SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#493800 - 04/05/20 08:28 PM Just passing the time
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Just put this up so John C could pick apart the chord changes smile smile. Sax - PA1x Pro, Rhodes - Crumar SEVEN, Trumpet - Korg Triton (Ghosttown Coronet), Piano - NC2x, Chords - Thelonious Monk's House of Horrors (just kidding smile ). Not mixed, comped, or EQ'd. You'll need monitors or phones to hear any bass. I'll do it again on my big organ (KeyB Mk3) which sounds better (to me) than the Legend EXP. Subjective.

chas

https://app.box.com/s/97ri5tl47rlry7acp2rxuhy2cai9cr6t

Edited by cgiles (04/05/20 08:30 PM)

#493801 - 04/05/20 09:06 PM Re: Just passing the time [Re: cgiles]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Wow,
closed my eyes, transported to some, smokey , dingy little bar, ( as seen in the old Hollywood movies) quietly sitting in a corner , sipping on a cognac ( xo of course) listening to the music.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#493803 - 04/06/20 04:23 AM Re: Just passing the time [Re: rikkisbears]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Wow,
closed my eyes, transported to some, smokey , dingy little bar, ( as seen in the old Hollywood movies) quietly sitting in a corner , sipping on a cognac ( xo of course) listening to the music.

Great description Rikki! Play on Chas!

#493804 - 04/06/20 05:36 AM Re: Just passing the time [Re: cgiles]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I hear you Chas. Good playing, Nice. Now that we have that out of the way let’s talk about the chords.

Because it is 6AM, I just listened to the beginning, will listen to the rest of the song later, when I am awake.

BUT, I love that word. (Smile) The song starts minor chord, same with Cry Me a River, Body and Soul, and many others. I believe that one of the reasons these songs became popular is how they are treating that minor chord.

Example when playing in a minor key:
The movement of a C minor:

1-C E G, lower note is C
2-C E G B lower note is B
3-C E G Bb lower note is Bb
4-C E G A lower note is A
4-Sometimes you can start with C E G D lower note is D, this will add more tension.

Listen to the original songs and you will hear the movement. This is better than playing a Cm chord with no movement.

Sometimes I use the movement to end a song (in a minor key) and start with these moving tones. Cm chord – the moving notes, G G# A – then I end with a Cm6 chord.

Chords should be telling a story, that adds so much to any song. And there goes two finger chords. ooops.

Chas, record the song again with a minor chord movement, your solo and style are good. The feeling you but into the song says a lot, nice.
John C.

#493805 - 04/06/20 05:37 AM Re: Just passing the time [Re: cgiles]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Chas - great rendition of a great song! Great sax playing too -- Thanks for sharing that gem! Very nice work as always!

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#493808 - 04/06/20 06:17 AM Re: Just passing the time [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Thanks guys, but this wasn't a serious performance. I was listening to the Sting/Chris Botti version and it inspired me to take a quick run at it (from memory smile ). That's the beauty of having a 'instant-record' studio.

John, I was just kidding about the chords. I'm probably too set in my approach to chording to change now (although it's never too late to learn or try something new). I started trying to emulate guys like Jimmy Smith, Don Patterson, Johnny 'Hammond' Smith, etc. 40 or 50 years ago and they were all 'jazz' organists and their style of chording/comping was non-traditional to say the least. I may be unique but because of my love of blues and R&B, I also developed a secondary, more basic approach to chording that I tend to use when playing those types of songs. I always thought 'jazz' chords ruined the 'feel' of this type of music. However, Fusion came along and sort of dispelled that notion smile. Anyway, appreciate your comments.

chas

#493810 - 04/06/20 06:28 AM Re: Just passing the time [Re: cgiles]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Can't comment on the chords. I'm not advanced enough to have any idea of what you're doing. What I can say is I like the sound of whatever it is. Nice job on a great tune.

#493811 - 04/06/20 06:30 AM Re: Just passing the time [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Chas great song thanx for sharing. Love the instrumentation
I always loved singing it.
But if I am being honest,.....,
Although as you stated it is an off the cuff "not Serious" recording that we both know
you could easily re-record and really make it shine with no problem. No need to apologize when posting a song,....
with ALL this down time why not try a different approach and
bring out that bass and do a few other things to produce it even better.
I am glad to see more people posting songs instead
of just talking about them we all learn from it.
Keep them coming.
That said I hope you and yours are safe and well...

take care

Edited by Dnj (04/06/20 07:31 AM)

#493813 - 04/06/20 06:56 AM Re: Just passing the time [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Thanks guys, but as others have stated, I'm not very inspired to play right now. I'm remote (by distance) from my immediate family so it's very depressing thinking about the long weeks ahead with very little human contact. I'm in contact with my kids and grandkids via Echo/Alexa but you soon get tired of looking at their little ugly mugs smile. I barely have the energy, desire, or inspiration to even do a two-pass multi-track, much less edit, mix, and fine-tune a song. I'm trying, but I think depression is winning.

chas

#493814 - 04/06/20 07:24 AM Re: Just passing the time [Re: cgiles]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Sounds great. I really liked the bluesy piano fills. Thanks for posting and I wish you well during these difficult times.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#493816 - 04/06/20 08:31 AM Re: Just passing the time [Re: montunoman]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
chas ... I very much enjoyed this ... a little more echo on the horn and I would have thought it was Botti ... saw him live in RI a few years ago ... after the show they were selling CDs in the lobby, but he paid a lot of attention to the people - talking and taking photos, signing autographs, etc. ... very personable ...

I had read John C's post before I heard the song and I was thinking "that sounds like the 'Funny Valentine' progression" ... of course it's also the "Masquerade" progression and who knows how many more ...

Again, I really enjoy your playing and interpretations ...
Thank you

And PLEASE do whatever is necessary to not fall to the grip of depression... get out, go for a walk, do sit-ups, do flight simulation, whatever, but do it ...

Edited by tony mads usa (04/06/20 08:33 AM)

#493824 - 04/06/20 11:35 AM Re: Just passing the time [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
One of my all time favorite songs from one of my all time favorite people.

R.

#493825 - 04/06/20 11:41 AM Re: Just passing the time [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Thanks Paul and Tony. I guess we (SZ members) should be grateful that neither us or our immediate family has yet contracted this horrible disease. Since most of us fall into the 'vulnerable' category (by age), it is more important than ever for us to follow ALL of the safety guidelines. Let's all be guided by science alone and remember that this virus couldn't care less about your ideology or political leanings. Eat healthy and by all means, GET SOME EXCERCISE! (and that doesn't mean practicing for the LUGE in your Barcalounger smile ).

chas

#493826 - 04/06/20 11:46 AM Re: Just passing the time [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By cgiles
GET SOME EXCERCISE! (and that doesn't mean practicing for the LUGE in your Barcalounger

My first smile today
coffee

#493829 - 04/06/20 11:53 AM Re: Just passing the time [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Thanks Paul and Tony. I guess we (SZ members) should be grateful that neither us or our immediate family has yet contracted this horrible disease. Since most of us fall into the 'vulnerable' category (by age), it is more important than ever for us to follow ALL of the safety guidelines. Let's all be guided by science alone and remember that this virus couldn't care less about your ideology or political leanings. Eat healthy and by all means, GET SOME EXCERCISE! (and that doesn't mean practicing for the LUGE in your Barcalounger smile ).

chas

Loved the song. You sure do play GUUUD.
My son's wife is a nurse. Others in her office have tested positive. She woke up with fever yesterday and will be tested today. She and my son are young and healthy and I'm sure they will be fine, even if they catch it.
Another son lives with us. He was at their house last week. Hoping he didn't bring it back with him.

#493831 - 04/06/20 11:58 AM Re: Just passing the time [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

chas

+++1 to ALL points ...

#493832 - 04/06/20 11:59 AM Re: Just passing the time [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By DonM

My son's wife is a nurse. Others in her office have tested positive. She woke up with fever yesterday and will be tested today. She and my son are young and healthy and I'm sure they will be fine, even if they catch it.
Another son lives with us. He was at their house last week. Hoping he didn't bring it back with him.

Don, your family is in our prayers ...

#493833 - 04/06/20 12:10 PM Re: Just passing the time [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Wow Don....and that's the scary thing about this particular disease, the innocent and unsuspecting transmission of this thing because of it's ability to be transmitted by a totally asymptomatic person. Young or not, your daughter-in-law's situation is cause for alarm (alarm....not panic) and I'm sure you know that all your friends here at SZ are hoping for the best possible outcome. We usually want our families around during times like this but now, with this virus, we are forced to keep our distance. Jeez, let's hope this thing is over soon.

chas

#493836 - 04/06/20 12:53 PM Re: Just passing the time [Re: cgiles]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Don, Wishing your family the best and prayers are coming your way.

#493838 - 04/06/20 01:15 PM Re: Just passing the time [Re: cgiles]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Don - sorry to hear about that situation - it is indeed a very scary time for all of us. Godspeed and may God bless you and your extended family throughout this tumultuous time in our lives.

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#493840 - 04/06/20 01:35 PM Re: Just passing the time [Re: DonM]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By DonM

All the best to you and your family.

Probably best thing your son can do is self isolate for the next couple of weeks on the (heaven forbid,) off chance he caught it too.

We had a lady on tv here the other night who was on one of those horror cruise ships with coved 19 .
Husband got it, she so far hasn’t,
They are now both quarantined in their home, but they stay well away from each other, they don’t share meals together, seperate rooms etc. so far so good.

Better safe than sorry.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online