SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4947 - 01/06/04 09:12 PM cheep midi controller
to the genesys Offline

Hi everyone
I am thinking about getting a 76 keyboard that can function as a midi controller for softsynth and also have a few basic sounds to play with in a band. Sounds like piano, organ strings and brass. I want something that is light and easy to carry.
Does any one know if such a thing exist?
O Yeah, I would like it to be under $500.

#4948 - 01/06/04 09:48 PM Re: cheep midi controller
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
All I can think of is...
Roland JV90, Korg 01/W Pro, Alesis QS series (Good controllers, nice sounds, especially strings and organs).
THat's about it.
Oh,check out Roland A series. They are hard to find though and some of them are controllers only, NO sounds.
You might also try to track down some of the older Korg stuff like M1 and T1/T3 (if you'll be able to find the pro version). They won't sound great, but would make very nice controllers.

If all fails check out some Technics boards. I've got the SxWSA-1. It sounds cool and makes a great controller. I think Tecnics stuff might be the way to go.

-ED-

#4949 - 01/07/04 12:53 AM Re: cheep midi controller
Anonymous
Unregistered

You could get a B3 LOL but that would be the opposite of what you would want so dont get that.
Seriously, It seems to me that if you do want those patches including some sweeter than the average brass patches, I would get into a mid line Yamaha keyboard. If you had to spend an extra 50-75 bucks, it would still be worth it in my opinion. the Roland controllers (A-??) can be found real cheap sometimes, but as 3351 said, it's a controller ( so youd have to get all of your sounds via soft synth). I personally don't like all keyboard tracks soft synthed. Through real good monitors you can certainly hear a difference. No doubt it must be from a lacking of certain harmonnic overtones because to me it seems quite a bit "thinner" when all the synth tracks are SW based.

#4950 - 01/07/04 05:38 AM Re: cheep midi controller
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 3351:
All I can think of is...
Roland JV90, Korg 01/W Pro, Alesis QS series (Good controllers, nice sounds, especially strings and organs).
THat's about it.
Oh,check out Roland A series. They are hard to find though and some of them are controllers only, NO sounds.
You might also try to track down some of the older Korg stuff like M1 and T1/T3 (if you'll be able to find the pro version). They won't sound great, but would make very nice controllers.

If all fails check out some Technics boards. I've got the SxWSA-1. It sounds cool and makes a great controller. I think Tecnics stuff might be the way to go.

-ED-

Are any of those keyboards under 40lbs? and do they still make them. Thanks all for responding

#4951 - 01/07/04 08:11 AM Re: cheep midi controller
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
My thoughts;

Roland A-30 (84 keys I think, no sound)
Roland A-37 (76 keys, no sound)
Roland A-37 (76 keys no sound)

As I understand it, the Roland A- series are very good controllers, but no sound. You could get an Alesis NanoPiano, or Nanosynth though used on ebay for maybe 150 (give or take) just for your sounds in a band. Although those sounds won't blow anyone away, they sure should work in a mix. The A-xx serires controllers can control lots of functions, moreso than the next few 76 key synths that you could get used for 500 or less. (not sure of their controlling abilities:

Alesis QS7 (7.1 and 7.2)
Alesis Quadrasynth
Kurzweil SP76.

I have a Roland XP-80. Sometimes you can get one of those for under 800. I know they cost more than you mentioned, but it's a very good synth for 800 or under and a very decent controller.

Be blessed.
Bob
<><

#4952 - 01/07/04 10:46 AM Re: cheep midi controller
3351 Offline

Well, most of the boards that I mentioned are in the $400 - $600 range. That's what they go for on e-bay. If you want something that's still being manufactured you'll have to spend a lot more then that.
I'm talking a few grand. From the brand new stuff $500 ain't gonna get you anything cool. Well, may be some of the Roland A stuff. But then you'll have to get an additional sound module if you want sounds.

-ED-

#4953 - 01/07/04 02:37 PM Re: cheep midi controller
to the genesys Offline

Well even if I get a controller with out any sounds, I guess that would be OK since I also would use a sound module. Is it important to have sounds on a keyboard?

#4954 - 01/07/04 04:06 PM Re: cheep midi controller
3351 Offline

Is it important?
Not at all. It's just a matter of how much you have to carry around with you. Especially if you're going to gigs.

The only benefit of having a keyboard with it's own sound is the fact that you don't have to carry additional synthesizer modules.

BTW
I believe the later Roland A series came with optional synthcards. Nothing fancy, but it covers most basic sounds. Would do OK pianos,brass,strings,some synth stuff, rhodes, organs etc.

-ED-

#4955 - 01/07/04 06:02 PM Re: cheep midi controller
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
I think you're asking for the impossible. To have a 76 key MIDI controller that is light and easy to carry is a non starter.

If I was in your shoes I would consider getting an Edirol or a Radium. Even though they don't have 76 keys, they have transpose buttons (problem solved!) plus lots of assignable knobs and sliders (which, funnily enough, the Roland ones do NOT have). They are also lightweight, portable and far more affordable than anything else out there at the moment.

Honest ask yourself... do you REALLY want to carry a 76 note keyboard around with you every time you have a band rehersal or a gig (along with all the tonnes of other stuff that will be part of your rig)?

Based on what you've said, I believe it may be in your interests to have a rethink about your entire set up.

-Equalizer

#4956 - 01/07/04 07:11 PM Re: cheep midi controller
to the genesys Offline

Thinking about it I think I want a 76 keyboard controller for when I need more keys than a 61 keyboard. I know I could press the transpose on my 61 keyboard but sometimes even that does not give me the total freedom to express musically like a 76 key or a 88. I always thaught that a 76 keyboard was a compromize between a 88 key piano and the electronics of a 61 key keyboard that has a lot of sounds. I had a 76 key keyboard but it was too heavy to take to band practice and gigs! I did it but it was a pain. That is why I thaught a 76 key midi controller keyboard would be lighter and thus sulve the problem. I don't even care if it is a use controller just as long as it has a good key feel and can do midi well. But I guess I am still living in dream land.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online