SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#49835 - 04/07/05 03:25 AM Question for Alec Pagida
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I have the KN7000 keyboard and have accumulated several full SD Cards. I thought it would be a good idea to transfer them all to a 1GB Card using the KN SD Explorer tool - is this possible or would I still be restricted to 99 Folders?

I would also be interested in other member's views on this.

Regards,

Aud (U.K.)

#49836 - 04/07/05 03:40 AM Re: Question for Alec Pagida
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Hi there - my understanding of the SD card V Keyboard is that the spare capacity of the SD card is immaterial. There is a maximum of 99 folders allowed.

For instance you could have 99 folders with 1 item in each one so that the capacity may be reading 30% usage. You can load more data into each folder BUT not create more than 99.

If you use the BACKUP feature for your various SD cards using SD Explorer you can MERGE them into a larger one providing you are still not exceeding the 99 folders limit.

Joan

[This message has been edited by Joan (edited 04-07-2005).]

#49837 - 04/07/05 04:21 AM Re: Question for Alec Pagida
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hi Audrey
Joan's right unless Alec has some clever way of creating more folders - anyway what you doing with all those files...chuckle...I thought I'd got more than enough with over 80 folders full of files...are you a secret .cmp collector?
Rog

#49838 - 04/07/05 09:01 AM Re: Question for Alec Pagida
jrw Offline

Loc: Salem, OR USA
Hi; What type of files are on the SD card? If they are In the PRIVATE and SD_SOUND folder there should be no problem. Assuming you have a computer with a SD card reader. Let me know. Dick

#49839 - 04/07/05 04:26 PM Re: Question for Alec Pagida
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Audrey,
First, Joan and Roger are correct - 99 folders is the limit for Technics format files.
Unless you have a good reason to transfer all your files to a 1GB card, I would leave them on separate cards. The largest card I use is 128MB and I am finding that as it fills up, the 'Save' times are getting longer and longer and almost approaching Floppy disc save time !!
I just did a comparison saving the same file on the 128MB card and an 8MB card. Using the 'Performance' save option, it took 13 Seconds on the 8MB card and 38 Seconds on the 128MB card - nearly three times as long! The 128MB card I used, is only about 50% full and the 8MB card is about 85% full. So judging by these results and if they can be projected to a 1GB card, goodness knows how long it will take to save a performance on a 1GB card, when it is getting rather full
Loading times from both cards are of course much shorter and more or less the same - around 5 - 6 seconds for the 'test' file.

Just my opinion........

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#49840 - 04/08/05 04:46 PM Re: Question for Alec Pagida
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Thank you all for your replies to my SD Card question. I did suspect it was something to do with the Technics programming mainly because over the years I have found that Technics had a unique way of doing every-thing on their musical instruments.

As you all know, most of Technics pre-programmed floppies had 10 or more files on them and I followed their lead when making my own floppies. Most of these have been saved to SD Cards for practical reasons and therefore every folder on the card has 20 files to each folder. However, if as Joan says 99 folders is the limit whatever the card size, there is little point in buying a 1GB card. Thank you for that Joan, you saved me making an unnecessary expensive purchase.

Best wishes to you all.

Aud (U.K.)

#49841 - 04/10/05 04:50 PM Re: Question for Alec Pagida
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Audrey, I see Alec didn't respond to your question, but he has covered this topic many times. You are limited to the 99 folders on any SD card, but not limited to 20 files for each folder. If you want to take the extra time to load into custom memory you can gain much more storage: 20x20x99=39600 files. Actually, memory size is more limiting than the amount of folders and files, but with your large SD card, you should have a lifetime of card stuffing ahead of you. I've been editing my archives and loading the SD with custom saves and it's only 512 meg. So far, with over 500 songs saved I've filled 3% of the card and will probably get every single file I have on that card.

#49842 - 04/11/05 01:35 AM Re: Question for Alec Pagida
RMepstead Offline

Hiya Bud
My limited experience of custom memory is that when you replace styles in custom memory with other styles the original ones are wiped out and cannot be retraced by loading from the SD Card although you have saved them on the SD Card earlier on. Please tell us more...or should I do a search on historic postings?
Rog

#49843 - 04/11/05 04:41 AM Re: Question for Alec Pagida
Sandgroper Offline

Loc: Busselton, Western Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by RMepstead:
Hiya Bud
My limited experience of custom memory is that when you replace styles in custom memory with other styles the original ones are wiped out and cannot be retraced by loading from the SD Card although you have saved them on the SD Card earlier on. Please tell us more...or should I do a search on historic postings?
Hi Rog
You can easily get around this by saving customs in folders, just like normal styles.This gives you twenty styles ( custom ) per space normaly taken up by one song They take longer to save and load per bank, but the indivdual customs styles from the loaded bank are there instantly.
Regards
Eddie
Rog

#49844 - 04/11/05 08:16 AM Re: Question for Alec Pagida
RMepstead Offline

Hiya Eddie
Yes I did as you suggest with a group of custom styles one of which I used for a particular song called Get Happy - the custom Style was called Dorsey Band and I had it saved/set both in Panel Memory and on my SD Card in a folder.
Whilst at my keyboard club someone used my keyboard to demonstrate how easy it was to load new custom styles and in the process loaded over the top of Dorsey Band amongst others without my knowledge.
Next time we came to perform that number and I loaded Get Happy/Dorsey Band from the SD Card a completely different rhythm came up which was a bit of a shock at the time - and we had to move on pretty sharpish!!!
Having rediscovered Dorsey Band subsequently I moved it from Custom Style to Memory Bank 'A' where it is safe from accidental removal providing I keep my SD Card locked....
But, of course that takes us straight back to the 20 x 98 storage scenario no matter the size of the SD Card. Then plus only the one set of custom styles in the last folder, and currently in custom style area and I'm not sure the maximum number of custom styles that the KN7000 will hold at the same time.
So I stand to be corrected but I believe the equation should read (20 x 98) + (1 folder of 20 files containing largest number of custom styles which can be held)

[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 04-11-2005).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online