SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4998 - 11/04/02 03:39 AM sample exchange network
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Would anyone be interested in setting up a sample exchange network? Basically, my idea goes like this... I have a few sample CDs. Maybe you have too. Maybe lots of people have!

Well... just maybe I have some samples that you'd like. And maybe you have some that you don't have any use for at this point in time, but that other people would like. Instead of us all getting bored with the same tired old samples, how about sharing them via the net?

#4999 - 11/04/02 11:17 AM Re: sample exchange network
tekminus Offline

I only have one sample cd; the first X-Static Goldmine double cd. It has all the drums I need (the old Rolands).

I don't use samples that much. I used to be real creative and record voices off of radio and mess with those. Maybe I should pick that up again.

How would you share the samples? Some sort of fileshare?

-tek

#5000 - 11/06/02 04:45 AM Re: sample exchange network
Equalizer Offline

Well... what I propose is some sort of site upload.

It's very easy to get a hold of some free webspace from places like angelfire.com, so all that would need to happen is I upload some stuff to the Net, and then you upload some stuff to the Net and that's pretty much all there is to it.

As is happens, drums are the one thing that I'm really struggling with. What kind of drums are they anyway?

#5001 - 11/06/02 07:51 AM Re: sample exchange network
tekminus Offline

None of those fancy schmancy drumkits they sample and put on cds these days It's got all the famous Roland beatboxes sampled. Both the individual sounds and some loops. There's tons of off-the-record snippets. There's other novelty crap too, but that's hardly usable. Who need a vocoded baby going "ah yeah"?

-tek

#5002 - 11/06/02 03:12 PM Re: sample exchange network
Equalizer Offline

Tek,
with all due respect, I'm not sure if it's something I'd be interested in.

Drum wise, I'm more into using loops than synthesized drum hits.

An example of a song which I think has great drumming in it would be the JXL Vs Elvis version of "a little less conversation". To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how the drums on that track were put together. I'm believe loops would have been used, but I'm not sure how you're meant to create good and varied drum fills when all you have to go with is one drum loop at a certain tempo (how do you make the fills match your loop?).

Maybe I should do a post asking for some tips on how to put down good drum tracks.

#5003 - 11/07/02 12:18 AM Re: sample exchange network
MRT1212 Offline

Loc: Foster City
so you wanna pirate samples

#5004 - 11/07/02 11:23 AM Re: sample exchange network
Equalizer Offline

FAO- Ned Flanders-

Yes. Absolutely! ...And on a grand scale.

But the real question is what are you gonna do about it you self righteous smug little phuck?

#5005 - 11/08/02 03:10 AM Re: sample exchange network
Jiddu Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by tekminus:
Who need a vocoded baby going "ah yeah"?

you have that? ive been looking everywhere!

EQ:
If you wanna create good ( and original ) drum tracks your really going to have to sequence them urself.. which means using single shot drum samples.

I suggest you start with a 16 step sequencer then move into full blown midi sequencing drum beats with a sampler (soft or hard, whichever way you like it )..
It might be hard to start but keep up the effort and you will definitely notice improvement..
If anybody knows an easier route then please fill me in cos thats the way im going.. i'd ditch redrum totally if I found out a way to assign effects to individual samples in battery.. anyone know?

PS. Dont be too hard on mrt.. he's just a girl hehe jus playin..
PPS. Ive no beef with 16 step sequencers.. just moving to realler sounding drum tracks

#5006 - 11/08/02 03:13 AM Re: sample exchange network
Jiddu Offline

Loc: Australia
wow three smiley faces? what was I on?

..I've done it again havent I

#5007 - 11/08/02 04:25 AM Re: sample exchange network
tekminus Offline

I also noticed my typo in "need", should be "needs".

/me goes to commit ritualistic suicide

#5008 - 11/09/02 04:18 AM Re: sample exchange network
Equalizer Offline

Thanks for that interesting response Jiddu.

I've got a question or two on my mind at this point.

I mean... it seems that if guys like us want to create drum tracks that we've got a choice which is to either use loops, or to use midi driven sequencing (a hit at a time, like you say). We can of course use a mixture of these two methods, perhaps using loops for the main beat and using sequenced sample hits for fills and variations.

My question is this... what method do you think guys like William Orbit, Moby or that JXL dude (the guy who did the Elvis tune recently) use?

Do you think they're using loops, sequenced hits or a mixture?

#5009 - 11/09/02 06:07 AM Re: sample exchange network
tekminus Offline

Depends on what source you're going to use. like loops for a remix, but I think sequencing AKAI samplers is Orbit's main thing. He's a big fan of Akai samplers.

-tek

#5010 - 11/11/02 01:55 AM Re: sample exchange network
Equalizer Offline

Ok tek,
I read with interest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online