SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#498288 - 06/08/20 05:28 AM SMF Edit Pa4X
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I am trying to insert 8 or 16 bars into a midi for instrument solo. I can do it with Notation Composer,but that doesn't help me use the file elsewhere. Without a DAW,what is the easiest solution?

Bernie

#498292 - 06/08/20 06:29 AM Re: SMF Edit Pa4X [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Play the smf song in your sequencer on your keyboard.....
then simply add record another track in to the song

Edited by Dnj (06/08/20 06:42 AM)

#498294 - 06/08/20 06:39 AM Re: SMF Edit Pa4X [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Thanks Donny
I see that is one way,but seeing that I have a batch to do,I am wondering if a cut and paste may be easier.

#498299 - 06/08/20 08:02 AM Re: SMF Edit Pa4X [Re: Bernie9]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted By Bernie9
I am trying to insert 8 or 16 bars into a midi for instrument solo. I can do it with Notation Composer,but that doesn't help me use the file elsewhere. Without a DAW,what is the easiest solution?

Bernie

Hopefully this works, I do this on my SEQUENCER, but not with SMF, but on my original sequenced tunes if I need to add measures later. Results may vary...

Once file is loaded in Sequencer

1. MENU
2. SONG EDIT
3. TRACK -Checkmark ALL TRACKS cause you want to insert 8-16 bars for whole song
4. CUT INSERT (You may have to use COPY function instead here since you have pre-existing music you need still playing while you solo? same theory copy measures and insert ALL TRACKS)
5. INSERT MEASURES where you want
6. EXECUTE
7. SAVE YOUR NEW SEQUENCE

****SOMETIMES THIS AND FORMER PA 4X will not highlight the EXECUTE...It is a SOFTWARE glitch and make sure your song is saved, cause you will need to reboot. The EXECUTE function will work when rebooted...

Surprised Korg doesn't know about this issue...It is a hassle when I am sequencing...Have good back up habits

Not sure if this helps or what you needed...But I thought that is what you need...

Let me know if this at least gets you closer to what you are trying to accomplish

#498301 - 06/08/20 08:55 AM Re: SMF Edit Pa4X [Re: Steve A]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Bernie, on my Pa900, the procedure is as Steve A has written - but if I follow correctly (and I'm not on my kb at this time) that would give you however many bars you created of silence ... if you perhaps want to keep the bass and/or drum pattern of the SMF going, you would have to COPY the measures you want, INSERT them where you want, and delete any unwanted tracks from those measures ...
It all depends on the end result you are looking for ...

#498302 - 06/08/20 09:14 AM Re: SMF Edit Pa4X [Re: Bernie9]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
What if you made a brand-new MIDI. Then:
- COPY the first part of the original song into it.
- ADD the blank measures for your solo
- APPEND the remaining part of the original song
- DELETE the original song if you no longer need it

If there is an area on the disk dedicated to the original song, depending on the file architecture, I can see why the machine may not like the idea of "inserting" measures. (Because the expanded song may no longer fit in the same disk track and sector.)

I never mess with MIDIs. But from a computer storage perspective your machine may like this approach better. My $.02.

#498311 - 06/08/20 11:22 AM Re: SMF Edit Pa4X [Re: TedS]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
$.02 more ... with every change you make SAVE it ... when working on a song, I will add AAA to the title so its faster to find in an alpha list and then add a revision number at the end, i.e., AAA Title 1; AAA Title 2, etc. so if really screw one up, I just have to reload the most recent ...

#498314 - 06/08/20 12:38 PM Re: SMF Edit Pa4X [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Thank you Steve,TedS,and Tony
I have enough to get started.

Bernie

#498348 - 06/09/20 08:36 AM Re: SMF Edit Pa4X [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Quote Steve A,
Let me know if this at least gets you closer to what you are trying to accomplish

Steve
I followed your instructions to a "T",and it is exactly what is on the sequencer edit page.
I went to merge/all tracks/start and ending meas to copy/to all tracks meas #/execute. Then exit to main page and saved to existing midi. No luck,it seemed to have saved it fine,but didn't.

It is not the SMF(Tune1000),and the sequencer has performed other chores like key changes and mutes.
Maybe the Korg boys know what is wrong. As you said,I didn't want to use "Cut and Insert",just insert the measures at the designated place.

#498426 - 06/10/20 06:43 AM Re: SMF Edit Pa4X [Re: Bernie9]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted By Bernie9
Quote Steve A,

Steve
I followed your instructions to a "T",and it is exactly what is on the sequencer edit page.
I went to merge/all tracks/start and ending meas to copy/to all tracks meas #/execute. Then exit to main page and saved to existing midi. No luck,it seemed to have saved it fine,but didn't.

It is not the SMF(Tune1000),and the sequencer has performed other chores like key changes and mutes.
Maybe the Korg boys know what is wrong. As you said,I didn't want to use "Cut and Insert",just insert the measures at the designated place.

Sorry I didn't see this yesterday Bernie....I did a test right now & I just did it perfectly...

and it saved ...I just did a 4 bar test sequence named it TEST1...then went and merged and checked repeat 2X thereby tripling my track and named it TEST2...12 bars now to edit as I see fit...Now I can go back and cut all day long...I now have a 4 bar complete version and a 12 bar tripled version...It on my USB drive in the Sequencer saved as a MIDI

Try it again ???

*** You then need to do some math to cut out everything EXCEPT your 8-16 bars addition...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online