SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#501618 - 11/28/20 01:30 PM Theatre Organ Medley ‘That’s Entertainment’
MusicalMemories Offline

Loc: Arbroath,Angus,Scotland
A new recording from me on my Korg Pa700.

This time a Theatre Organ Medley including ‘That’s Entertainment’.

Hope you enjoy it.

I’d love a few more subscribers on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/LXSH8Jxuw4Y

#501620 - 11/28/20 03:54 PM Re: Theatre Organ Medley ‘That’s Entertainment’ [Re: MusicalMemories]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Some happy holiday memories there!

Is that a Korg sound for the organ? Sounds good...

If I could offer a hair of arrangement suggestion, perhaps I’d suggest a change of registration between sections, especially middle eights, etc.. Going from the tibias and grand swell to something like flutes gives a whole extra dimension to the arrangement and breaks it up into digestible pieces! I can hear a slight change, but I think I’d go a lot more if I was shooting for the whole cinema organ experience. The best of them made much use of the different manuals and ranks to shade and orchestrate the arrangement. I’d love to hear more of that!

But even so, I was a kid on Clacton Pier all over again! Great to hear the sound of the Mighty Wurlitzer one more time! 😎🎹🎪

#501626 - 11/29/20 12:35 AM Re: Theatre Organ Medley ‘That’s Entertainment’ [Re: MusicalMemories]
MusicalMemories Offline

They are the Reg Rawlings Theatre Organ Samples.

Thanks for the feedback it’s the first recording with these sounds so kind of a learning experiment.

#501629 - 11/29/20 11:55 AM Re: Theatre Organ Medley ‘That’s Entertainment’ [Re: MusicalMemories]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
From how you play, I expect you have at least a few Reginald Dixon albums!

It might be worth listening to a few medleys and note how often he changes ranks and manuals. A theater organ on full swell can get pretty fatiguing after a section or so! They really were invented to replace a theater orchestra, so make full use of each section, play colors off each other...

That’s really the fun with the arranger. You really aren’t just a player any more. You are the maestro of your own orchestra! Give some of them a rest from time to time, feature some of the harder to hear instruments, mix and match different colors. It’s so much fun..!

#501632 - 11/29/20 02:43 PM Re: Theatre Organ Medley ‘That’s Entertainment’ [Re: Diki]
MusicalMemories Offline

I’ve never actually played theatre organ before but wanted to use the samples in a recording there are other samples in the set.

But as to other content and styles I end up remixing, editing and eq’ing the different tracks of styles and the same for the lower and upper sounds. If a styles to busy I might mute a track.

Some tracks in styles can really drown others out.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online