SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#499825 - 07/08/20 11:49 AM R.I.P. Joe Pocaro (seesion drummer and teacher)
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
In 1987-88, I had the privileged to study drums with Joe Pocaro (father of Jeff, Mike, and Steve, best known for their work with Toto)
He was a great teacher, full of encouraging and positive vibes. His primary focus as a drum teacher was taking the basic snare drum rudiments and applying them to the full kit in jazz, rock, and Latin styles. I still have a thick book that he wrote, full of my notes from the lessons that I still work out of. Very classy guy, kind and modest. He died peacefully at the age of 90.

Here's a short bio:

Porcaro recorded with Natalie Cole, Don Ellis, Stan Getz, Freddie Hubbard, Gladys Knight, Madonna, The Monkees, Gerry Mulligan, Pink Floyd, Howard Roberts, Frank Sinatra, Nancy Sinatra, and Sarah Vaughan. He performed film scores with James Newton Howard, John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, Danny Elfman, John Frizzell and his son Steve Porcaro. With educator and drummer Ralph Humphrey, he was one of the founders of the Los Angeles Music Academy (LAMA) in Pasadena, California, which is now called the Los Angeles College of Music (LACM).

His three sons were in the rock band Toto: drummer Jeff Porcaro (1954ā€“1992), bassist Mike Porcaro (1955ā€“2015), and keyboardist Steve Porcaro (b. 1957), who still is a session musician and programmer. Joe contributed additional percussion to every Toto album from Turn Back through Kingdom of Desire. He has a daughter, Joleen Porcaro Duddy (actress and designer), whose children, Chase and Paige Duddy, formed the electronic duo XYLO.

Porcaro led a group with Emil Richards, a native of Hartford who plays vibraphone and collects percussion instruments from around the world.[1]

He died, aged 90, on July 6, 2020.[2]

Here he is performing at age 85 with his life long friend Emil Richards on vibes.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#499826 - 07/08/20 11:59 AM Re: R.I.P. Joe Pocaro (seesion drummer and teacher) [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

Here's a very short segment of Joe reminiscing about his career. Pretty impressive roaster clients that used his services: Sinatra, Pink Floyd, Toto, Barbara Streisand, Mission Possible, Hawaii 5-O ...... Not to mention all the things his sons did in the music business! What a lagacy he left behind!

Edited by montunoman (07/08/20 12:00 PM)

#499832 - 07/08/20 04:32 PM Re: R.I.P. Joe Pocaro (seesion drummer and teacher) [Re: montunoman]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Sounds like he had a great career and some amazing sons. RIP

#499834 - 07/08/20 08:07 PM Re: R.I.P. Joe Pocaro (seesion drummer and teacher) [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis

Yes, but its allways sad to read he survived 2 of his sons..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#499835 - 07/08/20 09:38 PM Re: R.I.P. Joe Pocaro (seesion drummer and teacher) [Re: montunoman]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I am so very sad. Joe is a legendary musician

#499838 - 07/09/20 07:27 AM Re: R.I.P. Joe Pocaro (seesion drummer and teacher) [Re: montunoman]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Paul,
It was nice that you knew the legendary Joe Pocaro. What he taught you will live forever. RIP Joe

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

ā™« šŸŽ¹šŸŽ¹ ā™« SX-900

#499841 - 07/09/20 09:41 AM Re: R.I.P. Joe Pocaro (seesion drummer and teacher) [Re: Bachus]
montunoman Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis

Yes, but its allesus sad to read he survived 2 of his sons..

It most of given Joe lots of satisfaction that his sons followed his footsteps and had very successful careers but still outliving your child is such a heavy burden for any patent.

#499842 - 07/09/20 09:44 AM Re: R.I.P. Joe Pocaro (seesion drummer and teacher) [Re: lahawk]
montunoman Offline

Originally Posted By lahawk
Paul,
It was nice that you knew the legendary Joe Pocaro. What he taught you will live forever. RIP Joe

Yes Larry, Iā€™m so glad to have known him for a short period of time, and he had such an impact on me and of course so many other drummers that studied with him. Iā€™m glad I can now pass on his teaching to my students.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online