SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#498811 - 06/16/20 06:16 AM Re: Annoying Things People Say to Musicians [Re: Jerryghr]
Dnj Offline

keys

Attachments
104279166_10157512336463233_3546462777352820512_n.jpg

#498814 - 06/16/20 06:59 AM Re: Annoying Things People Say to Musicians [Re: Nigel]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By Nigel

That is funny and true. It has happened to me at the end of the night but more often in the middle of a set and you can'tend the conversation to ge back to the music. and when you do the request its amazing how many times the person is in the bathroom, outside, etc. Too funny.

#498815 - 06/16/20 07:11 AM Re: Annoying Things People Say to Musicians [Re: Jerryghr]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA

I had a "Danger - High Voltage" sign like that on my Bose towers to stop people from leaning against them as if they were a post to lean on. It was a great deterrent. But didn't stop everyone, especially the drunks.

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (06/16/20 07:13 AM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#498817 - 06/16/20 07:27 AM Re: Annoying Things People Say to Musicians [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy

I had a "Danger - High Voltage" sign like that on my Bose towers to stop people from leaning against them as if they were a post to lean on. It was a great deterrent. But didn't stop everyone, especially the drunks.

Gary cool

Ahh yes the downside of line array speakers lol

#498820 - 06/16/20 07:37 AM Re: Annoying Things People Say to Musicians [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bill Lewis Offline

Dave
I agree and have said many times the nicer the place the worse you are viewed and treated.
However I find it insulting to call myself a "servant" I'm not going to skulk around with my tail between my legs and take disrespecful behavior from anyone be it customer, club owner, CC manager ( biggest idiots by far closely followed by banquet managers ). I'll do whatever you want within reason but you gotta ask me nice.
Years ago with my trio we were regulars in a club in NJ. Owner was a "tough guy" with a lousy attitude who treated the bands there really bad. One day he started barking orders at us and he and my singer got into a screaming match in the middle of the dance floor ( you know in NJ mother is only half a word ) while me and the drummer were setting up. We reversed and started packing up thinking this is the end ! Well the singer made his point and from then on we were treated totally different, even being invited into the private back room to have some dinner with he and the "Boys"
I don't have an attitude but a pride in what I do and it has taken a lot of work to be able to do it. Someone says, "see that guy, he's a brain surgeon" and immdiatly he gets respect for his talents. Would you call him a servant of sick people ?
All anyone in any position wants is some respect and there's nothing wrong with expecting it.

Edited by Bill Lewis (06/16/20 07:38 AM)

#498825 - 06/16/20 08:54 AM Re: Annoying Things People Say to Musicians [Re: Bill Lewis]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Dave

However I find it insulting to call myself a "servant" I'm not going to skulk around with my tail between my legs and take disrespecful behavior from anyone be it customer, club owner, CC manager ( biggest idiots by far closely followed by banquet managers ). I'll do whatever you want within reason but you gotta ask me nice.

Yeah, that was pretty much my attitude as well. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't but I lived with it.

#498832 - 06/16/20 11:25 AM Re: Annoying Things People Say to Musicians [Re: Bill Lewis]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By Bill
I find it insulting to call myself a "servant" I'm not going to skulk around with my tail between my legs and take disrespectful behavior from anyone be it customer, club owner, CC manager ( biggest idiots by far closely followed by banquet managers

Well, I never encourage "skulking", and being a servant does not infer disrespect, nor should anyone have to endure that behavior. Generalizing or categorizing people is what has our nation in such an uproar right now. Now, more than ever it's paramount the we treat everyone with respect ... including servants, like myself. I prefer to just breathe, do my job, and be as nice as possible to everyone I meet. You don't have to receive respect to give it. It's better to just give it, whether you get it back, or not. That's a core teaching from the school I taught in for 10 years. They called it the "Jester's Jewel".

#498834 - 06/16/20 11:52 AM Re: Annoying Things People Say to Musicians [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Of course I didn't mean to lump all CC managers or Banquet managers together. But thats where I had the most "uncomfortable" situations. Stories could fill a book. Back to rule #1, the nicer the place the the worse you will be treated. Again, not always but enough that it made you keep your guard up when going there. One Banquet Hall I worked a lot over many years had the nicest considerate owners and it filtered down thru the staff. You could always tell the attitude at the top from the people who worked in a venue.
I too always try to do my best and act like a professional. The point of my little story was that sometimes , wheather proper or not, you have to stand up for yourself.

#498835 - 06/16/20 12:17 PM Re: Annoying Things People Say to Musicians [Re: Bill Lewis]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
The point of my little story was that sometimes , wheather proper or not, you have to stand up for yourself.

Absolutely. I worked for one owner who said "the customer's always right ... until they're wrong, and then they're DEAD friggin wrong!" Made me chuckle.

#498842 - 06/16/20 01:35 PM Re: Annoying Things People Say to Musicians [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Actually, I view myself as an independent contractor, no different than the guy I hired to redo our bathroom. I was not a servant to anyone, and never will be, well maybe other than my wife of 57 years. I'm the boss of my family and I have my wife's permission to say so! wink

I was hired as an independent contractor to do a job - to entertain the audiences in front of me, I did the job, here's your invoice, thank you very much and I hope to see you again next month.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online