SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#49985 - 06/19/03 05:53 AM Re: A Strange Fix
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I still don't know why you have to unzip to a folder, and then copy to a disk. That is one uneccessary step

On my desktop I click on the zipped folder that contains the songs, The extraction wizard appears, and gives me the option to extract to a directory. I click browse and choose "A" and the files are unzipped directly to a floppy. This eliminates the "copy" or move "step" I never had a problem extracting zipped files directly to a floppy. I can even change the file name ( number)on a floppy using the method described above

And...

If you want to save these files on your computer, it is better to save the zipped format, as it is compressed and takes up less room on your hard drive. No need to save unzipped files.

Less work and more space...I'm for that
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#49986 - 06/19/03 06:21 AM Re: A Strange Fix
Sandgroper Offline

Loc: Busselton, Western Australia
Hi people
I just remembered something from a few years, or so,back in the days when the Technplus Webclub site had free style disk downloads (Yea, I know, prehistory )I was using Winzip with the Wizard option on the settings. I had this terrible problem where the downloads would apparently come through all right, the files would show up on the computer, but the keyboard (KN3000) would not be able to see them.Lots of emails between self & Nick Thomas at Technote (very helpful bloke ) but all his suggestions came to nought. I finaly stumbled accross an article somewhere accidentally, which mentioned Winzip Classic. Jeez what's that, I thought, looked more closely at the Winzip toobar, found the Classic option, and BINGO!!!!!. No more problems. Its probably got nothing to do with any probs on this thread, but if you're haveing trouble unziping and your using the Wizard, it's worth a try.
regards to all
Eddie

[This message has been edited by Sandgroper (edited 06-19-2003).]

#49987 - 06/19/03 11:47 AM Re: A Strange Fix
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
Larry....the problem some of us seem to have is that when we download files as you explain our keyboards just do not recognise them and insist that the files are empty although the same keyboard recognises that the floppy is x% full, having previously been shown as empty before the files were put onto the disc. From what I have read on this and other threads there seem to various courses of action which for some but not for others. Wouldn't life be boring if everything was simple
Regards......Trevor

#49988 - 06/20/03 10:42 AM Re: A Strange Fix
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
Think I'd rather be bored than frustrated - maybe there would be more hair on my head..
I tried Larry's suggestion but it didn't work for me. I didn't even get the red ATTENTION screen with the Are you sure question, so I tried a known and trusy floppy and this proved the Kn is in working order.
This question about Winzip - I use AOL and this server provides an automatic zip/unzip function so the file should have been unzipped.
Oh the wonders of modern technology

Ogre

#49989 - 06/20/03 04:25 PM Re: A Strange Fix
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Eddie's right, the easiest way is to use the 'Classic' option on Winzip and just Unzip directly to A:\ and save your Zipped version to your Archive folder, wherever it may be.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#49990 - 06/20/03 05:56 PM Re: A Strange Fix
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Larry, of course you can unzip to drive a:. I asked if Ogre downloaded a zip file to a: drive without unzipping it first. I download to my HD first because of the number of zips I get, and it may be months before I get a chance to look at the file. I too, had a problem with WinZip's wizard and changed back to the classic form with no problems since. Usually, when someone has a problem with zipped files, it's just that they are unfamiliar with Winzip, and when they learn the technique, no more problems.

#49991 - 06/20/03 06:56 PM Re: A Strange Fix
lahawk Offline

Sorry Bud, I misunderstood your post.
I believe part of the problem with all of this saving and renaming is everybody has their own system that works for them and not everybody is working with the same software or operating system
I have found Windows XP, which I have had now for 1 1/2 years, really took the guess work out of many applications and
the Extraction Wizard being a good example.
I have never had a problem with Windows XP Extraction Wizard. Maybe other members have a problem, because they have a different type of system, which requires a different type of action.
We're all trying to help each other, but it's hard to tell you how to fix a 98 Chevy, with a 2001 Ford manual. But we can try and that's what makes this a great forum.

SeeYa
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#49992 - 06/21/03 06:26 AM Re: A Strange Fix
lahawk Offline

ogre,
Can you send me the files(s) that will not load in your 7000? Do you remember who sequenced them? Maybe some other members would also take a look at them. I'm curious as to why they don't work for you.

Thanks
Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#49993 - 06/21/03 11:32 AM Re: A Strange Fix
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Larry and everyone,

You might have guessed by now that I'm pc technically illiterate but despite being such a dimwit I seem to have solved my particular problem altho I can see from above comments that there are better ways of doing it. I am on aol and this automatically zips/unzips attachments. Well so I thought. I transferred the song "files" which the aol system unzipped ( they seem to use a system called dynazip)onto floppy and this didn't work on the keyboard. So I put the floppy back in the pc, and this time, using winzip, unzipped the "file" and this produced a number of other "files" which I then put on another floppy which played successfully in the Kn7. Perhaps if I'd learnt the difference between a file and a folder beforehand........... anyway like trevorjohn I'm now one very happy bunny and thanks to all you kind folk for coming to the rescue, and for the music donated. There are some very good musicians among you all.

Ogre

#49994 - 06/21/03 07:59 PM Re: A Strange Fix
Sparky Offline

Loc: lewiston maine usa
It might be worth a try to download a file that dont seem to be recognized by the kn?? using another browser other than internet explorer. Thinking that in the saving process windows or Iexplorer is saving it in a bad way? messing it up maybe? there are many free browsers. Another thought that comes to mind which most people can't utilize is what would be the alternative result if any using another operating system besides windows. Like Lenux I think its called. I know its not one that will surely get tried but maybe someone has something besides windows???????
Tony

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online