SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#498777 - 06/15/20 04:36 AM Re: Annoying Things People Say to Musicians [Re: Nigel]
Dnj Offline

Nigel that is so funny

thanx rotf2

#498785 - 06/15/20 12:34 PM Re: Annoying Things People Say to Musicians [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By montunoman
Originally Posted By bruno123
I had my share of the same annoying people. As the years went by I matured and learned what they were trying to do. Some just wanted to be important.

Yes, I'm sure we've all had to deal with annoying people, especially those that interrupt you to talk to you while you're playing/singing. As much as I hate it when people do that, I accept that i's going to happen, and I tend to think it just a way that some people actually show their appreciation and acknowledgement of your music.

On another somewhat related point, that's one reason I prefer style play over pre recorded/sequenced tracks when performing live. When someone has the need to speak to you while you are performing, you can at least just kind of vamp and stop singing if necessary.

Actually to most your a DJ in their eyes so coming up and talking no matter what your doing is normal to the majority of audiences in small gigs as you are on the floor at their level for easy access.......you'd have to be on a stage or in a concert venue to alleviate that...otherwise it's requests, chit chat, questions,drunks, drink spills, bumps, & annoyance all night long.

So true Donny. Not much you can do about it and I just kind of roll with it the best I can. I even played at very professional venues places with stages and people will still come up on stage to make request and chit chat...

Lately I've been thinking about putting some kind of rope like they use in the lines at movie theaters around the "stage" area. I don't like people getting in my face breathing on me these days!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#498786 - 06/15/20 02:05 PM Re: Annoying Things People Say to Musicians [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I've found that the higher priced the venue is, the more strict the requirements are. It's not a case of snobbery, because you can run into crabby people in any venue, but it seems the "higher ups" seem to have a more regulated lifestyle than many of us are used to. Every stage is different, and every region (location) as well. As a person in the service industry (and that's what show biz IS) we need to be ever mindful of the fact that we are actually servants. It's not demeaning in any way, in fact it's a privilege to serve others, and as soon as we forget that, we loose some connection to our clients.
Most musicians seem to think that the customers owe us something because we're "so talented", or that "we don't NEED this gig". I remind myself at each show that my clients are ALLOWING me to pursue my dream, engage in my passion, and earn a living at the same time ... all while (hopefully) bringing joy to them along the way.
We all had a pretty loud wake up call this year as we found out that we are NOT ESSENTIAL to the workforce, but we ARE essential to the well being of the soul, and the growth of the spirit. We need to be ever mindful of the role of the artist.
We put our heart and soul on the line and ask ... "Please accept this?" ... when that offer is accepted, it's a thing of beauty.

Don't let the small percentage of crabby patrons spoil your mission. Bring the music to the masses, check your ego at the door and cash the check when you're done. Music Business 101.

#498788 - 06/15/20 02:58 PM Re: Annoying Things People Say to Musicians [Re: Dnj]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Here's one that's really different it involved a family member. For a few years I had a regular gig an upscale assisted living facility, it's the same one my late mother was living in when she passed away. At the time about 10 years ago she was not living there during my monthly gigs. This particular facility had quite a few people who knew my mother from growing up in our old neighborhood that was just a few miles away. When one of the residents discovered who I was and who my mother was they asked next time you come to play have your mother come along, I'd like to see her.

So a month later I told my mother if you want come to Pocassett on Thursday night at 7, I'm playing there and your friend Josephine was asking to see you. She did show up and sat with her friend, they talked before I started playing.................and after 2 tunes they started talking and talking and talking to the point I could see the residents who wanted to listen to me were getting annoyed. When I finished the tune I was playing I said to my mother and her friend "if you 2 ladies don't mind there are folks here to want to listen so please stop talking so loudly." And with that said my mother yelled out "I'm your mother never mind me being quiet." Say what?? LOL!! I think most of the people who heard it looked and gave her a dirty look and she pretty much didn't say another word until the gig was over. I never did invite her to another gig. eek

#498791 - 06/15/20 03:46 PM Re: Annoying Things People Say to Musicians [Re: Uncle Dave]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave

Don't let the small percentage of crabby patrons spoil your mission. Bring the music to the masses, check your ego at the door and cash the check when you're done. Music Business 101.

I agree and I've said before that playing music professionally has to be almost a calling of sorts. That's why I finally got out-dealing with the "crabby patrons" (who in my case were nursing home ADs that looked like 12 years old girls) began to overcome my desire to do the job. When I was playing bass in bars with a band, the other band members acted as a sort of "buffer zone" between me and the audience. They were there to take part of the heat off of me. In nursing homes it's you and them and that's it. You get all of the money, but you also get all of the problems.

#498793 - 06/15/20 06:43 PM Re: Annoying Things People Say to Musicians [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By W Tracy Parnell
I've said before that playing music professionally has to be almost a calling of sorts.

There's no "ALMOST" in my definition.

This business of show is HARD. ("it's the hard that makes it great", to quote Tom Hanks) The hours suck, it strains even the strongest of personal relationships, it makes having a traditional "social life" (what's THAT?) impossible, and you're always proving yourself. You're only as good as your last song. It's a calling ... a quest ... and you need to LOVE it - because mark my words: "It won't love you back".

You need to get all your jollies on your own. Make your own happy place, and remember the whole "service angle" - we're artists, but also servants. We serve up the good feels ... and most times - that feels pretty great.

#498796 - 06/15/20 08:13 PM Re: Annoying Things People Say to Musicians [Re: Dnj]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Nigel that is so funny

thanx rotf2

It is funny because it is so true laugh2 I am sure you have had audience members just like that.

#498804 - 06/16/20 04:10 AM Re: Annoying Things People Say to Musicians [Re: Nigel]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Nigel
Originally Posted By Dnj
Nigel that is so funny

thanx rotf2

It is funny because it is so true laugh2 I am sure you have had audience members just like that.

Nigel you got that right.....50+ years on stage and I was in every situation that could occur involving audiences. I found that how you handle it works the best for you and them. Only years of experience can put you in the right mind frame to handle each occurrence.
People are people. cool2

#498805 - 06/16/20 04:10 AM Re: Annoying Things People Say to Musicians [Re: Dnj]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
I am sure this topic has been around before, but some of the recent replies are more than very interesting.
I always remember the time when playing at a Christmas gathering, of being asked if I would like some finger food,(cheese, cabanosi,crackers, etc), (maybe to improve my dexterity) ???
Thankful, that I was not singing at the time!!!!!
I would like to hear more.
The rope idea has merit, but I am fortunate where I locate, which is behind an information desk, which gives me "some protection".
Ray

#498809 - 06/16/20 05:21 AM Re: Annoying Things People Say to Musicians [Re: Dnj]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Lately I've been thinking about putting some kind of rope like they use in the lines at movie theaters around the "stage" area. I don't like people getting in my face breathing on me these days!

Try this!!

Attachments
danger-high-voltage.jpg

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online