SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#498999 - 06/19/20 05:00 AM Do you use speaker stands?
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I hate speaker stands, and when using either my Bose S1 or my standard EV 12" powered speakers, I just set them on the floor, or maybe elivate them a bit if there is a chair or something around, either in front or behind me, depending and the volume requirements.

I never see anybody else doing this though. Am I missing something?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#499001 - 06/19/20 05:22 AM Re: Do you use speaker stands? [Re: montunoman]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY

#499005 - 06/19/20 06:41 AM Re: Do you use speaker stands? [Re: montunoman]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
The artical Jerry posted explains it very well. If using regular speakers , stands are necessary. No one hated stands more than me. A pain to move, set up, get the speaker on/off, big footprint on small stages, danger of tripping.
I solved the problem with my linear PA the Eon Ones. I have a pair.One of the best investments I ever made in equipment. There are many others doing this type of PA now including Mackie who just jumped in. With 12", 10", 8" subs depending on how much power you want. Check them out. Not only do they sound better, give better dispersion, and to me much more clarity, but they pack up into themselves so are easy to move.

#499006 - 06/19/20 07:01 AM Re: Do you use speaker stands? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

I had 2 of the JBL eon one line array speakers I liked them
for a while until I heard 2 of the the RCF Jmix8, J8, system
that I purchased from Frank at Audioworks OMG !!
they blew them away big time.
Definitely the best pa system I have ever heard and used.
and you don't need to carry speaker stands.

https://www.rcf.it/products/product-detail/-/journal_content/56_INSTANCE_2MT9qNpeXdu4/20195/493250

#499008 - 06/19/20 07:07 AM Re: Do you use speaker stands? [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
[quote=Dnj]I had 2 of the JBL eon one line array speakers I liked them
for a while until I heard 2 of the the RCF Jmix8, J8, system
that I purchased from Frank at Audioworks OMG !!
they blew them away big time.
Definitely the best pa system I have ever heard and used.
and you don't need to carry speaker stands.

https://www.rcf.it/products/product-detail/-/journal_content/56_INSTANCE_2MT9qNpeXdu4/20195/493250
That one i haven't heard of, looks great. And with a 12" sub it should outpreform the JBL,s. But then you get more weight. Yamahas got a bigger one too. tempted to try the new Mackies. Still got a 10" sub but smaller/ lighter than the JBL's . Nah, who am I kidding, I'm not changing LOL!

#499011 - 06/19/20 07:31 AM Re: Do you use speaker stands? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Bill
RCF is one of the most respected Companies in the business.
and the onboard mixer is top pro quality also.
I also like the fact that unlike other line array units
the top speakers can rotate in any direction without
turning the sub. And the top speakers fits
In the Sub for transport also great design. wink

#499013 - 06/19/20 08:10 AM Re: Do you use speaker stands? [Re: montunoman]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I can happily recommend Alto TS310 to put on stands. Lightweight high power active and sound seriously good to my admittedly moderate hearing. Well worth an audition. Can confirm that RCF are pretty good as well.

#499017 - 06/19/20 09:18 AM Re: Do you use speaker stands? [Re: montunoman]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I stopped using speaker stands when I purchased my first Bose L1 PAS system. Never needed them after that and gave them away to a friend. A year later he purchased a Bose L1 PAS and gave them to a DJ. With most vertical array systems, speaker stands are totally useless because of the incredible sound distribution, both vertically and horizontally. Additionally, with just 10 percent falloff at 100 feet with the PAS system, that pretty much ended the use of conventional speakers on stands with a 50 percent falloff at 100 feet.

I did run across one guy that used an amp stand to place his Bose S1 upon, which kept it low enough to the floor for good bass and yet projected the high and mid sounds at a higher level. He later bought a pair of Bose L1 Compacts, and just used the S1 for living room parties.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#499022 - 06/19/20 10:05 AM Re: Do you use speaker stands? [Re: montunoman]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
It may appear that I contradict my friend Gary on just about everything smile

My opinions are based on real world experiences, meaning I use the gear the way I describe..

In recent topics I am in different corners than Gary..

He mentioned he tested in a store a battery powered speaker (.4 amp, that was most likely a Roland BA330).
He said after to minutes it would drop off.. I have used the BA330 on battery many times at a large volume (rated at 109db) for over 5 hours on gigs, and ten hours at home with a lower volume..

Like wise I use the Marantz on battery power (118db) with the same duration results.. Go figure smile

On the car battery issue, I believe Cold crank amps "matter" smile

And on this topic, I have had nothing but success with my powered speakers on the floor, and yes I like conventional speakers. grin

My big guns have been Roland Cubes for more than 35 years.. I used them in all situations.. Sure there are problem rooms that need adjustments, and I have always found a way to sound okay.

My old band preferred Pa speakers on poles (for the vocals, I always added a floor unit for keyboard to get the intended sound of a real band.).

I played rooms where you had to direct speakers in a direction, even to the point of bouncing off a wall behind a stage.

Naturally the most important thing is not to block the sound from any speaker, even array speakers. I use to have a couple cute girls stand in front of the speakers years ago, it was worth the trade off grin

The first thing you will notice when you pole a speaker, the user looks for an alternative to get that bass on the floor again... usually a sub woofer.

In 35 years I personally have never needed a sub woofer... Why because I use keyboard amps designed to use on the floor.

Some situations, I would pop off the rear wheels on my Cubes and it would tilt the speakers nearly perfect to project to the back of a crowded floor.. The Cubes are 3 way speakers,, the tweeter and horn projects well with the tilt and the woofer is where it belongs, on the floor.

So that is my real world experience.

#499038 - 06/19/20 11:46 AM Re: Do you use speaker stands? [Re: montunoman]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
I had a pair of Roland CM-30 cube monitors for a short while. They sounded muddy to me when I just set them on the floor. A little better if I angled them "up" or set them on a chair. Eventually I sold them because I don't gig and all my boards had built-in speakers.

When I bought my BK-9 "silent wonder" I also sprung for a CM-110 (two monitors and a subwoofer.) I didn't want to put shelves on the wall above my keyboard, so I invested in stands for the monitors. It makes for a cluttered look, but it sounds really good to my ears- even better several feet away in the room than it does when sitting at the keyboard! My $.02.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online