SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#502263 - 02/16/21 07:13 AM Yamaha psr sx900 drum part change
Guardman2001 Offline

Loc: USA
Hi all, Yamaha sx900. "Standard rock" style, drum part. first 2 variations have a scratch sound which I don't want. Is there a way to remove it? Thanx

#502277 - 02/18/21 01:43 PM Re: Yamaha psr sx900 drum part change [Re: Guardman2001]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
My Tyros 2 and psr 950 had a style in the rock category that a “ DJ scratch effect” that was so very cheesy, on an otherwise decent style.
Anyways I saw there were two separate drum tracks, I muted the “electric drum kit” and the scratch and pops went away, thank God!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#502286 - 02/19/21 09:35 AM Re: Yamaha psr sx900 drum part change [Re: Guardman2001]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
1. Mixer/EQ
2. Style
3. Rhythm 2 that has a Rock Drum Kit
(Style Example: Grunge Rock)
4. Chorus/Reverb>

The factory reverb may be too high for your liking.
Turn down the reverb for the rock drum kit part to near, or at 0

Tip: In Mixer(Style), hold down the Rhythm part (or any other part) until it turns a purplish color to hear a solo. Easier to edit individual parts like reverb, filter , EQ, etc.

5. Save as a new style or registration

Attachments
CAPT0001.jpg

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#502340 - 02/27/21 01:47 PM Re: Yamaha psr sx900 drum part change [Re: Guardman2001]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
The style file is a short midi file with significant style-specific sys-ex so you could export to a computer and edit the drum part?

I feel I must point out that I've never done this!

#502344 - 02/27/21 03:18 PM Re: Yamaha psr sx900 drum part change [Re: lahawk]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
When I am placing a song in my playlist/Regs, I do what Lahawk is suggesting. Select drums set, volume, and EQ. I do not save it as a style. Using the regs, I can vary the drums as needed.

John C.

#502351 - 02/28/21 12:49 PM Re: Yamaha psr sx900 drum part change [Re: Guardman2001]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If anyone has ever used the Roland Makeup Tools feature, you understand how far most other brands have to go to come close...

Each individual drum sound within the kit can adjust its volume, pitch, EQ, velocity response and all effects, and even be substituted with another sound (from that kit) or muted altogether.

I strongly urge you contact your manufacturer and demand editing this deep and yet easy to perform... it would be a shame to let this amazing feature die out altogether. Yamaha have happily adopted Roland’s Chord Sequencer, this should be next on their list!

#502353 - 02/28/21 01:38 PM Re: Yamaha psr sx900 drum part change [Re: Diki]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By Diki
If anyone has ever used the Roland Makeup Tools feature, you understand how far most other brands have to go to come close...

Each individual drum sound within the kit can adjust its volume, pitch, EQ, velocity response and all effects, and even be substituted with another sound (from that kit) or muted altogether.

I strongly urge you contact your manufacturer and demand editing this deep and yet easy to perform... it would be a shame to let this amazing feature die out altogether. Yamaha have happily adopted Roland’s Chord Sequencer, this should be next on their list!

It took Yamaha soooo long to add a chord sequencer though!

I wonder if the editing features you speak of could be a patent issue?
Either way, I have a feeling most arranger players don’t want to dig that deep.

Edited by montunoman (02/28/21 04:15 PM)

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#502356 - 02/28/21 02:21 PM Re: Yamaha psr sx900 drum part change [Re: Guardman2001]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It has been a popular part of the Roland OS since first introduced (I think the G70, but not 100% sure), so apparently many didn’t mind digging that deep!

But, as this thread shows, apparently some people need it!

The whole thing about simple but deep header editing is that the easier the keyboard makes it, the more likely you are to use it! It takes me maybe 10 minutes to turn a pretty excremental legacy style into something that possibly betters the ROM styles. And most of that revolves around tweaking the drum kit to best use the modern velocity switched drum sounds. On Korg’s this is a nightmare, as there is no header editing, each Division must be edited separately to do something as simple as adding a bit of velocity to a snare drum part. That’s up to 15 operations to do something that takes one in a Roland. And apparently can’t be done at all in a Yamaha’s header editor.

It is one of the main reasons I stuck with Roland’s forever. I rarely find a style or SMF perfect out of the box, but hate spending all day tweaking it or not being able to tweak at all. I guess it’s just one of those things that, until you’ve used it, you don’t realize how easy it can be!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online