SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#493125 - 03/29/20 10:26 AM Unexpected SD7 treat!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I got a bonus surprise today - When I plugged in my Fishman Triple Play guitar (Godin Montreal), I discovered that the wireless midi can feed the SD7 engine - both notes and chord recognition. This makes my decision so much easier to use this as my main rig. Here's my scenario:
My mic is plugged into XLR mic1 input accessing the harmonizer
My guitar(audio) is plugged into the mic2/guitar input
The wireless midi out from the guitar send a signal to the chord recognitions, and I can now play guitar, sing and generate realtime chord changes from the guitar.
This has been a plan of mine for about 2-3 years, since I got the Godin, but the Korg didn't seem to handle the wireless midi aspect as well as I wanted, so I resigned the guitar to a studio setup based on a hardware Midi interface that allows easy connection to any midi source. It's sweet, and I love having it at home.

This new discovery allows me to use the guitar to play realtime changes and not give up the bass and drums that the SD7 can provide. I have my day planned out now ... lots to learn!

#493131 - 03/29/20 10:57 AM Re: Unexpected SD7 treat! [Re: Uncle Dave]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Dave.
Have you seen AJ's guitar videos?

Deane

#493136 - 03/29/20 11:17 AM Re: Unexpected SD7 treat! [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Check out Larry Read on YouTube or FB.

#493139 - 03/29/20 12:09 PM Re: Unexpected SD7 treat! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bachus Offline

In many aspects Ketron is way ahead of the bunch...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#493150 - 03/29/20 03:12 PM Re: Unexpected SD7 treat! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

I stumbled on a few of Larry's videos when I started looking at the SD7, and I have to admit - I'm not a fan. I don't want to diss the guy, but I just don't see any entertainment value in his performance. Yes, he can operate the gear to an extent, but I'm just not his demographic, I guess. I have yet to see anyone but Dan O'neil that uses a harmonizer in a way that impresses me. I'm very fussy about that, and even though I posted a very lackluster performance of myself yesterday - that was an attempt, in dire times, to keep the positivity and NOT to showcase my skills. I'm SO far away from having a handle on this instrument, but mark my words - I WILL CONQUER IT. (lol)

#493155 - 03/29/20 04:47 PM Re: Unexpected SD7 treat! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Since this latest discovery - I kinda hope I don't have to go back to work too soon - I'm having a ball figuring out the ABCs of the Ketron and how it relates to my wireless MIDI guitar. This was my hope a few years ago ... took a while to get here, but I'm still optimistic. I still need to tame a few areas, I need to have the following things work consistently before I can give this a 2 thumbs up.
1) I want to write ONE Mic/Guitar preset and lock it so it stays that way no matter what mode I play in. It can't switch effects or levels when I use the midid player, then switch to guitar or keys or whatever. I believe it's possible, but I need more tests.
2) I need to have a level of comfort when switching between voice groups, registrations, and changing from user to factory patterns. IF the machine gets confused with this type of ping-pong navigation, then it's not ready to the stage. After I finish the testing, I'm hopeful that it proves itself as stage-stable.
3) As soon as I get the footswitch, I'll be able to perform as I would on stage and determine if the rapid button pushes and style changes I initiate during a performance can be handled in real time.

My thoughts are positive, and everything I read suggests that these 3 areas can be tamed. A few more days will be invaluable for testing them out. Any ideas or help from hands on users are greatly appreciated. I think I've seen every video on line that deals with this instrument. My eyes are tired!

#493248 - 03/30/20 06:05 PM Re: Unexpected SD7 treat! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Since this latest discovery - I kinda hope I don't have to go back to work too soon -

WOW - if there was ever a reason to say "be careful what you WISH for" ...
rolleyes

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online