SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#502061 - 01/22/21 12:31 PM New Yamaha digital piano arranger DGX670
vbdx66 Offline

Loc: France
Hello everybody,

This new Yamaha DGX670 looks like a much welcome upgrade to the DGX660, more in line with the Korg Havian 30.
Here is a nice demo at NAMM by Gabriel Aldort:

https://youtu.be/Cj_RkMMqJBM

So what do think?

For me, the sounds, styles and features are are great improvement over my DGX650. I think the drums are using the samples of the Genos Revo drums. It was also about time that Yamaha put 4-variation styles and Super Articulation voices in their DGX line.

Comments welcome.

Edited by vbdx66 (01/22/21 12:33 PM)

#502063 - 01/22/21 02:30 PM Re: New Yamaha digital piano arranger DGX670 [Re: vbdx66]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think that a basic 88 controller and then something like an SX900 (or whatever arranger you can afford) might be the better way to go. For some mad reason, it always seems like there is an unwritten law that any arranger shoehorned into an 88 MUST be far inferior to those with plastic keyboards...

#502064 - 01/23/21 04:06 AM Re: New Yamaha digital piano arranger DGX670 [Re: vbdx66]
Crossover Offline

Depends on what is important to you. The DGX piano samples have evolved in parallel to those of the P 115/125. While the DGX 630 had a terrible piano sound with one velocity layer, this has much improved since the 650. In view of the price level, it should be obvious that it can‘t offer everything else the SX900 has. If you are mainly interested in piano including weighted keys, it‘s an interesting package, otherwise probably not.

#502065 - 01/23/21 03:07 PM Re: New Yamaha digital piano arranger DGX670 [Re: vbdx66]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I think it sounds great , but there a few things I’d miss that my Korg Havian has like the chord looper which FANTASTIC for practicing! Also only one intro and ending would be a turn off too. If I just needed a good piano sound and feel with some built in rhythms it would be a very nice package. But the two things it lacks for my personal needs make it not so attractive. Of course your needs could be quite different.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#502066 - 01/23/21 06:29 PM Re: New Yamaha digital piano arranger DGX670 [Re: vbdx66]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yep. If you want to play properly pianistically, that chord sequencer is the answer. As good as they are, you still can get some fairly uneven tracking when arrangers are triggered by proper piano playing.

The trick is to play the head a bit simply the first time to get the basic chords into the chord sequencer, then let it take over playing the arranger and jam your head off without worrying about passing notes and substitute chords freaking out the chord recognition...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online