SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#498607 - 06/12/20 05:42 AM Do you use Chord inversions?
Dnj Offline

#498633 - 06/12/20 10:53 AM Re: Do you use Chord inversions? [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
How can you play smoothly and not use inversions? The BK9 reads them perfectly

#498634 - 06/12/20 10:58 AM Re: Do you use Chord inversions? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I never found a need for them, probably because the older keyboards didn't recognize them. As for playing smoothly, the hold features takes care of that.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#498643 - 06/12/20 01:48 PM Re: Do you use Chord inversions? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I always use inversions..
No one finger chords for me.
Just a better flow.
My.02

#498646 - 06/12/20 02:04 PM Re: Do you use Chord inversions? [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
What are chord inversions?

#498647 - 06/12/20 02:06 PM Re: Do you use Chord inversions? [Re: Dnj]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I like what I am hearing. With my knowledge of chords and inversions, I can’t follow what he is doing, this is a first.
Help, anybody.
John C.

#498648 - 06/12/20 02:15 PM Re: Do you use Chord inversions? [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
What are chord inversions?

Just kidding OF COURSE ... I don't think I could play a song without using inversions ...
If someone is playing 50s Doo Woo 4 chords - I vi IV V in the key of C, the easiest way by far is through the use of inversions ...

#498650 - 06/12/20 02:47 PM Re: Do you use Chord inversions? [Re: Dnj]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
You bet!
Once I learned that you could often play the next chord in a progression without moving your whole hand, that was huge!

Then I learned about on bass ("slash") chords, and how much better some pop songs sounded when the specified chord was accompanied by the authentic bass note. Definitely more difficult to play most or all chords in their proper inversion, but it makes a huge difference in the sound.

So to make things easier, I figured out a way to make the bass inversion control a "momentary" function triggered by a foot switch. This approach works great for songs where most chords use the root as their bass (and thus could be played in whichever inversion is comfortable.) But there might be one or two "signature" chords that have an altered bass. Press the pedal, play the altered chord, and then release the pedal before the next chord. I got this working pretty well on my Roland BK's; I'm pretty sure I could get it to work on a Korg too. Why the manufacturers didn't provide a "momentary" option from the factory, I don't know. Anyhow, that's my story with inversions.

#498651 - 06/12/20 02:57 PM Re: Do you use Chord inversions? [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
If you learn to play organ, inversions is what you learn from the off, (As you progress you also start doing it with the right hand as well) bass is no problem as you play it with your feet, so you are not stuck with root notes. (This is why you seldom see organ players left hands jumping all over the place as they control it, rather than having to adapt to what the auto backing allows)

Bill

#498657 - 06/12/20 04:42 PM Re: Do you use Chord inversions? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Learn what this fella is trying to explain, and you will become a better arranger player.

I never turn bass inversion off when in arranger mode.. no need to..

And when I play arranger mode, I also switch off and play manual bass in spots.. G70 I designate the control buttons for this.. The Prelude has single dedicated button to switch off arranger and play manual bass with drums.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online