SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#49955 - 06/12/03 12:58 PM A Strange Fix
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
When Bebop sends all these songs out and I want to put them all on one floppy, I have to change the numbered sequence so that number one does not erase number one that may already be on the disk.
In other words if there are 2 files both number 1, I will re name one of the files to say...15. After doing this, number 15 will show up on the 7000, but may not load, sometimes a message no file on 15 appears on the 7000 screen. However if I go into Disk Tools and hit the Delete button for 15, magically 15 is fixed and loads and plays.

Finally... my question:
What is the proper way to rename identical numerical files so that they will all load on the 7000, and does anyone know why the DEL button in Disk tools repairs a corrupt file ?

Thanks
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#49956 - 06/12/03 02:38 PM Re: A Strange Fix
Sparky Offline

Loc: lewiston maine usa
I can give you an educated guess on part of your question.
I think that if the file does not appear in the load page than the kn does not recognize a good file. But it does in delete menu. which then helps it to recognize it? the kn's ncan have trouble reading disks. Its in my opinion a bug with kns and not bad disks. something is not quite right in the disk drives or something.
Tony

#49957 - 06/12/03 04:06 PM Re: A Strange Fix
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
The easiest way to rename the files is to use a free program named "CKRename". Just go to Google and search for CKRename to find a download site.
Walt

#49958 - 06/12/03 05:33 PM Re: A Strange Fix
lahawk Offline

I also notice that files that load with no problems are listed in this exact order :

1 .ACT
2 .CMP
3 .EFM
4 .LSW
5 .MSP
6 .PMT
7 .SQT
8 .TM

So am I to assume if they are not listed on the floppy in the above exact order, that the 7000 will not read it ?
because...
If I try to rename the songs in windows(xp) the order is not the same as before renaming. What happens to me is after renaming the song the .ACT file is not listed first, rather last, and the above order is mixed.

I guess I'll try CKRename as Walt suggests

Thanks
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#49959 - 06/12/03 06:10 PM Re: A Strange Fix
Sparky Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lahawk:
[B]
I also notice that files that load with no problems are listed in this exact order :

1 .ACT
2 .CMP
3 .EFM
4 .LSW
5 .MSP
6 .PMT
7 .SQT
8 .TM

Thanks Larry. That is probably it! That exact order happens to be alphabetical order.
So if the machine looks for .act and gets to something else 1st it assumes it is not there, not being programs to look further than .cmp. being that the kn does not put it in any other order than alphabetical it is just that technics didn't make it more intelligent. they thought there was no cause. a windows scrambling of the order is to be blamed on microsoft. Sound right to you? Come to think of it, disks I had trouble with were put in my PC to add midi files. I see thats not a good thing to have midi AND tech files on one disk. Even though the order can be changed to correct it. If I add just one midid file on a disk the kn might read it 1st and not find .act.
Tony
Tony

#49960 - 06/13/03 02:26 AM Re: A Strange Fix
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I doubt if the actual order of the file components is relevant, since there are many combinations which could be present on a disc/card, depending on what parts are selected, during the save operation. I would expect that the operating system in the keyboards is sufficiently 'intelligent' to route the particular components to the required area in memory, based on the file extension.(.ACT, .SQT, .LSW)

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#49961 - 06/13/03 06:01 AM Re: A Strange Fix
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Further to my last posting, I have carried out some further investigations. I copied a set of files for KN7000 from my PC to a blank floppy disc as a normal group. When viewing the files on the floppy disc, using Windows Explorer, they were listed with the extensions in Alphabetical order, as expected. I then copied the same files, one at a time, in random order, to another blank floppy disc. When viewed on PC, they were again in alphabetical order of extension, as expected. The sort order is a function of Windows operating system, depending on how the user decides to display the data - by filename, file size, date etc. so the actual order in which the files are stored on disc, is not shown in Windows Explorer.
I then used a Disc Hex Editor to look at the files on the two discs and compared their relative positions. The individual parts of the group of files on the discs were seen to be in different positions on the two floppies. I then loaded each disc into the KN7000 checked the playback of the songs and there was no problem.
Therefore, I can only assume that the actual position or order of the files on a disc is irrelevant.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#49962 - 06/13/03 06:36 AM Re: A Strange Fix
lahawk Offline

Obviously, something wrong is happening in the renaming process with windows. All I do is change 01 to 08 (example)and the keyboard may not read 08.

It does seem to me that Sparky's alphabet therory is correct because all the original files are in alphabetical order, and as original stated, when the DEL button is clicked in Disk Tools, the file is possibly corrected alphabtically, and thus fixed

Bill, yes it's true, that there are many combinations that could be present on a disk, but I believe regardless of the combination, they still have to be listed alphabetically.

Try this experiment: Unzip a group of songs to a disk as sent by Bill. Go to another group of songs with the same numberical name, unzip, but rename the songs so that the number dosen't conflict with the songs already on a disk. When I do this, the file order is different after renaming. I can load the renamed songs on the disk,and they all show up numerically, but the 7000 will not read it because in my opinion, windows changed the correct order that the files should be in during the renaming process.

Thanks
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#49963 - 06/13/03 07:02 AM Re: A Strange Fix
lahawk Offline

to futher explain:

Before renaming song 01 to 08:
Song 01 is listed in this order
1- .CMP
2- .LSW
3- .MSP
4- .SEQ
5- .SQF
6- .TM

After renaming song 01 to 08
song 08 is listed in this order
1- .LSW
2- .SEQ
3- .SQF
4- .TM
5- .MSP
6- .CMP

When song 08 is added to a disk that has songs on it that were not renamed, only the renamed songs will not load. In my opinion, this is because, the order of the files is changed during the rename, and the 7000 can not decipher the difference.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#49964 - 06/13/03 08:27 AM Re: A Strange Fix
Sparky Offline

Try this then Larry. Do all the renaming on the 7000. Save 01 as 08 on the 7000 on a fresh disk. Then add the 08 files to the other disk you really want it on. A guess would be that if the 7000 remanes it instead, the 7000 will do it right.
maybe renaming in windows is the only problem. Maybe adding to disks after 1st renaming on the 7000 will solve it. You can load them individually on the 7000 and save them on a second disk after. one song at a time. but it will most like be okay that way. I hope. Let me know.
Tony

[This message has been edited by Sparky (edited 06-13-2003).]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online