SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#497640 - 05/25/20 11:07 AM Re: Piano learning apps [Re: spalding1968]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By spalding1968
These apps are useful to a degree however they still require the user to be very self disciplined. What I find is that the biggest problem to any student learning a new instrument, is the lack of self discipline and the inability of the parents to manage their child’s, or even their own time . The failure to put a structure in terms of scheduled practise times to stick to is the single most impacting factor on a students success or failure . It’s a real challenge and sadly no app can substitute this .

Yes, discipline is required for anything you wantto archieve in life..

But what these apps do, they try to keep you motivated..
They don’t emphase on the things you do wrong
Instead they reward you for the things you do great..
And when you play a song flawless, they give extra bonusses..

This keeps young people motivated..

For most people the most difficult part of playing piano is coordination between both hands...
Now the program i tried gives hundreds of extra excersises to improve just this..
So people while improving slowly still get the rewards of doing different things..

Another thing i noticed was that they also promote hanons excersises, they turn it into kind of a contest, slowly improving your speed.. making it a challenge.. and this is exactly what the youngsters know from their gaming mentallity..

So yes, dedication is required, but all the motivation build into the app gives people a better chance...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#497661 - 05/25/20 10:32 PM Re: Piano learning apps [Re: bruno123]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By bruno123
Rikki, share the highlights of your piano/chord studies, we may be able to add to, or learn from, what you are doing. It would be a nice topic.

John C.

Hi John,
hard to know where to start. My chords , I sort of know already, can’t necessarily play them , but learnt about them from an old Bill Irwin book many years ago.

What I’ve always lacked is the ability to know what to play, so , I used to play from the sheet music , note for note, never had to try and think for myself.

Ok, so now I have the lessons. They are based on specific songs, but basically no reason why what she teaches you for one song, can’t be applied to others. I think most of the songs are taught from lead sheets, but , they also have a version that’s fully notated, Prefer what she teaches off the lead sheet, so one can work out what ideas sound best, and basically come up with one’s own arrangement.

Some of the tunes, if I actually saw them fully notated, I wouldn’t have gone near them. Too hard , basket. ie the Intro she has to Make You Feel My Love .
Beginner 3 level. Seeing all those notes written on the staff, just looks so complicated, but by the time she explains it, no where near as daunting.

Just been a lot of fun.

My keyboards, the bit of playing I did do, (when I wasn’t busy converting styles or learning everything that the keyboard was capable of , haha) I really only ever played held left hand chords, single finger r/h melody. Never really ventured bound that.

Probably bit late to get back to piano, but better late than never. Haha

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#497663 - 05/25/20 10:50 PM Re: Piano learning apps [Re: Bernie9]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9

I bought one of the books from Rikki's coarse entitle "100 Left Hand Patterns",to try before trying the coarse itself.

I was looking for a method of left hand accompaniment that can be used for different songs. It is a good book for those that are not absolute beginners,as we know chords and right hand melody. I find that for many songs,one can pick out the accompaniment that fits,and sounds pretty good for arpeggiating type left hand. I do think,however,that there is nothing like the real accompaniment written by the composer for a particular song. I should live so long as to learn one at a time,and build up a repertoire.

Hi Bernie,
on Pianote?

wasn’t aware of the book you mentioned.

I know they brought out some books, but I wrongly assumed it was just the same stuff as on the online course, but in written and notation form to save downloading the stuff from the course.

Must take a peek. Sounds interesting.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#497673 - 05/26/20 06:58 AM Re: Piano learning apps [Re: rikkisbears]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Originally Posted By bruno123
Rikki, share the highlights of your piano/chord studies, we may be able to add to, or learn from, what you are doing. It would be a nice topic.

John C.

Hi John,
hard to know where to start. My chords , I sort of know already, can’t necessarily play them , but learnt about them from an old Bill Irwin book many years ago.

What I’ve always lacked is the ability to know what to play, so , I used to play from the sheet music , note for note, never had to try and think for myself.

Ok, so now I have the lessons. They are based on specific songs, but basically no reason why what she teaches you for one song, can’t be applied to others. I think most of the songs are taught from lead sheets, but , they also have a version that’s fully notated, Prefer what she teaches off the lead sheet, so one can work out what ideas sound best, and basically come up with one’s own arrangement.

Some of the tunes, if I actually saw them fully notated, I wouldn’t have gone near them. Too hard , basket. ie the Intro she has to Make You Feel My Love .
Beginner 3 level. Seeing all those notes written on the staff, just looks so complicated, but by the time she explains it, no where near as daunting.

Just been a lot of fun.

My keyboards, the bit of playing I did do, (when I wasn’t busy converting styles or learning everything that the keyboard was capable of , haha) I really only ever played held left hand chords, single finger r/h melody. Never really ventured bound that.

Probably bit late to get back to piano, but better late than never. Haha

Interesting...

#497716 - 05/26/20 10:15 PM Re: Piano learning apps [Re: Bachus]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus
It convinced me that when the right app is choosen, its fun, and educational
And it really teaches music...
The apps however all come with a monthly fee..

Hi Bachus,
I had a look at Playground Sessions a few years back . At that stage I don’t think it was an app, it was online lessons. unless they coincidentally happen to have the same name.
The only thing that put me off is, they charged a monthly fee, but they also charged for the sheet music used. Gather things may have changed. I also checked out another site at the time, called, Piano with Willie. I really enjoyed watching his lessons , they were more based on Jazz and Standards.
Never ended up doing either. New Korg arrived on the scene, piano thoughts went out the window.
Wish I’d gone ahead now, especially the piano with Willie course.

One good thing you have with the app, is the real-time feedback ie if you’re improving and doing it right.
Apparently I can send stuff into my teaches and they’ll check to see if right or wrong, but it’s more complicated to get any feedback.

Edited by rikkisbears (05/26/20 10:18 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#497727 - 05/27/20 04:17 AM Re: Piano learning apps [Re: rikkisbears]
Dnj Offline

Quote:
The only thing that put me off is, they charged a monthly fee,

This should just equate to paying for lessons if you went to a music school, teacher for lessons... confused1

#497761 - 05/27/20 12:48 PM Re: Piano learning apps [Re: rikkisbears]
Bachus Offline

It convinced me that when the right app is choosen, its fun, and educational
And it really teaches music...

Hi Bachus,
I had a look at Playground Sessions a few years back . At that stage I don’t think it was an app, it was online lessons. unless they coincidentally happen to have the same name.
The only thing that put me off is, they charged a monthly fee, but they also charged for the sheet music used. Gather things may have changed. I also checked out another site at the time, called, Piano with Willie. I really enjoyed watching his lessons , they were more based on Jazz and Standards.
Never ended up doing either. New Korg arrived on the scene, piano thoughts went out the window.
Wish I’d gone ahead now, especially the piano with Willie course.

One good thing you have with the app, is the real-time feedback ie if you’re improving and doing it right.
Apparently I can send stuff into my teaches and they’ll check to see if right or wrong, but it’s more complicated to get any feedback.

Thats the samething Rikki,
They offer. A subscription that offers access to all their lessons..
And 5 songs/month for €10, extra songs cost €2..

There also is a lifelong sub for €200, comes with 40 songs..
It has a huge selection of modern copyrighted songs..
Copyrighted songs is what makes it expensive..

#497765 - 05/27/20 02:18 PM Re: Piano learning apps [Re: Dnj]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Quote:

This should just equate to paying for lessons if you went to a music school, teacher for lessons... confused1

Hi Donny,
it wasn’t so much the monthly fee I was referring to, but that they also charged for the
sheet music.

Certainly don’t resent anyone charging a monthly fee. Haha

The other site I mentioned Piano with Willie the lessons and all the sheet music was included in the fee.

My current course Pianote includes all the sheet music , etc ( not a huge selection at the moment but growing) plus 500 chord charts ? ( lyrics and chords, no written melody notes) for their 500 songs in 5 Days Pak all included in the online course fee.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#497766 - 05/27/20 02:24 PM Re: Piano learning apps [Re: rikkisbears]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Quote:

Hi Donny,
it wasn’t so much the monthly fee I was referring to, but that they also charged for the
sheet music.

Certainly don’t resent anyone charging a monthly fee. Haha

The other site I mentioned Piano with Willie the lessons and all the sheet music was included in the fee.

My current course Pianote includes all the sheet music , etc ( not a huge selection at the moment but growing) plus 500 chord charts ? ( lyrics and chords, no written melody notes) for their 500 songs in 5 Days Pak all included in the online course fee.

I been looking into pianote as an option tough..

The package looks great..

But what to expect?

And what makes it better then just using a paper course like alfreds?

There is no interactive app?

So basically its just you and sheets? And a video..

But for the alfred lessons there are also good free video’s online..

#497767 - 05/27/20 02:35 PM Re: Piano learning apps [Re: Bachus]
rikkisbears Offline

Thats the samething Rikki,
They offer. A subscription that offers access to all their lessons..
And 5 songs/month for €10, extra songs cost €2..

There also is a lifelong sub for €200, comes with 40 songs..
It has a huge selection of modern copyrighted songs..
Copyrighted songs is what makes it expensive..

[/quote]

Hi Bachus,

My lot currently has a special yearly subscription at $127 USD , (normally more expensive, ) but they give a 90 day money back guarantee .

They may have changed structure, not sure, because initially I only signed up for 6 months, just in case I didn’t like it. There again if I didn’t ,I’m guessing I would have gotten my money back.

I had checked out a lot of Lisa’s (Pianote ) utube video clips before I signed up.

$2 to $3 a week is cheap entertainment. Haha

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online