SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#49267 - 01/28/02 07:12 PM KN6500 and Music Ministry
kbdguyTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
Just wondering if there are any other church musicians in this group who use their KN for music ministry. I would be interested to hear how you use it in such a setting. Thanks.
Tim Schaeffer

#49268 - 01/28/02 09:15 PM Re: KN6500 and Music Ministry
Dave Shively Offline

Loc: Calimesa, Ca, USA
Hi kbdguyTim,
I do play at church, but not full time. I only fill in when the regular organist is gone. I play a KN 6000,upgraded to 6500. It is very well recieved. At my church we are just getting into a little contemporary music, but have always sung chorus. I use 2 speakers with a sub-bass. Since the service is on the traditional side, I use rhythms with hymns that I have arranged. Not rock and roll, but approp. to the song. Onward Christian Soldiers - a March, Springs of Living Water - Broadway Show and a little gospel or soft backgrounds. I did get a good rhythm off the internet called, "chapel" and it goes with a lot of songs. Also some country.
I have also played at our church Christmas Dinner, with secular songs as well a traditional songs. As the scripture says, "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord". Maybe that is why I don't play full time. Ha,Ha. When I do play, I play for the Lord and He also enjoys the songs, the congregation just gets to listen in.
Best Regards,
Dave Shively
E-mail: nanshiv@aol.com

#49269 - 01/29/02 07:56 AM Re: KN6500 and Music Ministry
ALAN MAXEY Offline

Loc: U.K.
I play in my wife's traditional catholic church in Essex, England. I have a KN800 and KN6000. I use the 800 midi'ed to an Allen organ. With the careful use of a couple of blocks of polystyrene the 800 is placed over the top manual of the Allen. Being of limited ability I can transmit single fingered chord data to the Allen and control it by the swell and expression pedal, and people are most impressed. I use the KN6000 mainly at rehersals with midi files and a small group of singers, as it is too big to go on the Allen. If anybody has got any registrations suggestions for church use for the 6000 I will be most grateful..Alan..p.s..I started playing in the church with an SXK200!!

#49270 - 02/04/02 09:12 AM Re: KN6500 and Music Ministry
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
While I don't play before any type of audience, I have converted over 100 different styles to use for gospel music and have done 4 tapes of gospel songs and hymns. Look to the ballads for more sedate rhythms and you can use a lot of world and latin styles for the more rousing music. Sometimes a few small changes can make a style quite compatible for hymns. Maybe if there is enough demand for gospel music, I may put together a few zips for those who want these styles.

#49271 - 02/04/02 11:01 AM Re: KN6500 and Music Ministry
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hi Bud,
Whilst not being particularly religious I love Gospel Music. They are among the first styles I check out when buying a new keyboard. It is a pity that there are only ever one or two to be found and to be honest I have never seen a commercial disk anywhere that was all gospel styles. Maybe I missed one???
Having used some of your excellent conversions before you should produce your own disk and sell it on. I am sure the demand would be far higher than you imagine.
Best wishes
Tony
(If any of you are experiencing de-ja-vous then this is the thread this post was intended for! How it got elsewhere is beyond me, as are most things )

#49272 - 02/04/02 07:52 PM Re: KN6500 and Music Ministry
kbdguyTim Offline

Bud,

Please put my name on that list for your Gospel music styles. Actually, Gospel is merely just one of many styles of music used in churches today. Depending where one worships, they can hear anything from Bach to rock these days...but there's still something about that good ol' Gospel sound!
AMEN!

#49273 - 02/05/02 02:59 PM Re: KN6500 and Music Ministry
Mike Harrison Offline

Loc: Oxford U.K.
Hi Bud
Please add my name to your list, like Tony said it is a pity, there were two on my old kn2000 which I used quite a lot.
I expect there are some gospel styles out there somwhere,its just finding them thats the problem, keep up the good work.
Mike

#49274 - 02/05/02 06:47 PM Re: KN6500 and Music Ministry
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Tim,

I don't currently play at church but I used to play an organ at the previous church I attended. No fancy styles or anything, but it was great and I enjoyed it.

I have played my KN6000 at some home fellowship meetings, but the major problem I have is that one seldom knows how a song will go - eg will the song leader repeat the verse before going into the chorus; how many times will the chorus be sung, etc. Not like the hymns where you knew exactly what was going to happen. This is all OK if you are not using rhythms, but then you need to be a better keyboard player than I am to make it sound good.

However, I have experimented with a few songs and I have set out below those that use built-in styles on the KN6000:

Amazing Grace - Gospel 3/4
Just A Closer Walk With Thee - Gospel Ballad
Jesus At Your Name We Bow The Knee - Orch.Ballad
Jesus, Lover Of My Soul - 16 Beat Slow
I've Got Joy - Gospel Revival (variations 2 and 3 only; tempo 160)
Majesty, Worship His Majesty - Gospel 8 Beat (tempo 115)
To God Be The Glory - Manhattan Jazz

Although these use the built-in styles, I have often selected different instruments for L and R1/R2, and sometimes made some volume adjustments to parts.

I'd be pleased to hear of other settings that people use for praise and worship songs.

Regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Daniell (edited 02-05-2002).]

#49275 - 02/06/02 01:07 AM Re: KN6500 and Music Ministry
technicsplayer Offline

there is one brand new gospel among the free styles at http://home.c2i.net/gjgotaas/
click on the select a 6000 page.

#49276 - 02/06/02 08:52 PM Re: KN6500 and Music Ministry
kbdguyTim Offline

Mike,

Thanks for the suggested settings. It's been interesting to see how folks are using their KN's in ministry settings.

Blessings!
Tim Schaeffer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online