SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#49965 - 06/13/03 09:19 AM Re: A Strange Fix
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I can't go with the alphabetic theory - the files are only shown on your PC in alphabetical order, because that is the way that you have Windows Explorer configured. Try viewing the files in explorer and then at the top of the explorer window, you can see 4 pads labelled Name, Size, Type, Modified. If you left click on the 'Name' pad, you will see that the order of the file names changes from normal alphabetic to reverse alphabetic. Click on the 'Size' pad and again you will see the order change - click on Size again and the previous order will reverse. Click on 'Type' and you will then see all the file extensions in alphabetical order instead of the filename numbers. So the thing which decides the displayed order is Explorer. If you change the order of the display and then save the files to floppy disc, they will still play perfectly well on the KN7000

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#49966 - 06/13/03 11:27 AM Re: A Strange Fix
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
I have zipped and unzipped hundreds of music files and renumbered many of them to fit my requirements, and I can state with certainty that it does not matter if you start with 01 or 12, since the disk drive on the keyboard will only read 20 files at a time. If you have more than one file occupying one slot, when you delete the first 01, the second 01 file will magically appear. Sometimes when you zip or unzip a file with 20 songs in it, the computer will read a file from song 20 first, then continue on with all the others, in proper order. By hitting F5 on your computer's keyboard, you'll initiate an alphabetical sort and put the files back into their proper order. If you somehow fail to notice the extra file when you begin to renumber, you may end up out of sequence and the keyboard might have trouble reading the files. Just do it all over again to see if you may have introduced a little human error into the equation. BTW...when you zip up a music file, start by highlighting the last file first, then up to the first file. It will zip up in the proper order that way and unzip in the same order.

#49967 - 06/13/03 08:45 PM Re: A Strange Fix
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Larry,
I have renamed and renumbered hundreds of files using the keyboard (very slow), using windows Explorer or using a renaming/renumbering program such as CKRename. I have had absolutely no problems with any of the methods.
Just remember, you can not have more than one file starting with the same number. If you do, only the first file will be read. The second one will be invisible to the KN7000.
You said:
"After doing this, number 15 will show up on the 7000, but may not load, sometimes a message no file on 15 appears on the 7000 screen. However if I go into Disk Tools and hit the Delete button for 15, magically 15 is fixed and loads and plays."

Is it possible that there already was a file on 15, but without a name? If so, this would explain the whole thing. When you went to Disk Tools and deleted 15, you removed the un-named file which allowed the KN7000 to read the desired file.

I would strongly recomend using the program CKRename. It was recommended by Technics Player some time ago, is free, and works like a charm.
Go to: http://www.musicsucks.com/CKSoft/CKRename/

I think that you will like it.
Regards
Walt

#49968 - 06/14/03 08:01 AM Re: A Strange Fix
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Walt,
I did download CKRename, I thank you for that link and I do think it may help. When you rename with CKRename do you use the replace function, or do you rename another way. CKRename gives quite a few options on renaming.

I'll try to expain my problem with changing names in Windows.

If I have 2 songs both numbered 01 and try to change one of the them to 15. 15 will show on the disk screen on the 7000, but will not load.(the file you tried to load is empty) If I go into Disk Tools and hit the DEL button for 15, it repairs 15 so that it now loads and plays.

So what I need to know is, what exactly is the 7000 repairing on song 15 so that it loads and plays ? Obviously something is wrong in the renaming process, the 7000 knows that, because the 7000 corrects it, trouble is..I would like to know too.

Hope my problem is clear.
Thanks all for your help
Larry Hawk

[This message has been edited by lahawk (edited 06-14-2003).]

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#49969 - 06/14/03 10:38 AM Re: A Strange Fix
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
HI ALL,
I use a program developed by one of our forum members that takes up to 20 files, renumbers them and will then send them from your hard drive to the A floppy drive. It is easy to use and seems to be fool proof. The zip file was about 2 mgs to download it. The file was developed by kerstwim@wish.net
for our exclusive use. I am sure that many of you already have it. I think the rest of you new people might want to get it.
The name of the file is Technics Copy Utility.
Wim is no longer on my email list but may still be alive and well at the above address. Suggest you ask him if the file is still available and if you can have a copy of it. He had a kn6000 at last report.
WIM WHERE ARE YOU?
Thanks again to Wim for this utility. I use it for all files for the Technics.
Best to all
Bebop

#49970 - 06/14/03 12:42 PM Re: A Strange Fix
lahawk Offline

Bebop I believe I found the site your refering to, hope so anyway:
http://home.wanadoo.nl/wimkersten/

I'm going to give it a try, and thanks for the tip.

Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#49971 - 06/14/03 05:32 PM Re: A Strange Fix
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Larry,
RE: CKRename:
Let's suppose that you have two or three files starting with 01. High-light only the relevant files that you want to renumber. In the lower right hand corner, under "String Substitution", type 01 after "Replace:" and type XX after "With:" (where XX is the desired number to change to, usually the next available empty file spot on the disk). Then hi-light the next group to change, ETC.
This will change only the leading file numbers and leave the rest of the file name alone.
Have Fun,
Walt

[This message has been edited by Walt Meyer (edited 06-14-2003).]

#49972 - 06/15/03 02:02 PM Re: A Strange Fix
lahawk Offline

Thanks Walt, CKRename seems to do the job, thanks for that tip and as usual, thanks to all for their help. This place is amazing.

Larry Hawk

[This message has been edited by lahawk (edited 06-15-2003).]

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#49973 - 06/16/03 06:10 AM Re: A Strange Fix
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
As usual I'm more than a little confused,after reading all the above.
I've just replaced a duff FDD and now have some 20 odd song files from Bebop to download. After downloading one zip file to floppy when I try to download the next file using the same floppy all the previously downloaded songs are overwritten. How do I overcome this? Normally I only need to download one or two zip files onto separate floppies and I then use the KN7 to transfer songs from the 2nd etc floppy to the first floppy until I build up to the max of 20 songs on each floppy, but using this method with all those glorious songs to separate floppies and repeating the excercise on the KN is a bit tedious. Help

Ogre :confused

#49974 - 06/16/03 02:54 PM Re: A Strange Fix
lahawk Offline

Ogre,
Try unzipping all 20 to a folder somewhere, then open the folder and start renaming either using CKRename or Windows Explorer. If using Windows highlight the files you want to rename, by holdng the Ctrl key and Left mouse click (highlight) the files to rename. Click File > Rename... or Right Click Mouse > Rename.
Change the number (example 01 to 12)of one of the highlighted files. All highlighted files will be Renamed or Renumbered at once to 12 . When finished renaming all 20 Click File > Select All > Sent To > Floppy

If by chance you load the disk on your 7000 and try to play song 12 and you get the message "the file you tried to load is empty" then you have to go to "Disk Tools" find the song that will not load, and click "DEL" (ONCE !) A warning "Are yor sure ?" > YES > The 7000 will then read the so called empty files and it will load and play...Hitting the DEL button once repairs a file if repairable . Hitting the DEL button a second time and it's bye-bye song.

I'm not sure why your files are "over writing" each other on a floppy. You should be able to download up to twenty 01's and then rename, in a folder, or a floppy. Maybe someone else has an answer for that.

Anyway, it seems like this renaming of Technic files is a bit of a problem for some, while others have no worries. Such is life.

Larry Hawk

[This message has been edited by lahawk (edited 06-16-2003).]

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online