SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#501571 - 11/24/20 10:47 AM Sx900 Playlist and Regs.
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lovFBbQU...edCUoNeGdhtqNoQ

Donny posted this video on another forum. The demo is exactly what I am doing with my Sx900.

1-One reg per song
2-Exactly what is on the video. Not on every song, only the ones I love.
John C.

#501577 - 11/25/20 02:42 AM Re: Sx900 Playlist and Regs. [Re: bruno123]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Even though I use one reg per song on the SX900 and Pa4X, I can see the benefit of combining different variations in a playlist per the video. Speaking for myself however, I don't see myself going through that much work for one song. Different perspectives I guess.

Bernie

#501579 - 11/25/20 03:52 AM Re: Sx900 Playlist and Regs. [Re: Bernie9]

Bernie, there is no CORRECT way, just different opinions. I appreciate your views; I was closer to them when I played out.
Thanks for reading, John C.

PS, you should see the way I have my keyboard set up --- iPad, Laptop, mouse pad, and a 22” momtor. There are days when I change the whole system. And I made bench that it all sits on.

When I look over my shoulder, I see my daughter, and three sons that are the same. And a father who made all his own furniture, work with stained glass. If his car got into a fender-bender, he repaired the damage, then painted it; all in his garage.

#501588 - 11/26/20 09:31 AM Re: Sx900 Playlist and Regs. [Re: bruno123]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I have always worked with a ‘one song per registration’ system ever since keyboards were capable of it.

Yes, it seems like a lot of work at first, but what you are negating is ANY work during the playing of the song! I feel that 100% of your concentration and effort should go into the MUSIC and the audience when you play, not one iota of effort in pushing buttons to select sounds or styles, effects, whatever.

Lately I’ve even gone ‘one registration per section’ on songs that need a change of sounds, effects, mix, whatever during the song. From comping to solo with one button press allows me to keep playing with virtually no interruption in flow...

In the end, what we are making is MUSIC. Why bring any other considerations into the mix when we don’t HAVE to?! That work setting it all up is work we don’t have to do on the gig. 🎹😎🎹

#501595 - 11/26/20 03:31 PM Re: Sx900 Playlist and Regs. [Re: bruno123]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Perfectly sensible. I tend to use one registration bank per song, but for genres such as quickstep, ballroom waltz where I may do a medley or not depending on audience response I do have mu!ti-song registrations.

So as ever, do whatever suits you best.

The only other thing I can add is that I'm finding the SX900 touch screen makes registry editing and saving a joy compared to my Tyros 3. I'm happy to allow Korg PA owners a smug grin at this point!

#501596 - 11/26/20 05:03 PM Re: Sx900 Playlist and Regs. [Re: MacAllcock]

Wow, isn’t it wonderful that we are not all the same. I have an artistic nature, drawing and painting classes, woodworking – making my own keyboard stand and more. I enjoy taking my favorite songs and adding with I hear in my head.

The video shows how a song can be brought to another level. Try playing like Count Basie with one reg. Boring!

Only my opinion, John C.
PS, do you have something better to do during this lock-down?

#501605 - 11/27/20 09:16 AM Re: Sx900 Playlist and Regs. [Re: bruno123]
Diki Offline

To a certain extent, there’s a difference between playing at home for your personal enjoyment, and professionally gigging for a venue. At home, there’s no time constraint between songs, or even between sections, there’s a cushion to allow a fair bit of faffing about.

On the gig, not so much. Perhaps not the same degree of experimentation pays off unless expectations are pretty low! This is really where the setup in advance pays off. Of course, you aren’t completely locked in, if you can change lead sounds on a whim without it being apparent, sure, go for it! But the setup in advance system at least gives you a fallback position, somewhere you know works.

Both systems work, just IMHO some work better in certain situations....

#501610 - 11/28/20 02:24 AM Re: Sx900 Playlist and Regs. [Re: bruno123]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I never leave home without everything being pre-planned. as far as song structure is concerned, with multiple lead choices. However, I try and have plenty of songs in different genres to satisfy varying audiences in my playlists.

#501614 - 11/28/20 09:20 AM Re: Sx900 Playlist and Regs. [Re: Bernie9]

I was fortunate to watch one of our members put on a show, using regs. He planed at home, then put it into the keyboard.

The type of music has a lot to do with how the keyboard is set-up. Mack the knife Bobby Darin; (old great song) had volume changes, instruments changed, tempo SLIGHTLY changed, and so did the excitement. Bobby Darin changes keys 3 or 4 times. This cannot be done with one reg, or even three regs.

I use one regs with many of my songs. The Kn7000 was set-up one song, oe reg, I did not use a complete bank often.

Even back then there were Kn7000 players that used complete bank per song, I thought that was crazy.

Times change, music changes, and all of it is beautiful.
John C.

#501616 - 11/28/20 11:05 AM Re: Sx900 Playlist and Regs. [Re: bruno123]
Diki Offline

Particularly if you don’t sing, multiple changes of leads and comps is pretty much how you give variety and interest to a song. In fact, that’s the source of the name of our type of keyboard... the ‘Arranger’!

An arrangement is simply the term for taking a melody and chords, and making it more than a simple, boring, one sided recitation. Sure, with great skill and expression, you can play a song with one sound and one basic backing and make it work. But it takes a LOT less skill to make something that changes every eight or sixteen bars to a different texture.

But arrangers don’t make it that easy to be constantly changing stuff AND playing well. That’s a lot of buttons to push, interrupting your playing and disrupting your flow. And that’s where doing multiple things with one button push (or even better, a foot pedal press!) makes it easy. The sky’s the limit once you plan things out and reduce it all to that one press!

Next time you listen to an instrumental arrangement of a popular song, just sit there and make a mark every time the lead or the backing or the counter-melody changes. You’ll be amazed!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online