SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#497858 - 05/30/20 08:24 AM My another PSR-S950 demo… and more…
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Hello everyone,

hope to catch up with everything that’s going on in this community soon, but for now I keep filtering incoming information

As for music I still going back and forth about whether to perform everything on PSR or to go with non-arranger keyboard and a guitar.

Yesterday I recorded my another demo of my old PSR-S950. This is my first attempt to include country style into my playing, also these Latin styles are quite hard to follow

As for my second concept, maybe I just use it as a vacation, because I play nearly everyday and this way I get some distance. But frankly I’m not sure that PSR can be replaced with simpler things like these:

Actually I’ve never played the guitar publicly, so I’m not sure how serious I’m about this instrument.

As for the piano, this is why I have Juno DS. Tried it once on a gig; realized, that it requires better speakers than Yamaha - you can plug PSR into multimedia speakers and even at high volume it can sound fine, while with Juno DS you get distortions.

Hope you are all doing fine; my best wishes to all of you.

#497859 - 05/30/20 08:39 AM Re: My another PSR-S950 demo… and more… [Re: Kabinopus]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Hi Sergej,

First of all allow me to compliment you on your overall proficiency and versatality both in the instruments that you play and the music that you create or replicate. I don't like the PSR song very much but that is rather due to me not being into heavy electric guitars etc. By contrast your simple rendition of Yesterday on the classical guitar is a real steal and a pleasure on the ears. ( I feel like adding vocals to it......). Similarly your piano playing is as impressive as ever though personally I think you might even enhance your sound by for instance using the Addictive Keys VST piano sounds......
Thank you for sharing, greetings from Holland,

regards
John

#497860 - 05/30/20 08:49 AM Re: My another PSR-S950 demo… and more… [Re: john smies]
Dnj Offline

clapOnce again an outstanding mix of music and styles!
Your heartfelt playing and musicianship really shines thru in your music. Just a pleasure to listen and watch you perform ....
thank you for sharing your work with us. cool2

#497868 - 05/30/20 11:29 AM Re: My another PSR-S950 demo… and more… [Re: Kabinopus]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Loved every video - you are so very talented my friend.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#497870 - 05/30/20 11:47 AM Re: My another PSR-S950 demo… and more… [Re: Kabinopus]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Great job as always. I preferred "Yesterday" and the Juno performance.

#497872 - 05/30/20 12:08 PM Re: My another PSR-S950 demo… and more… [Re: Kabinopus]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I like your Juno performance.. I can hear the dynamic changes in the sound as you play differently.. Soft, loud, staccato, soft and warm, loud and bright.. Usually I only hear this in better VST's.

Are you aware of the Super layer feature? You can combine up to 5 layers with edits to get a full sound.. Maybe this is why you say you get distortion easily..

Great job..

#497876 - 05/30/20 01:34 PM Re: My another PSR-S950 demo… and more… [Re: Kabinopus]
Kabinopus Offline

Thank you, John, Donny, Gary, W Tracy Parnell, Fran, it’s nice to get your replies.

Fran, in my case the problem was in small speakers that I used. There were good and large speakers at the place, but someone had messed up the cables and I had to use my portable ones at maximum volume, and I guess Juno’s sound is less processed and has wider range of frequencies, something like that. Better speakers or some EQ, I believe, would’ve solved the problem. It also can be that since PSR has speakers of its own, its sound is already adjusted to them and any comparable ones.

John, actually there are five songs in that PSR video, the first one happened to be quite long; I usually prefer softer music myself and nylon guitar is my favorite, but sometimes I like to play the PSR this way.

I keep trying making “demo” videos as someday I hope to get some support from some store or a manufacturer; have a thought that when the things are back to normal, at least Yamaha would let me to make a video with Genos or SX900 at their office in Moscow. In the same time arranger keyboards is surely not a very popular subject in Russia. Just think: when I got my PSR-S950 about 7 years ago, the price was about 60.000 rubles. Right now you’d have to pay 140.000-160.000 rubles for SX-900.

But as we know, where there’s a will, there’s a way; keyboards like PSR-S670 are much more affordable(about 54.000 rubles) and sound rather similar.

I often think that even S950 is already too much; too much to listen to, too much to carry. I happened to grow up with arrangers and only when I was about 22 or so I got my first guitar (the one in the video). Sometimes it feels like this guitar and a keyboard with good EP sounds is all I need (which is Juno DS). And I keep my PSR in a bag. But there’s a chance that if I somehow get SX900 of Genos I will abandon everything else because you know how seductive these machines can be.

But for now restaurants are closed here and it’s mostly this simple guitar which keeps me occupied.

Edited by Kabinopus (05/31/20 12:27 AM)

#497893 - 05/31/20 06:52 AM Re: My another PSR-S950 demo… and more… [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
I like your Juno performance.. I can hear the dynamic changes in the sound as you play differently.. Soft, loud, staccato, soft and warm, loud and bright.. Usually I only hear this in better VST's.
Are you aware of the Super layer feature? You can combine up to 5 layers with edits to get a full sound..
Great job..

Fran.."I can hear the dynamic changes in the sound as you play differently"

The Roland Pianos sound so nice on the Juno headphone...+1

Sergi..Since I was a kid this song you have performed here
"Ti Voglio Bene Assai" was played in my house
all the time and still today one of my favorite Italian songs.
Btw I loved the Modulation toward the end! Bravo!

"If music can warm your heart, language doesn’t matter."

Edited by Dnj (05/31/20 07:04 AM)

#497916 - 05/31/20 12:12 PM Re: My another PSR-S950 demo… and more… [Re: Kabinopus]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Very nice playing, Kinbinopus. I think you mentioned you preparing to perform at a restaurant? Any instrument you pick, they'll be lucky to have you, but I think the solo guitar or piano would be the way to go. Maybe the arranger if they want some dancing, but most restaurants that have music want a lower volume and more transparent/intimate sound, that solo piano and guitar will excel at.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#497922 - 05/31/20 02:36 PM Re: My another PSR-S950 demo… and more… [Re: Kabinopus]
Kabinopus Offline

Thank you, Donny, for the video, it’s beautiful. I thought this song was released in 1986, just as me grin So it’s either I have a wrong data, or you were a kid almost when I was a kid; or there’s an another explanation...

Montunoman, thank you! I agree with you upon this vision.

Perhaps, I don’t use the term “restaurant” accurately enough; you know, you can plan to play in one place but end up in completely different one. Last time I ended up playing in some family cafe, where a stage for musicians and playing area for kids are the same laugh and it was so loud there that PSR seemed to be more capable to compete with the noise. I used to play an acoustic piano at coffeehouse before at that was fine, and playing a grand piano in a fancy restaurant was the best, but eventually I figured that with a keyboard and a car I would be able to play in more places (today there are no places with piano in my area). Initially I thought that playing PSR for 3-4 hours would be easier than playing just a piano, perhaps, it is not so. Oh, well, it was actually digital pianos at some restaurants which made me to think about changes. I know that I’ve been complaining about it before. Perhaps, being completely digital is not so great, you had to have either some vocal, or an acoustic piano, or a guitar or something to make such a long playing bearable. Something not so perfect, not so predictable.

They say that a musician should play for his audience and not for himself; but I don’t really see how it would work. You can make a sandwich for somebody else, not eating it yourself, but playing music you are inevitably first in line to eat it all and if you know that there’s something wrong with it, no matter how the audience reacts, you just know that you won’t be playing here for long.

Even if I try to analyze how people react to videos on YouTube I see that it’s rather unpredictable; attempts to please, to sell - they are not working out; I guess, it’s more about passion, sometimes you have it, sometimes you don’t, and people feel it quite well, or it’s a pure lottery all the time, who knows?

Edited by Kabinopus (05/31/20 03:04 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online