SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#496522 - 05/07/20 07:21 AM My Favorite Jimy Buffett Song...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
is A Pirate Looks At 40, which I believe pretty much describes my life to a "T". I've spent much of my life on the water, visited more than 100 countries, and if my health hadn't gone to Hell, I would be sailing today. The weather is a bit chilly, but the wind is woofing along at about 20 knots from the northwest, which would be perfect for sailing down Chesapeake Bay.

A Pirate Looks at Forty
Jimmy Buffett
Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call
Wanted to sail upon your waters since I was three feet tall
You've seen it all, you've seen it all

Watched the men who rode you switch from sails to steam
And in your belly you hold the treasures few have ever seen
Most of them dream, most of them dream

Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late
The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder
I'm an over-forty victim of fate
Arriving too late, arriving too late

I've done a bit of smuggling, I've run my share of grass
I made enough money to buy Miami, but I pissed it away so fast
Never meant to last, never meant to last

And I have been drunk now for over two weeks
I passed out and I rallied and I sprung a few leaks
But I got stop wishing, got to go fishing, down to rock bottom again
Just a few friends, just a few friends

I go for younger women, lived with several a while
Though I ran them away, they'd come back one day
Still could manage to smile
Just takes a while, just takes a while

Mother, mother ocean, after all the years I've found
My occupational hazard being my occupation's just not around
I feel like I've drowned, gonna head uptown
I feel like I've drowned, gonna head uptown

Have a wonderful day, everyone,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (05/07/20 07:23 AM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#496529 - 05/07/20 08:15 AM Re: My Favorite Jimy Buffett Song... [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy

Have a wonderful day, everyone,

Gary cool

Thanks, Gary, you as well ...

#496534 - 05/07/20 08:55 AM Re: My Favorite Jimy Buffett Song... [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Gary a great job all around one of your best quality songs.....
Love Jimmy..your vocal and music stellar thank you for sharing.....
stay safe.

#496537 - 05/07/20 09:06 AM Re: My Favorite Jimy Buffett Song... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks Tony and Donny. Today's just another day, and the only difference is I am headed to the liquor store to stock up for the next two weeks and staying away from others.

Ironically, staying away from the rest of the world is contrary to what I learned way back when I was still working in the field of medicine. Nearly everyone that comes in contact with a flu or virus will not contract it, and if they do, it will most likely be mild unless you have an underlying disease that affects your immune system. And, even then, your chances of dying slim at best. In my case, the slightest pulmonary infection would prove fatal in a very short period of time, but for the most part, those that are otherwise fairly healthy would quickly develop an immunity to the virus.

Good luck, my friends,

Gary cool

#496538 - 05/07/20 09:27 AM Re: My Favorite Jimy Buffett Song... [Re: travlin'easy]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Nice job Gary. All kidding aside I do like some JB songs and that is one of his best. Keep singing and playing to keep your spirts up.
When things get better maybe just go for some short rides on a tour boat to get back on the water. Not like sailing yourself but it might be a good remedy for missing it.

#496554 - 05/07/20 02:19 PM Re: My Favorite Jimy Buffett Song... [Re: travlin'easy]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Gary,

I remember you doing that tune a few years back. I think the first time I heard of it you sang it. Yea I must have been living under a rock because the only 2 tunes of JB I knew was Cheeseburger in Paradise and Margaritaville.

Stay well my friend.

#496555 - 05/07/20 03:46 PM Re: My Favorite Jimy Buffett Song... [Re: Stephenm52]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
My favorite too.

#496558 - 05/07/20 06:12 PM Re: My Favorite Jimy Buffett Song... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Bill, unfortunately, the disease I have does not get better. Pulmonary Fibrosis is 100-percent terminal, usually in 5 years of less after diagnosis. I knew I had the disease a couple years before confirming the diagnosis and when I finally saw a pulmonary doctor, he told Carol and I that I had 2 to 3 years to live at most. I'm in that 3rd year, and struggle for every breath. Today, when I drove to the liquor store, I put on a mask before entering and had to get the young gal there to carry out my booze - I nearly passed out, despite the fact I was on supplementary oxygen at 3 litters a minute. My boating days are over, but the memories will remain until the day I die.

Steve, there are so many great JB songs and the list is nearly endless. I love them because each and every one of them tells a story in great detail, mainly about someone that pretty much grew up in the 70s and 80s, living the life that many of us would have loved to have live during our 20s and 30s.

Sparky, every time I see your photo with that boxer, it reminds me of the one we had when our children were very young. We absolutely loved that dog, she lived to about age 17 before dying and we never really got over her passing. Her name was Carmen, and I named her after my sister in law, who lives in Florida and of Puerto Rican descent. I worked with her way back when I was working at the University Of Maryland Hospital in 1965.

Thanks again, everyone for listening and commenting,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (05/07/20 06:13 PM)
Edit Reason: grammer

#496571 - 05/08/20 06:28 AM Re: My Favorite Jimy Buffett Song... [Re: travlin'easy]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Thanks Gary for sharing and it sounds real good!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online