entries will now ‘point’ to the wrong Performance. 😱

So, if you want to use tablet apps to call up Performances, you MUST commit to never reordering your List for any reason. Every new Performance must be added to the end of the List no matter it’s name, no matter where you’d like it to be.

So, it’s a commitment to the tablet apps once you start to use them. Not a reason to not use them, but certainly a consideration if you only want to occasionally use the tablet. I like my songs arranged alphabetically in the keyboard’s List, so I haven’t gone this route so far.

But most of the apps allow THEIR song list to be ordered any way you want, so as long as you commit to the tablet workflow, you are good to go...

#502373 - 03/02/21 06:50 PM Re: Finally Ipad to BK [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Diki
I understand what your saying but I don't think its a big problem. Anything new just gets added to the end of the Performance list. I knew this when I did my input for Unrealbook and wrote the list number on each song. I have everything in Alphabetical order in Unrealbook and thats what I work from.
I really happy with this, choose a song and I'm ready to go quickly., no down time between songs.
I use editedstyles for a number of songs and not song specific performances. My performance lost is around 80 styles.

#502375 - 03/03/21 08:36 AM Re: Finally Ipad to BK [Re: Bill Lewis]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, it’s not a big problem until someone forgets, inserts a new Performance in the List, and then the app stops calling up the right entries! 🤯

I am sure you’d never do that, but my warning was more towards others who might not appreciate the landmine lurking in the details....

My gig song list is getting well over 400 entries, so managing that if, for instance, the tablet crashed or ran out of juice would be a nightmare! I also mostly use MP3’s and SMF’s these days, so lyrics are embedded into the files and I have no need of sheet music. But I am sure that if I did a mostly styles gig, or used charts I’d be using a tablet..!

BTW, the information on how to format the codes to call up Performances, plus call up Styles and even style Divisions remotely with MIDI tended to get left out of the keyboard versions of the BK series manuals, but can all be found in the BK7-m manuals. I guess Roland didn’t feel that many would want to run the keyboards remotely, but realized the module would always need remote control.

Edited by Diki (03/03/21 08:37 AM)

#502377 - 03/03/21 09:29 AM Re: Finally Ipad to BK [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

I hear you on those points as well. I always bring two IPADs and carry chargers . I Also have everything in hard copy in a big fat heavy binder. And on the hard copies I have the Prefomance list numbers so "everyone bear with me as I get set up for the next song" LOL I always worry about stuff going down even though its really never happened to me ----yet !
I saw that info in the BK7M manuel but really didn't pay much attention to it ( didn't understand it )
This 3rd grade level of explaining it worked for me even though I still don't understand the terms or why I'm putting this number here, BUT it works !

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online